4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

electrical problems

ok so my car is a 95 maxima se m/t. I was driving home from work and all at once the battery and brake warning lights came on, the radio speakers (bose) quit working, the backlights in the cluster and clock went haywire going from bright to dim and back then flickering, and my headlights and fog lights turned off and now they wont turn on. ive searched the forum and from what ive found the warning lights are typical of the alternator going out. could that also cause everything else? the fuses are good, I swapped some relays and that didn't help either. im in the process of checking the headlight/turn signal switch now. anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:59 PM

It must be alternator season already. I've had mine stop running when the alternator finally died.

Do you have a way to test your alternator for charging? If not, many auto parts stores (like Advance Auto) will provide a charging system health check free of charge.

Check out the following link and avoid products made or rebuilt in China.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...s-show-up.html

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-22-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks CS__AR. i don't have any way of checking it other than a multi meter. ill just have to take it off and let the guys autozone check it out. by the way i forgot to mention that what ever happened caused the bulbs to blow. going by the fsm there are a few opens in the switch. so looks like im going to have to replace that too.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Replace the alternator and the light bulbs and see what happens before you replace the switch. Flickering lights are a strain for light bulbs and old bulbs will fail.

First thing after you put the alternator in is start the car and check the voltage. It should be about 14 volts, give or take a tenth of two. If it is out of range, get another alternator.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Testing with a multimeter is fine. Connect it to the battery. With the engine off you should read 12 volts. With the engine on the reading should go up to 14.2 volts. If it doesn't, or it's sporadic and unsteady, replace your ALT
Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jasonpet
thanks CS__AR. i don't have any way of checking it other than a multi meter. ill just have to take it off and let the guys autozone check it out. by the way i forgot to mention that what ever happened caused the bulbs to blow. going by the fsm there are a few opens in the switch. so looks like im going to have to replace that too.
That'll do a great job!!!
1. Check your battery voltage first... car not running! 11.0-12v
2. Check your Altenator voltage second, 13.0v-14.2v ideal
3. Check your Altenator voltage under a load (headlights, foglights on, blower fan on high, emergency flashers, doors open, brakes on) 12.85v-13.8v

Last edited by CMax03; 02-24-2015 at 09:10 PM.