4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rattle/Grind accel/bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 PM

Rattle/Grind accel/bumps

96 Maxima 604K miles, 5 spd.
So..ive been trying to rule out what is causing this awful bounce/rattle on bumps, and the grinding (definitely not axles) on decent acceleration.
The motor mounts appear fine, and the motor doesn't shake or wobble, even on starting..but I have noticed, on the driver side if I bounce the car, the strut nut moves up and down along with bouncing the car..is that my problem with the rattling/bouncing on bumps and the grinding noise on acceleration? I can't seem to find anything on here similar to what im having... Im mainly concerned about the grinding because it seems to be associated with the 'bounce' the car has in a low gear with even a small amount of throttle. I have to be VERY gentle touching the throttle in a low gear at a low speed because if not it pops and grinds and bounces you back and forth..
Thanks in advance, times are tough and trying to be conservative where I can as far as fixing it for now.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:16 PM

Holy cow I did I just see 604k miles?? 604,000?! U drive a lot my friend but impressive, on original motor and trans??
Old 07-09-2015, 09:20 AM

Well, the original owner did 512k in 14 years, and I've put 19k on it. Just trying to keep it going. The original owner really kept up with maintenance as far as the car fax report shows. It doesn't say anything about a new motor/tranny. It runs perfect, no smoke or leaks, just trying to get that bouncing thing sorted out :/
I put over 400$ in new axles, tie rod ends, tie rods and sway bar end links when I bought it. Other than that..no issues.
But on my 96 auto 172k..ive put over 50k on it. My wife drives it now, and I have faitt that it has a lot of life left in it having this car!

Last edited by NissanNismoZ; 07-09-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Details
Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
I have noticed, on the driver side if I bounce the car, the strut nut moves up and down along with bouncing the car..is that my problem
Yes, see if the nut tightens up, if not the strut shaft might be stripped and/or the strut mount is shot.

Do you know when the last time the struts were replaced? Might be time for a set of quick struts which come complete with the spring and mount. Makes for an easy swap.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Ok, so I tried tightening the strut bolt akd it just spins freely..pretty easily actually..the passenger side is pretty well stuck in place. So is that my problem? The rubber inside spins around while I try to tighen it.
Not sure when they were replaced..
Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NissanNismoZ
Ok, so I tried tightening the strut bolt akd it just spins freely..pretty easily actually..the passenger side is pretty well stuck in place. So is that my problem? The rubber inside spins around while I try to tighen it.
Not sure when they were replaced..
might be time for new struts if the bolt is spinning freely. Loose struts can cause a lot of noise.