4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Would jacking up the back of car lower the front a bit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 PM

Would jacking up the back of car lower the front a bit?

I have bought a 99 maxima now very good condition. One thing though, the owner put regular springs and struts in front with stock height but the rear has lowering springs in it. So it is kinda sagged. He did that since his springs went to waste amd decided to go back to stock height but didn't do the back. Car is higher in front then the back. There's like a 2.5 to 3 inch gap in front and looks horrible. If I put stock rear struts and springs would the front go a little lower? The front springs are pretty new he said and haven't settled. The are about a week old. If I can insert photos easier I'll do it but I do think know how
Old 06-25-2015, 11:43 PM

I was told by folks here it's always better to have a "even" front/rear height distribution than front or rear being lower than one another.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by george__
I was told by folks here it's always better to have a "even" front/rear height distribution than front or rear being lower than one another.
I know that but with the stock rear one's I can buy on ebay would that kinda lower the front a bit since it has an exaggerated height?
Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 AM

barring what ying-yang boy said , i would put some quick struts on the rear just to even out the ride. i'd replace the strut mounts while your in there as well as there probably shot too.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
barring what ying-yang boy said , i would put some quick struts on the rear just to even out the ride. i'd replace the strut mounts while your in there as well as there probably shot too.
Yes I am gonna do that, I know how to switch them my self it's super easy. But would that lower front and settle in the springs more? Because I just measured right now and it's actually 4.5 inch height. That is monstrous height. The back right now only has about a 2 inch gap. 4.5 is higher than stock
Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 AM

wow, pic of actual car would help. i would say if your looking for a maxima monster truck ( stock ride height ) then i think it'll be ok once you do the new struts/strut mounts. check the springs to see if they're all the same as well. that'll change the height also.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MrsmokeydogA32
I have bought a 99 maxima now very good condition. One thing though, the owner put regular springs and struts in front with stock height but the rear has lowering springs in it. So it is kinda sagged. He did that since his springs went to waste amd decided to go back to stock height but didn't do the back. Car is higher in front then the back. There's like a 2.5 to 3 inch gap in front and looks horrible. If I put stock rear struts and springs would the front go a little lower? The front springs are pretty new he said and haven't settled. The are about a week old. If I can insert photos easier I'll do it but I do think know how
Measure the height of the wheel well opening in the fender. On a car with stock suspension all around, from the ground to the fender right in the center of the opening (the highest point) should be approximately 28.1 inches.

With the rear end sitting lower, the front will probably measure more than this. Changing the rear springs should level out the car. Like max ride 41 suggested, use quick struts which give you the strut also.

And as for "The front springs are pretty new he said and haven't settled" that is bs. They don't"settle".
Old 06-26-2015, 11:02 PM

Don't get your hopes up with the quick struts, they will bring it back to stock height, but stock height is terribly high. Example" I lowered my car on H techs (1.5"ish all around) and a 1.5" front lip. Put together my front end is 3" lower than stock. My ground clearance in front is the same as many new cars.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Finkle
Don't get your hopes up with the quick struts, they will bring it back to stock height, but stock height is terribly high. Example" I lowered my car on H techs (1.5"ish all around) and a 1.5" front lip. Put together my front end is 3" lower than stock. My ground clearance in front is the same as many new cars.
My other maxima is lowered but it makes noise going left. With the stock springs it didn't seem as high as my 99 is now. The height is a hand and two fingers, why make the car so high?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:31 PM

Dang, that's higher than Harold and Kumar!

I'm not certain the noise has to do with being lowered, unless its lowered a lot. From what I hear on the .org 2" or less is easily done without too many issues. The CVs might wear out faster
Old 06-27-2015, 10:53 PM

I think 1.5-1.75 Drop is good enough to fill up the gap without damaging any suspension parts..looks almost like a Mercedes gap, anymore than 2" will kill the suspension parts and though gap will be really cool and sporty look, but then again you will kill the suspension parts..

I don't like slammed to the ground looks either.. Its bad for your car and can damage things underneath if your not too careful. Also.. If its raining and pouring.. your FKED! easily can get water into the exhaust if lowered too low..
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoshG
I think 1.5-1.75 Drop is good enough to fill up the gap without damaging any suspension parts..looks almost like a Mercedes gap, anymore than 2" will kill the suspension parts and though gap will be really cool and sporty look, but then again you will kill the suspension parts..

I don't like slammed to the ground looks either.. Its bad for your car and can damage things underneath if your not too careful. Also.. If its raining and pouring.. your FKED! easily can get water into the exhaust if lowered too low..

My other one isn't slammed to the ground, lowered 2.25 on the front. Axles are acting up on turns. I guess I should've went with eibach springs they're 1.5 drop. But they're almost 300.00 vs 67.95
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM

yeah the axles and boots can tear and break when lowered that low, You can keep the look but your gonna have to replace them sometime, versus if u had eibach you may never really end up replacing them while having a good look.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:35 PM

I have rear quick strut but the bolt screws won't line up with the mounting holes. One goes in but the other doesnt. Is there a trick to this? The front one's had a trick to it where the flat side faces firewall
Old 07-04-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MrsmokeydogA32
I have rear quick strut but the bolt screws won't line up with the mounting holes. One goes in but the other doesnt. Is there a trick to this? The front one's had a trick to it where the flat side faces firewall
They gave you the wrong one. Take it back and have it exchanged.