4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Keeps getting stolen. Bypassing the immobilizer?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Keeps getting stolen. Bypassing the immobilizer?

My car keeps getting stolen, likely by the same folks, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how.

I have a 98 max with a seemingly functioning immobilizer (Lock the car with the button, can't start it) which the insurance guys seem fairly adamant that if the car thief doesn't have my keyfob, they wont be able to get it started.

Well, needless to say, I've got all my keys, yet it keeps getting stolen. I'm looking into some solutions (aftermarket immobilizers, kill switches, etc) to hopefully prevent this from happening again, but I don't quite understand how it happens in the first place.

Any insights?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:59 PM

You could always pull the fuel pump fuse when you park the car. I'm just saying. ..
Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been pulling the ignition fuse, which is how it's managed to stay in my parking spot for the past couple days. Im always paranoid theres a chance this **** will find out its missing, find a fuse somewhere else, and a day later its gone again.

Where is the fuel pump fuse? I checked around but I couldnt locate it.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM

Welcome to Maxima.org. Where are you located? We may have members in your area who can help or refer you to a shop to get a theft proof immobilizer system installed.

The 1999 models were the first year for the NATS theft avoidance immobilizer system. Some of us have suffered from accidentally immobilizing our 1999 models. It usually takes a tow to the dealer or a visit from a fully equipped locksmith to reset the NATS system once it has been tripped. It is not easy to work around the NATS system in 1999 models.

As far as I know, the 1998 models did not come with the NATS immobilization system.

The IIHS article below describes the difference between 1998 and 1999 model Maximas.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...itheft-devices

Is someone breaking into your car to gain access? Are they making a key that allows them to unlock your car and drive away?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:17 PM

how do you keep getting the car back?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:18 PM

The fuel pump fuse is on the interior fuse box. It is the 15A fuse at the top of the IGN section in the lower right area of the fuse diagram below.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info. This says the 1998s did not have a "standard factory-installed immobilizing antitheft device", does that mean my year doesn't actually have an immobilizer? I just went by what it said on my insurance sheet, they said it did so I assumed they were right, but I've never looked into it myself.

I tried myself locking the car and starting it, and it completely shut off the power for a good few minutes until everything came back. I assumed it was the immobilizer.

They dont seem to be "breaking in" so much as just entering. Theres never any damage to my locks or ignitions, yet it still disappears and shows up a short distance away a few days later. The police usually find it after a while and I get it back with nothing wrong with it.

Ahh thanks for the image. I was looking at the two under the hood, never checked that one though. I'll be pulling this one too as a safety precaution.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 PM

setup a camera
review footage of who / what time they break into your car
go after them with a gun (since you are American) next time

solved
Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM

1998 no immobilize, easy to start.I added a shock sensor to my max.
But i would def. set a camera up. It would to a shame to find out its someone you know.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:43 PM

how do u keep getting your car back? is ur max bone stock or what?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car is completely stock. It just keeps getting found in different places, some calls police, police call me, it gets towed and I go pick it up.

Unfortunately I don't own any small arms, and with the amount of drugs that gets smoked in this region, I'd probably not even want to face the guy.

Last edited by 8bitedition; 11-29-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by george__
setup a camera
review footage of who / what time they break into your car
go after them with a gun (since you are American) next time

solved
This
Old 11-29-2014, 03:17 PM

And my wife says my 4th gen is a POS. This is obviously a desirable car...
Old 11-29-2014, 03:21 PM

It sounds like somebody has been taking your Maxima for a "joyride" to use up your gas.

This famous car's ignition had to be turned left to a "Lock" position to keep it from being started without the key. Otherwise you just needed to flip the switch to start and run.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Do you have any particularly "crazy" ex's not just the usual, but like crazy crazy? Sounds like someone had an extra key
Old 11-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thats a sexy looking dash

I'm inclined to agree that they're just joyriding in my oh-so-desirable car, except that each time they've taken it, they've used less than 5 bucks of gas. They must be very conservative drivers

Nope, only I got my key. Hell, I wouldn't even trust my girlfriend with my maxima....
Old 11-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Use your cigarette lighter as a ground switch for the fuel pump relay. Push the lighter in and start.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Use your cigarette lighter as a ground switch for the fuel pump relay. Push the lighter in and start.
Can you give a write up on this? That is the coolest idea I've ever heard lol
Old 11-29-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
Can you give a write up on this? That is the coolest idea I've ever heard lol
+1 Way cool..
Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM

did ur girlfriend give a spare key to your car to someone u dont know?.. maybe
Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Its a concept I heard from a coworker.
The idea is that the lighter draws less amps than the relay, so it would essentially be a dead short to ground.

You would find the ground for the pump (or ignition) relay, unbolt it from the body or clip it from the harness, and run a long wire from there to the lighter where the positive used to be connected.

This is just an idea, however my coworker used this on the ignition on his 65 Chevy pickup.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Google shows may examples.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 PM

Its a concept I heard from a coworker.
The idea is that the lighter draws less amps than the relay, so it would essentially be a dead short to ground.

You would find the ground for the pump (or ignition) relay, unbolt it from the body or clip it from the harness, and run a long wire from there to the lighter where the positive used to be connected.

This is just an idea, however my coworker used this on the ignition on his 65 Chevy pickup.
Awesome idea +1
Old 11-29-2014, 06:00 PM

OR, wire both map lights to one button, and use the other for an ign/FP/starter kill switch. any circuit with a relay would be equally easy.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 PM

With a manual transmission, you could very easily disconnect the clutch interlock switch at the pedal and run the wire to the lighter. This would disable the starter until you push the lighter in.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:59 PM
oem ftw!

Get an AutoLock Pro, put it on the brake pedal, watch and wait. May not stop them if they really want it, but it should slow them down enough for you to see who's messing with you.

Maybe it's time for an aftermarket alarm / pager?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 PM

1,Baseball bat
2.beef jerky
3.MTN dew
4.dignity

Use these items while hiding in a dark area outside waiting for your car thief.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:40 AM

Just a FYI for anyone that didn't know the factory alarm does come with a starter kill, but it's no where near as effective as NATs.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Just a FYI for anyone that didn't know the factory alarm does come with a starter kill, but it's no where near as effective as NATs.
So what trips the kill anyway?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

No damage, no break in, yet it's driven away?
Common sense says somebody has a key.
To stop this from happening, rekey the vehicle. Go to your local salvage and pull the door, trunk and ignition cylinders If no keys are available, then have a lock smith cut keys for your new parts. I bet you can accomplish this for under 50 bucks.

Easy fix, really.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 AM

So what trips the kill anyway?
When the alarm has been tripped.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
No damage, no break in, yet it's driven away?
Common sense says somebody has a key.
To stop this from happening, rekey the vehicle. Go to your local salvage and pull the door, trunk and ignition cylinders If no keys are available, then have a lock smith cut keys for your new parts. I bet you can accomplish this for under 50 bucks.

Easy fix, really.
I actually considered this earlier, as its one of the less expensive ways to resolve the issue without having to crack heads. The police and insurance folks seem inclined to believe that since its an older car, the locks are all worn down and anybody with a vaguely similar key can hop in and go. I would think same era locks could potentially have the same issue though, no? Or should I go slap some 2014 locks in there

I do like the kill switch idea though.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 8bitedition
I actually considered this earlier, as its one of the less expensive ways to resolve the issue without having to crack heads. The police and insurance folks seem inclined to believe that since its an older car, the locks are all worn down and anybody with a vaguely similar key can hop in and go. I would think same era locks could potentially have the same issue though, no? Or should I go slap some 2014 locks in there

I do like the kill switch idea though.
find someone with another 4th gen and see if their key lets you in or not to determine if that is truly the cause.

you could also try your key on the junk cars to determine if they are worn down also before buying a lock set that may also have the same issue
Old 11-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Think about it. If you use your key fob to open your doors how much use is your door lock cylinder getting? Either someone has a key fob and key to your car, its one of those rare instances where another Maxima key works for your car (they sold tons of them).

Or my personal favorite, the previous owner found an old set of keys, tracked the car down, and is just screwing with you. He won't damage the car because he likes it too much but he misses it and regrets getting rid of it for whatever reason. I say sell it back to him at above market value.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Think about it. If you use your key fob to open your doors how much use is your door lock cylinder getting? Either someone has a key fob and key to your car, its one of those rare instances where another Maxima key works for your car (they sold tons of them).

Or my personal favorite, the previous owner found an old set of keys, tracked the car down, and is just screwing with you. He won't damage the car because he likes it too much but he misses it and regrets getting rid of it for whatever reason. I say sell it back to him at above market value.
That would be hilarious
Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I was thinking that same thing when I read this thread yesterday. Did you buy the car from a private individual?

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
That would be hilarious
But in a very sad way.

I wish I could offer a nice simple solution, but I can't. Any ideas I had have already been mentioned. I personally would have the locks re-keyed to require a different key.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 AM

Re key the vehicle and install an alarm....
Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buy "the club" steering wheel lock, and, instead of locking the steering, lock it between the shifter and e-brake. He may still be able to start the car, but he won't move it

That would be a less expensive way to discourage him.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 PM

It may be the similar key thing. A friends wife had a corolla and she called him asked to pick her up from work, told him where she parked. My friend gets in the car and starts it but realizes he doesn't have the key to the club, wrong plate number. Lol. They stole my Honda the same way too, they didn't break in but the cops caught them joyriding with a key in the ignition.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
buy "the club" steering wheel lock, and, instead of locking the steering, lock it between the shifter and e-brake. He may still be able to start the car, but he won't move it

that would be a less expensive way to discourage him.
+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeps getting stolen. Bypassing the immobilizer?