4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 AT Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Recently I've come across an issue with my 1996 maxima. The automatic transmission will only drive forward when the car is turned on. By this I mean, while the car is running I can not reverse. - Neutral drives forward only. I can use this currently as a driving gear! - Park and reverse seem like they want to become driving gears (i.e they want to move forward but they won't). - Reverse won't rev up past 2k and won't reverse When the car is turned off I can push the car back and forth while it's in neutral. The car will move backwards in reverse also. I don't know what the issue could be, and I did switch my neutral-safety switch and the issue is still present. If you could offer any advice to fix this issue it would be appreciated.

****************EDIT*************
Update*******

I checked the linkage, and aside from being filthy by the shifter, it checked out fine.

The linkage to the neutral safety switch also was electing the right gears, but the problem still continues (somewhat).

I turned on the car and did a rev in park and the car finally revved past 2k. After doing this reverse came back and so did neutral.

I'm not trusting this transmission and may just replace it as a precaution.

Last edited by Fauken; 05-26-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 PM

Sounds like the linkage isnt lined up properly at your shifter. Or its bent at the transmission.
When it's in park..can you push it at all?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:13 PM

How's your front rad support condition OP?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 PM
Administrator

I did a search for your issue(s) on Google and couldn't come up with any definitive answers. The best answer is below. This guy had the exact issue as you, but in a Ford truck.

"Hey guys, I wanted to thank you all for your help in this problem. It's been a long undertaking, but I got it fixed. The cause? The Spring steel finger that the rooster meshes with - Was BENT at like 90 Degrees, Making it jump one gear ahead! I could get 1st, 2nd, And Drive, But no reverse, or park. Also found the machined shaft in the valve body that attaches to the manual lever was broken off, found a piece of it in the pan. These were definately not hard fixes, really only had to drop the pan, and remove a 5/16" Bolt for the finger, and a snap ring for the shaft. It was especially cheap too, since I had an extra transmission lying beside the truck in the shop. I just had a gut feeling it was a mechanical issue, but it's absoloutely CRAZY that like 3 other transmission did the same thing. Has anyone ever experienced a stifling problem like this that made you almost want to give up? Thanks so much guys!"

http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...l-reverse.html
Old 05-26-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
Sounds like the linkage isnt lined up properly at your shifter. Or its bent at the transmission. When it's in park..can you push it at all?
When it's in park while the vehicle is off car does not move.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
How's your front rad support condition OP?
The rad support is perfectly fine, but has been scraped.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I did a search for your issue(s) on Google and couldn't come up with any definitive answers. The best answer is below. This guy had the exact issue as you, but in a Ford truck. "Hey guys, I wanted to thank you all for your help in this problem. It's been a long undertaking, but I got it fixed. The cause? The Spring steel finger that the rooster meshes with - Was BENT at like 90 Degrees, Making it jump one gear ahead! I could get 1st, 2nd, And Drive, But no reverse, or park. Also found the machined shaft in the valve body that attaches to the manual lever was broken off, found a piece of it in the pan. These were definately not hard fixes, really only had to drop the pan, and remove a 5/16" Bolt for the finger, and a snap ring for the shaft. It was especially cheap too, since I had an extra transmission lying beside the truck in the shop. I just had a gut feeling it was a mechanical issue, but it's absoloutely CRAZY that like 3 other transmission did the same thing. Has anyone ever experienced a stifling problem like this that made you almost want to give up? Thanks so much guys!" http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...l-reverse.html
I came across the same stuff on other forums. Most pointed to damage to the shift linkage in some way. I'm gonna have to inspect it tomorrow
Old 05-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Got Retrofit?

Fluid good?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM

Update*******

I checked the linkage, and aside from being filthy by the shifter, it checked out fine. The linkage to the neutral safety switch also was selecting the right gears, but the problem still continued (somewhat). I turned on the car and did a rev in park and the car finally revved past 2k. After doing this reverse came back and so did neutral. I'm not trusting this transmission and may just replace it as a precaution.

Last edited by Fauken; 05-26-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Fluid good?
Fluid is topped off and does not smell burnt
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Got Retrofit?

How does it feel?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
How does it feel?
Feels normal. Did a couple of test drives, but the best metaphor I can use for this is;

It's like a chick that hurt you bad, and now you're using her until you find something better.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM

******Update

The transmission is very sluggish at this point. Car doesn't accelerate as well as it used to.
Since all the linkage readily visible checked out (I didn't check the linkage by the VB) I'm thinking its time to consider a younger trans.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:25 AM

Time for a 6mt
Old 05-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Know any good transmission shops in your neck of the woods that will check it out for free?

Get a VLSD and we can have another transmission swap party at my house. LOL
Old 05-28-2015, 06:04 PM

Dropping the AT pan and VB to check the shift lever is easy. Search this forum and you'll find all the necessary steps. To complete that you'll just need a new AT pan gasket and several quarts of dextron III ATF.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
Dropping the AT pan and VB to check the shift lever is easy. Search this forum and you'll find all the necessary steps. To complete that you'll just need a new AT pan gasket and several quarts of dextron III ATF.
I agree it is, but this trans is at 280k now. Best move in my eyes is to give her better legs. Once the transmission swap is done I will investigate it further to see what else was damaged.