4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I drive my 225k miles '96 across country?!?!

Old 12-11-2014, 01:28 AM

Should I drive my 225k miles '96 across country?!?!

Hey everyone, I'll be going to grad school and I need to see if I can make this happen. It is a '96 with 225,000 miles.

Is it possible that I can drive this car from Arizona to Michigan, ~ 2000 miles (~30 hours driving)???

I have been the original owner since. I got in in Detroit back in '95 and moved to Arizona in 2001. Been here since. Oil changes have been done regularly. Everything looks good except the following:

- I have a minor power steering leak. Can this prevent me from making the trip? I figured I have some oil in case I need to re fill.

- Steering rack and pinion needs to be changed since the steering wheel feels very loose and sensitive.

- I may have a slight tranny leak from my driver side axle seal. It's very minimal. Would this be a worry for a long trip?

I already changed tires, front struts, inner & outer tie rods, all 4 engine mounts, water pump, radiator, hoses and tubes, 4 new rotors and 4 Akebono brakes pads.

Also,

With respect to our cars, what should we worry about for a long distance trip, besides what I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!!!

I hope I can save some money and make the drive this Summer (June) coming up!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PersianCzar
Hey everyone, I'll be going to grad school and I need to see if I can make this happen. It is a '96 with 225,000 miles.

Is it possible that I can drive this car from Arizona to Michigan, ~ 2000 miles (~30 hours driving)???

I have been the original owner since. I got in in Detroit back in '95 and moved to Arizona in 2001. Been here since. Oil changes have been done regularly. Everything looks good except the following:

- I have a minor power steering leak. Can this prevent me from making the trip? I figured I have some oil in case I need to re fill.
Nope. Just carry a couple of quarts of Dexron III fluid in the trunk. Check your fluid reservoir every once in a while then top up if necessary.

- Steering rack and pinion needs to be changed since the steering wheel feels very loose and sensitive.
Sounds like your outter tie rods are shot. Replace those 1st before you conclude your entire steering system is shot. This is a normal wear item, especially on a front wheel drive vehicle. You will need a wheel alignment afterwards. Check out this youtube video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXfcM325ss

If you search boredmder on youtube, you'll find a gazillion videos he's made on fixing your car.

- I may have a slight tranny leak from my driver side axle seal. It's very minimal. Would this be a worry for a long trip?
Nope. Assuming you have an automatic, just carry a couple of quarts of Dexron III fluid in the trunk. And yes, the tranny fluid and steering fluid can use the same fluid. If you want to go hard core, get Nissan Matic D fluid from the dealer, for the tranny only. Otherwise, keep some bottles of Dexron III in the trunk for the tranny AND steering.

I already changed tires, front struts, inner & outer tie rods, all 4 engine mounts, water pump, radiator, hoses and tubes, 4 new rotors and 4 Akebono brakes pads.
Excellent

Also,

With respect to our cars, what should we worry about for a long distance trip, besides what I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!!!
I'll let others chime in, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. What you can do is peruse those boredmder videos then come back and ask here on the forum....this thread.

I hope I can save some money and make the drive this Summer (June) coming up!!!
You've got a whole lot of time, but you're in a pretty good position as is anyway. Make sure to do the tie rods, though. In bad weather that loose steering feel gets a million times worse.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 AM

You're going from a warm climate to a cold one.. Make sure your antifreeze can handle the change.

Depending on time from the last change, you may want to consider getting the brake fluid changed. While you are in a low humidity environment now, brake fluid can suspend water molecules. Many years ago I had the brake system on a VW freeze up during a cold snap. That was scary. At the time I didn't know brake fluid needed to be changed to remove old contaminated fluid that was suspending water molecules.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-11-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Nope. Just carry a couple of quarts of Dexron III fluid in the trunk. Check your fluid reservoir every once in a while then top up if necessary.

Sounds like your outter tie rods are shot. Replace those 1st before you conclude your entire steering system is shot. This is a normal wear item, especially on a front wheel drive vehicle. You will need a wheel alignment afterwards. Check out this youtube video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFXfcM325ss

If you search boredmder on youtube, you'll find a gazillion videos he's made on fixing your car.

Nope. Assuming you have an automatic, just carry a couple of quarts of Dexron III fluid in the trunk. And yes, the tranny fluid and steering fluid can use the same fluid. If you want to go hard core, get Nissan Matic D fluid from the dealer, for the tranny only. Otherwise, keep some bottles of Dexron III in the trunk for the tranny AND steering.

Excellent

I'll let others chime in, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. What you can do is peruse those boredmder videos then come back and ask here on the forum....this thread.

You've got a whole lot of time, but you're in a pretty good position as is anyway. Make sure to do the tie rods, though. In bad weather that loose steering feel gets a million times worse.
Thank you for the feedback bud. I actually thought about getting a few bottles of Dex III, 1 brake fluid, and 1 engine oil..... just in case!!

I already did both inner and outer tie rods.

I'll probably take a mini toolbox with my "GO-TO" tools, jack, and jack-stands. Extra serpentine belts and a GOOD spare tire.

A few years back I got a flat tire going over a speed bump as high as the mountain sky, and I was going real slow too. BOOM!! I noticed everyone in the shopping center looked my way. HAHA!! Tire literally exploded. So I pullover, put my spare on, and as soon as I lower the jack slowly, the tire deflates so quick I just started laughing!! But I was pissed... Good times!!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
You're going from a warm climate to a cold one.. Make sure your antifreeze can handle the change.

Depending on time from the last change, you may want to consider getting the brake fluid changed. While you are in a low humidity environment now, brake fluid can suspend water molecules. Many years ago I had the brake system on a VW freeze up during a cold snap. That was scary. At the time I didn't know brake fluid needed to be changed to remove old contaminated fluid that was suspending water molecules.
Thanks, good point. I run 50/50 AntiFreeze/H20 already but not sure if I watered it down the last few years. The beauty of Arizona, I will miss it here No rust, no cold starts! I hope I don't run into any of these problems. Any idea on any Anti-Rust barrier spray to spray under the carriage and radiator core chasis area?

I never got a full Break fluid change because I always thought they just empty the reservoir and put new in. I figured a good way is to bleed all lines, as someone is feeding new fluid in the reservoir but I'm not sure how people do it. So I have always been scared to do this. But I hear ya, I gotta do something about it. I'm sure it will make a big diff if I haven't done something like this.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

should be fine, ive driven my old crap a distance as well. just keep extra fluids, check tire pressure, maybe get a full size jack and cigar lighter air compressor, etc youll be fine

with the brake fluid, draining the reservoir doesnt get old fluid out of the lines. however thats all i do on my stuff every few years because otherwise all the bleed screws would probably break right off, better than nothing
Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 PM

Why not

DO IT
Old 12-11-2014, 04:19 PM

I would, at a minimum, get your antifreeze tested to see that it provides coverage down to the lowest temps that you will see in Michigan. We don't want to see you back here with water pump fins that have been damaged from being used as an ice crusher. I keep a small anti-freeze tester I bought at Wal*Mart a few years ago around just for peace of mind.

I can relate to preparing for a long cross-country move. I would be busy trying to pack and all that goes with it instead of trying to bleed brakes. On one of my moves to snow country, I paid a shop to change all fluids to get the car ready for the climate change. I lived in apartments at that time and really had no place to do any maintenance. Though if you are interested, there is a brake bleeding procedure in the FSM.

I'm sure we have some members who live in snow and salt areas to provide anti-rust tips. Good luck on your journey to Michigan. I'm betting you will be fine.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Administrator

There are two other threads just like yours in the last month or so. Lots of tips and advice in there too, although these guys got you covered pretty well
Old 12-12-2014, 03:41 AM
oem ftw!

A few years back I got a flat tire going over a speed bump as high as the mountain sky, and I was going real slow too. BOOM!! I noticed everyone in the shopping center looked my way. HAHA!! Tire literally exploded. So I pullover, put my spare on, and as soon as I lower the jack slowly, the tire deflates so quick I just started laughing!! But I was pissed... Good times!!

This made me laugh out loud. Sounds like something that would definitely happen to me, too. There was a guy on here a long time ago who used to own an old civic. He was driving at about 3mph and hit a pothole, and both of his airbags deployed

He described it as "the dumbest accident ever."

Good luck with the trip and with your courses as well! Congrats on the acceptance
Old 12-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
There are two other threads just like yours in the last month or so. Lots of tips and advice in there too, although these guys got you covered pretty well
I usually check search too but I figured I had a unique situation, haha. I'll have to check those threads too. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME

This made me laugh out loud. Sounds like something that would definitely happen to me, too. There was a guy on here a long time ago who used to own an old civic. He was driving at about 3mph and hit a pothole, and both of his airbags deployed

He described it as "the dumbest accident ever."

Good luck with the trip and with your courses as well! Congrats on the acceptance
LMAO!!! Damn that's awesome. Hahaha. Now THAT right there is quite something!! LoL

And thank you for the kind words!!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I would, at a minimum, get your antifreeze tested to see that it provides coverage down to the lowest temps that you will see in Michigan. We don't want to see you back here with water pump fins that have been damaged from being used as an ice crusher. I keep a small anti-freeze tester I bought at Wal*Mart a few years ago around just for peace of mind.

I can relate to preparing for a long cross-country move. I would be busy trying to pack and all that goes with it instead of trying to bleed brakes. On one of my moves to snow country, I paid a shop to change all fluids to get the car ready for the climate change. I lived in apartments at that time and really had no place to do any maintenance. Though if you are interested, there is a brake bleeding procedure in the FSM.

I'm sure we have some members who live in snow and salt areas to provide anti-rust tips. Good luck on your journey to Michigan. I'm betting you will be fine.
Thanks for the advice bud!! I would hate to have my new OEM waterpump turn into an ice-crusher!!

I'll have to buy one of those anti-freeze tester tools, I never thought about that until you guys brought it up.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers!!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:11 PM

I drove my 3rd gen from Ontario Canada to the port in miami 30hrs there and 30hrs back and made it back and forth no problem with no issues. If anything a good long trip is good to burn off some carbon build up from alot of in town driving and keep the engine clean with some good highway driving. Along the way i noticed a number of newer vehicles broke down or off on the side of the road here and there so you just never know. All you can do is do the best to make sure the necessities are mechanically sound and pack some essentials and just go for it! All the best on your trip and let us know how you made out on your road trip once you reach your destination. Good luck!

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:30 PM

I say go for it! No harm in trying at least, worst case scenario is that you break down.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:39 AM

Here's my threads on my 13 hour drive to Atlanta from New York, total hours are 26, give or take 28 hours round trip, didn't have any problems with my car, stopped for restroom, and food.. it's pretty much 1000 miles going, and 1000 back, 2000 miles in all on my trip, only bad part is I got pulled over for going 88 in a 70 passing threw Virgina, I got 150 on the odo, 96 maxima too
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...road-trip.html
Old 12-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drive my 97 SE from Dallas to New Orleans often! (550 miles) straight shot with one stop for gas and restroom. I have a coolant leak at water pump. Never had a problem more than burning out a headlamp. 220,000 miles and still going strong.

Take care of your Max and it will take care of you! i thought changing your air filter was worth mentioning too!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:08 PM

damn yall got some high mileage maximas.. my 4th gen is almost at 134k and I only drive it 15 miles a day lol I'm trying to not to put too many miles on it until I finish my Exterior a little bit more, almost done with the project! about a month left to go