4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5.5 Gen Steering Wheel w/ Radio Controls Upgrade Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 PM

5.5 Gen Steering Wheel w/ Radio Controls Upgrade Mod

I've been searching a while for a write up for this kind of steering wheel mod.....or someone in the NE region that knows what parts I need exactly and how to install it. If anyone has any info on this, please lmk. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM

I have been looking into the same thing. From reading other posts, it appears to get full use of the controls a column swap might be needed. There are a few members that have done the wheel swap, but no one has posted a write up on swapping it. At least nothing that I have seen from searching. At the very least the clock spring needs to be swapped over. They do not directly swap without modification.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

99 Q45 steering wheel and clock spring will interchange with the 99 SE.
You need the harness to go into the BOSE also.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Would a 99 Q45 also exchange with other years? It looks like the maxima clock springs are the same for all 4th gens. This would be a great way to add on controls. Even just to pull the clock spring and audio controls to put on the original maxima wheel. Its not the design of the wheel I want to change, its the controls.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:15 PM

you can do this with the 97-01 Q45/2000-2001 5th gen maxima/I30.

YOU WILL NEED to swap the clocksprings if you want full function for the radios. you will also need the relay that operates the steering controls for the stereo.

DO NOT use 2002-2003 maxima/I30 steering wheels, the clocksprings will not mount correct or line up.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I will be going to the junkyard soon and try to retro a 01 wheel into my 97. I'm after the audio controls. Best feature my car doesn't have. I have an aftermarket deck, so the problem will only be getting the wires for the steering wheel controls down to the deck. I will need some kind of interface, but I am getting a new deck in the next week or two, so I will wait until that install is done.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Got back from the yard. This is what I gathered up:
2001 Clockspring
2002 Audio controls

Right now I am going to keep my 97 wheel and swap just the radio controls over.
The radio controls in the 2001 maxima will not work, they are not resistive ones. There is a circuit board inside that sends signals thru one wire. We need resistive controls, where all the switches are wired in parallel along two wires. Each switch puts a different resistance between the two wires. The 2002 switches are resistive type. The cruise control on the 4th gen works differently than the 5th gens. Those controls cannot be directly swapped over either. The 5th gens are resistive where as our use diodes across two wires.

The clockspring from the 2001 bolts directly up to our hub and wheel, no mods required. I pulled one from a car that had wheel audio controls. The 01 has 7 wires thru it where the 97 has 5. There is a catch however, the plugs are different along with the wire colors, so it has to be spliced into the stock wiring. The 97 has 6 wires running into the clockspring, but only 5 come out on the wheel end. I probed the plug and found that two wires appear to join in the plug. It is the wire that provides 12v for the cruise and the horn switch. I do not know what the other wire does.

So far, I have taken off the 97 clockspring, installed the 01 clockspring, wired everything on both sides so the plugs are correct for the 97 airbag and cruise/horn.
The wiring is not hard, but time consuming. None of the wires stay the same color from one side of the clockspring to the other, and they are not the same between the years. Basically I cut off the old clockspring, stripped the wires on both sides and tested what color turns into what color on the other side. Then do the same with the new clockspring. Once that is done, connect the wires as you wish. They all appear to be the same gauge. It goes like this

Airbag plug wire - blue- thru old clockspring - green/white
Pick wire from new clockspring wheel side, say white. Connect blue wire from airbag plug to white wire. white wire thru new clockspring - green/orange. Connect green/orange from new clockspring to green/white on car.

Repeat this 5 times to connect all the wires. You now have 2 extra wires to use for stereo controls.

This is where I stopped. I have the wheel back on. I tested the horn and airbag, so far so good. I will let you know how I go about molding the controls into the wheel. Hopefully soon.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Finkle
2001 Clockspring
2002 Audio controls

The radio controls in the 2001 maxima will not work, they are not resistive ones. There is a circuit board inside that sends signals thru one wire. We need resistive controls, where all the switches are wired in parallel along two wires. Each switch puts a different resistance between the two wires. The 2002 switches are resistive type. The cruise control on the 4th gen works differently than the 5th gens. Those controls cannot be directly swapped over either. The 5th gens are resistive where as our use diodes across two wires.

The clockspring from the 2001 bolts directly up to our hub and wheel, no mods required. I pulled one from a car that had wheel audio controls. The 01 has 7 wires thru it where the 97 has 5. There is a catch however, the plugs are different along with the wire colors, so it has to be spliced into the stock wiring. The 97 has 6 wires running into the clockspring, but only 5 come out on the wheel end. I probed the plug and found that two wires appear to join in the plug. It is the wire that provides 12v for the cruise and the horn switch. I do not know what the other wire does.

So far, I have taken off the 97 clockspring, installed the 01 clockspring, wired everything on both sides so the plugs are correct for the 97 airbag and cruise/horn.
The wiring is not hard, but time consuming. None of the wires stay the same color from one side of the clockspring to the other, and they are not the same between the years. Basically I cut off the old clockspring, stripped the wires on both sides and tested what color turns into what color on the other side. Then do the same with the new clockspring. Once that is done, connect the wires as you wish. They all appear to be the same gauge. It goes like this

Pick wire from new clockspring wheel side, say white. Connect blue wire from airbag plug to white wire. white wire thru new clockspring - green/orange. Connect green/orange from new clockspring to green/white on car.

Repeat this 5 times to connect all the wires. You now have 2 extra wires to use for stereo controls.

This is where I stopped. I have the wheel back on. I tested the horn and airbag, so far so good. I will let you know how I go about molding the controls into the wheel. Hopefully soon.
let me tell you why this WONT work!

the steering controls on 2001-2003 maximas CAN NOT BE MADE TO FIT 97-99 steering wheels.

you are making more work than you need to, trust me on this. just use the 2001 steering wheel, clockspring, and thats it. IF you can wire the cruise control up, you will be a master, because the 5TH gen works on a different level than your 97. 97 is ANALOG, 98 ANALOG DIGITAL, 2000+ DIGITAL, think of it in that kind of logic.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:59 AM

2001 Clockspring
2002 Audio controls

Extremely helpful! Thanks!! Please update the post when you get the audio controls working.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 PM

I've had the audio controls working since the start, its the cruise control you need to splice, don't screw with the airbag, its plug and play.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
let me tell you why this WONT work!

the steering controls on 2001-2003 maximas CAN NOT BE MADE TO FIT 97-99 steering wheels.

you are making more work than you need to, trust me on this. just use the 2001 steering wheel, clockspring, and thats it. IF you can wire the cruise control up, you will be a master, because the 5TH gen works on a different level than your 97. 97 is ANALOG, 98 ANALOG DIGITAL, 2000+ DIGITAL, think of it in that kind of logic.
What about 99 SE? Analog Digital also?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM

I didn't want to pay for the wheel and specifically the airbag. They look so similar to me. I was messing around with the controls today a little bit.

The hard part seems to be getting the resistances right for my head unit. There are 4 wires coming out of the controls. Yellow is common ground, blue and orange are for the 5 audio switches, and purple is the button for the trip for the instrument cluster. The issue I am running into is this: The volume up and track up are paired on one wire the the vol down and tack down on the other. The mode button is just a switch to ground with no resistance. I forgot which color wire it attached to, orange or blue. The trip button is also a switch to ground on the purple wire. Anyway, the vol up and vol down have the same resistance (180ish ohm) as the the track up/down. (800ish) ohm They are on separate wires, I added a 9kohm resistor to make up for the similar value. My problem is the vol and track values are too close together for my deck to differentiate between them. Since they share a wire, I cannot boost one without the other.
I added a 5kohm resistor to the purple wire to put the trip button somewhere in the middle of the other 5. I programmed it to be mute.
My deck lets you assign up to 20 different commands to any resistance. Push what you want the button to do, then push the button and it learns the resistance. (pretty sweet I think)
It can pick up on the difference vol up and down, but not vol up and track up.

I don't think making the 01 controls fit into the 97 wheel will be too hard. Custom work with some cutting, but nothing harder than the 5th gen seat swap.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM

you guys are over thinking this....
Old 02-18-2015, 01:46 PM

HERE IS ALL YOU NEED

2001 STEERING WHEEL w/controls
2001 CLOCKSPRING
STEERING WHEEL INTERFACE/REMOTE RELAY/CONNECTORS.

the airbag...plug and play
the stereo controls...plug and play
cruise control...wiring IS NEEDED to get it to work properly.

Last edited by Blackwind; 02-18-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Not quite. The clockspring plug has to be wired in, and the controls are only plug and play if you have the stock 2001 head unit, or an interface.

I have the controls wired up. The problem I have is getting my deck to use them. I guess you can call the controls almost done, they just need to be mounted. Its the deck I am having a problem with at this point. I don't want to have to buy an interface when my deck has one built in. I should do a writeup on this when I'm all done, if I can get it to work.

Last edited by Finkle; 02-18-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM

Not quite. The clockspring plug has to be wired in, and the controls are only plug and play if you have the stock 2001 head unit, or an interface.

I have the controls wired up. The problem I have is getting my deck to use them. I guess you can call the controls almost done, they just need to be mounted. Its the deck I am having a problem with at this point. I don't want to have to buy an interface when my deck has one built in. I should do a writeup on this when I'm all done, if I can get it to work.
what deck do you have?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM

HERE IS ALL YOU NEED

2001 STEERING WHEEL w/controls
2001 CLOCKSPRING
STEERING WHEEL INTERFACE/REMOTE RELAY/CONNECTORS.

the airbag...plug and play
the stereo controls...plug and play
cruise control...wiring IS NEEDED to get it to work properly.
I have complete 03 heated steering wheel and column, with relay, button and all harnesses (except radio control harness that plugs into head unit). What, if any, would be the major issue I will face with this setup, if you know?

Last edited by Blood on Black; 02-19-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM

you can run that whole setup, but you will have to modify the steering column to fit the 4th gen dashboard bar. that's what i am working on now. i originally did the 2001 steering with controls because its a direct swap, but since i am doing a full 3.5 swap, i want all my functions to work. its more labor intensive
Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 PM

OK, I'm back with the final product. I had to switch controls, my deck for some reason needed controls with at least 2k ohms resistance between each other. If anyone is doing this swap and using a pac to sync the controls to their deck, then this is not needed. Just use the 2002 controls, some fabrication needed to make them fit the 4th gen wheel. A 2001 wheel and clockspring with 2002 controls is a direct swap minus wiring.

I took a trip to the junkyard and found a set of switches with separate output wires I could add resistors to.
I tried lots of them, I can tell you pontiac grand am/prix, ford explorer/town car, and mazda 6 don't work. The resistances are too close, or they never fully open the circuit. The lincoln towncar buttons looked beautiful, but there was 4k ohms resistance when nothing was pressed. My deck couldn't handle that.

I started with 2k ohms and went up to 14k ohms. IIRC, its off a Mitsubishi galant. This is what it looks like in the car.
Name:  IMG_20150302_195610.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20150302_195621.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  89.3 KB
Best of all, they are backlit green. I didn't hook it up, as I have all red in my car. I ordered some red leds to swap in.

I pickup up an android double din off ebay that does pretty much everything you could ever want it to do. Here is the control screen for the controls.

Name:  IMG_20150302_195735.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  56.5 KB
Here is one of the red interior, just for fun
Name:  IMG_20150302_195900.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  36.1 KB
They work great. I have six buttons I can program to do whatever I want. I have them set as vol +/-, track +/- , mute and mode. The controls took some work to make work. If someone is going to do this, I can post up instructions on how to do it. Start to finish was about 10 hours. I know, a lot of work to be lazy. I spent some time looking for a universal type of controls to no avail. The only ones are the IR ebay ones.

Last edited by Finkle; 03-02-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you can do this with the 97-01 Q45/2000-2001 5th gen maxima/I30.

YOU WILL NEED to swap the clocksprings if you want full function for the radios. you will also need the relay that operates the steering controls for the stereo.

DO NOT use 2002-2003 maxima/I30 steering wheels, the clocksprings will not mount correct or line up.
So is there wiring need to do this with to an 00? Or is it plug and play with 01 clock spring and controls? And will my cruise still work?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Qlampkin
So is there wiring need to do this with to an 00? Or is it plug and play with 01 clock spring and controls? And will my cruise still work?

Yeah, there's nothing plug and play about this. The 00 clockspring has too few wires, and the 02+ ones don't fit. Not even close to fitting. The wires are not plug and play with the 01 spring either, the plug are different. The harness has to come with the donor clockspring. The cruise still works, there are three wires for the cruise (one is also for the horn) and two for the airbag. That leaves 2 wires leftover for whatever you want to use them for.

I have to put my wheel controls back one. I haven't gotten around to mounting them on the new wheel.

On a side note, I tried the ebay steering wheel remote things they sell for 4 bucks from china. Don't work at all. They do, but not on the wheel, I had to take it off and aim it right at the IR sensor. On the plus side, the remote uses a 2025 battery, the same one in our key fobs. The battery is the only part worth keeping.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:40 PM

Correction: The wiring on the wheel side is be plug and play, but on the car side, it is not. If you were to get the 01 clockspring and wheel, but if you want to keep the 4th gen wheel, the wiring from the clockspring will not fit the 4th gen horn, airbag, or cruise.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM

Hello all,
I wanted to post a quick update:
I converted over to a 2000 Celica steering wheel. When I did I lost my audio controls, and have been missing them since.
I was able to use the toyota cruise control stick as a audio controller, it is just a resistance ladder after all.

I ran into a problem in the deck reading the switches. It would program fine, but only work for a couple minutes, then very erratically. Enough so it wasn't worth using.
Thinking it was the head unit being too picky about the resistance, I bought a PAC SWI-X that converts the resistance signals to IR ones. This unit also had a hard time reading the wheel controls. Same thing, it would program fine, then stop shortly after. Confused, I hook up the multimeter to the switch wires, and to my surprise the readings were all over the place. A slight touch of the wheel would take a 200ohm reading to 1200 and back down, but it never stabilized. The reading was always bouncing by a couple hundred ohms.

Solution - the steering shaft is not an adequate ground. I had been grounding the switches to the wheel, figuring since the horn was grounded there, that it was fine. Wrong! I had an extra wire on the clockspring, I grounded the switches through that wire to the dash frame. Problem gone. No more issues with the controls. They work every time, perfectly. I'm so happy I finally got this licked. Having steering wheel controls is great, a must have for every car. The little stick makes it easy to use and stock looking. Some 2000grit sandpaper took the printing off, but kept a little sheen.

Soooo, if you are using the steering shaft for a ground and are having problems, ground the wheel, or use a separate ground to make sure its a good ground. I wanted to post this up, so someone else doesn't have to spend 5 months figuring it out.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all,
I wanted to post a quick update:
I converted over to a 2000 Celica steering wheel. When I did I lost my audio controls, and have been missing them since.
I was able to use the toyota cruise control stick as a audio controller, it is just a resistance ladder after all.

I ran into a problem in the deck reading the switches. It would program fine, but only work for a couple minutes, then very erratically. Enough so it wasn't worth using.
Thinking it was the head unit being too picky about the resistance, I bought a PAC SWI-X that converts the resistance signals to IR ones. This unit also had a hard time reading the wheel controls. Same thing, it would program fine, then stop shortly after. Confused, I hook up the multimeter to the switch wires, and to my surprise the readings were all over the place. A slight touch of the wheel would take a 200ohm reading to 1200 and back down, but it never stabilized. The reading was always bouncing by a couple hundred ohms.

Solution - the steering shaft is not an adequate ground. I had been grounding the switches to the wheel, figuring since the horn was grounded there, that it was fine. Wrong! I had an extra wire on the clockspring, I grounded the switches through that wire to the dash frame. Problem gone. No more issues with the controls. They work every time, perfectly. I'm so happy I finally got this licked. Having steering wheel controls is great, a must have for every car. The little stick makes it easy to use and stock looking. Some 2000grit sandpaper took the printing off, but kept a little sheen.

Soooo, if you are using the steering shaft for a ground and are having problems, ground the wheel, or use a separate ground to make sure its a good ground. I wanted to post this up, so someone else doesn't have to spend 5 months figuring it out.
So do you have a video or walk through because I'm confused still on what I need to get controls on my 00
Old 10-31-2015, 11:43 PM

Its a custom swap. The wheel and the audio controls require modification to fit. This only works with a head unit that can learn wired remote resistances or and adapter that can convert resistance signals.
If your after stock radio controls, a 5th gen wheel is swappable minus the cruise controls. Those would need to be carried over from the 4th gen wheel and mounted somewhere. The clockspring will work, but is not plug and play, the wires have to be spliced. In short, it complicated and has a lot of steps.