4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 Auto - positive cable connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 AM

98 Auto - positive cable connector

The positive connector on the battery cable on my 98 auto has been eaten away by rust and corrosion. The guy at the nissan parts counter said its $1000+ for the entire engine harness complete with positive connector. Am i really that screwed!? I have to replace the entire engine harness to replace the positive connector? Please tell me there is another way?

Name:  ofEZh8S.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  JBaGgTR.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  83.2 KB
Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 AM

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/658860-reworked-battery-cables-my-agm-battery.html

You can get a solder or crimp on end to replace yours. All three cable need to connect to it. Or replace the battery positive by bypassing the original and solder two ring terminals on the accessory wires. Alternatively go to a stereo shop and get the gold plated clamp that the cables get pushed into and secured with a set screw.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It looks like battery acid erosion, try cleaning it up really good with a drop of Dawn and baking soda. Scrub it clean with an old tooth brush, then evaluate what needs to be replaced.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:01 AM

fuking dealer you do not have to buy a whole new harness. you can always splice in a new one from the j/y or try cleaning as stated. relax, i've seen worse. question, do you not check under your hood??? i mean, damn...
Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 AM

lol just get a new terminal for 10$..
Old 04-19-2015, 01:15 PM

@ asand1 : Thanks alot for the post! This was exactly what i was looking for!

Im gonna have to come up with something like this .. or go to the yard and attempt to slice into another harness.

@ njmaxseltd : I did try baking soda but i didnt try the dawn. Unfortunately there was so much corrosion it ate right through the connecter that goes around the battery post. You cant see it in the picture but when you slide it over the post it just wont make a tight squeeze as its not a complete circle since half of it is just rusted and gone.

@ max ride 41 : I know i should have known better than to go to the dealership but i checked everywhere else except the yard and they said its a proprietary nissan piece. I tried the cleaning route but i think there is nothing that can be done for this connector. That said you are right i should have kept an eye on it. It was actually being driven by my relative in my household and i didnt get a heads up about the potential issue until it was too late.

She drove to the park and when she wanted to return home the keyfob would work and car wouldnt start. I drove to the park and naturally opened the hood and i found a really big pile of blue stuff on the terminal! I went to town on it with a wire brush and baking soda and the keyfob started working. I just new it would start right up but no joy.

It previously showed no sign of starter going out or any starting issues what so ever. Turning the key on the ignition gets me nada! No sound, no trying to turn over nothing. After that day i let it sit a months or so and i eventually took the battery to autozone and they said it was dead so i bought a new one and tried to start the car but no joy! Doesnt even try to turn over. Thats when i looked closer at the connector on the positive cable and saw it was split.

@ Josh : I wish it was that simple.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM

Cut the existing cable off down past the corrosion and cut a good one off a junk car then splice the 2 together with this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-The...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have had good results repairing cables and relocating batteries with this type splice.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:52 PM

Or

Or

But replace that battery and check your charging voltage.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 AM

ill have to show you a picture of underneath my hood, i mean, even if someone else was driving maxy i'd still check everything under the hood. plus i'm in here reading up on common issues with this car all the time so i don't miss anything.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 PM

@ arcticracer : Thanks for the link! Im gonna hit some yards this weekend and see what i can find.

@ asand1 : First one looks great! I definitely have to get a new battery.

@ max ride 41 : What can i say.. Im barely keeping up with my DD let alone this other max. Guess i just have a lot on my plate..
Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 AM

I had the same problem with my old 98. I went to a junk yard and bought a cable (runs from the starter to the + of the battery) for 5 bucks and replaces mine. Done!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by tosheto
I had the same problem with my old 98. I went to a junk yard and bought a cable (runs from the starter to the + of the battery) for 5 bucks and replaces mine. Done!

Thanks for the post!! Hopefully when i get the yard this weekend i can do the same! Ill beeline to the starter and follow it from there to the battery.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Oh my! You should def. go back to that dealer and trade your car in for a brand new model and make sure you give them your car for free, otherwise you'll have to spend thousands on a new wire connector. Or just spend a few dollars on a connector, the tools, parts, and supplies required to do the job. I dunno, tough decision.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Oh my! You should def. go back to that dealer and trade your car in for a brand new model and make sure you give them your car for free, otherwise you'll have to spend thousands on a new wire connector. Or just spend a few dollars on a connector, the tools, parts, and supplies required to do the job. I dunno, tough decision.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 PM

That's why I don't go to dealer anymore, they just suck @$$!!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You really don't need a new engine harness. As said the positive terminal is part of the starter wire. The 2 smaller wires (which unplug from the red part) go to the fuse box next to the battery.

All you need is one or two ring terminals and a pair of battery terminals.