4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 AM
vpr
Newbie - Just Registered

starting problem

with 95 maxima have starting problems, it just clicks

1. tried jumpstart to rule out battery
2. removed starter switch and tried with screwdriver to rule out starter switch
3. checked all relevant fuses to make sure

any other suggestions
is it starter, solenoid or any relays inhibit, ignition or fuel telays?

appreciate your help

thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM

start simple. check the cables (pos and neg) for corrosion, at both ends. Remove, clean, reattach...
Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM

Is the click coming from under the hood or the dash?

A click under the dash is the ignition and accessory relays. They have nothing to do with your problem. You don't normally hear them because the cranking engine drowns them out.

Is the "starter switch" you removed in the steering column? If so, the correct name is ignition switch. Turning it with a screwdriver does not prove it is good. If the electric contacts inside the switch are bad, turning the switch with a screwdriver, your little toe or whatever does not change that.

Odds are it is the starter. You could try tapping/hitting it with a hammer or something and see what happens. If the engine cranks after that, the starter has a problem. If the starter doesn't crank, you still haven't proved anything.

You can either remove the starter and take it to an auto parts store and have them test it for you. Or you can follow this troubleshooting thread...

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-thread.html
Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by slfalco
start simple. check the cables (pos and neg) for corrosion, at both ends. Remove, clean, reattach...
I had this problem and tried the ignition switch, starter, relay, etc. Finally just cleaned the grounds. Unbolt, clean, sand, etc.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 AM

What's your battery voltage and rated CCA and measured CCA?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:30 PM
vpr
Newbie - Just Registered

This all happened when I was driving and the car shutdown all of a sudden, then tried to restart and same thing happened, I was around the corner and was able to turn around, since then it has not started. The battery was bad, so trying to start using jump cable.

I hear until the alternator is fixed no point in replacing the battery.
Does it point to the alternator or should I look for something else?

1. Click is coming under the hood.
2. The Ignition switch I removed is in the steering column.
3. Tried tapping the starter couple of times.
4. The codes that is displayed based on the long/short lights is "10 05" - EGRC Solenoid Valve

Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM

The code for the check engine light has no bearing on your starting problem

If you are getting a click from under the hood, that is the starter solenoid. That means that the ignition switch in the steering column is good.

The click of the starter solenoid means one of 2 things. The starter is bad or the battery is discharged and doesn't have enough amps to crank the engine.

Get the battery tested to see if it is good and can hold a charge. Right now we don't know enough to say if it is good or needs to be replaced. Once you have a battery that you know is good, make sure it is fully charged and try to start the car.

If the starter solenoid still makes a clicking sound, the starter is bad. If the car starts, then you can check the alternator. Get a voltmeter and measure the battery voltage while the car is running. The voltage should read 14 volts, give or take one or two tenths of a volt.

If the voltage reading is down around 12 volts, the alternator is dead and not charging the battery. Replace it. If the voltage reading is above 14.5 volts, the alternator is bad and needs to be replaced
Old 03-13-2015, 07:34 AM
vpr
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks like it was something else, apparently the car hit something underneath and the oil pan below is cracked and the car has been driven 2-3 miles after that, the mechanic tried to turn the engine by hand and was very hard to turn, do you think the transmission is gone.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM

how many miles do u have?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by vpr
Looks like it was something else, apparently the car hit something underneath and the oil pan below is cracked and the car has been driven 2-3 miles after that, the mechanic tried to turn the engine by hand and was very hard to turn, do you think the transmission is gone.
I'm pretty sure that the transmission is just fine.

However, I can't say that about the engine.

Did all the oil leak out of the engine? If the engine is hard to turn by hand, the bearings may be seizing up. But maybe the person trying to turn the engine over by hand is mis-judging the force needed.

Have you owned the car for a while or did you just buy the car?
Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by vpr
with 95 maxima have starting problems, it just clicks...

This all happened when I was driving and the car shutdown all of a sudden, then tried to restart and same thing happened...

car hit something underneath and the oil pan below is cracked and the car has been driven 2-3 miles after that, the mechanic tried to turn the engine by hand and was very hard to turn.
Engine is seized, get another and watch where you're driving.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

starter problems

I hit a curb underneath the front of my 98 Nissan maxima and have been having the same starting issue before you replace the motor check the crank position sensor it's located next to the oil filter there is a wire that leads from the sensor underneath the car you may have broken that wire
Old 03-14-2015, 03:11 PM

^ did the crank position sensor fix it after u hit the curb?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by vpr
Take the plugs out if it's hard to turn after that you got some engine problems
Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 AM
vpr
Newbie - Just Registered

it has 150k miles on it, have owned the car for 18 years and would have loved to keep it, all the oil has leaked out. It was a snowy day and the car slid to the footpath and hit a sign, the metal hit the oil pan, at that time the car was still running, came back home and then immediately drove a mile, after 2 hours when I started the car again it went little bit and then shut down.

Did not realize that the oil has leaked only until now, we had another snow day and did not see the oil leak from below.

The turning of the engine was done with tools and I tried it as well.
Is it worth trying to put the oil pan, gasket, top up oil and try to start. I am not that handy and will have to tow and get this done somewhere.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 AM

jeez, how hard did u hit? any body damage? isn't the oil pan right underneath the engine?