4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is this for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:19 PM

What is this for?

I'm working on my automatic transmission valve body. When I started to put things back together on the upper valve body, I noticed that there is a chamber (far right in the picture) that doesn't appear to do anything. When I checked the shop manual and a pretty good parts supplier I use, there are only four valve assemblies that go into that side of the upper valve body. Ideas?

Name:  DSCN1571.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  212.3 KB
Old 07-27-2015, 09:19 AM

Got an answer

You may have seen my other contribution to a thread about the TransGo Shift Kit. That was why I had the valve body out and what prompted this thread. I asked the Tech Support fellow at TransGo about this issue of the missing valve assembly at the same time he helped me with the other issue and he told me that Nissan (and several other car builders) will use the same casting for different locales or they find that a valve assembly is no longer needed. They will then block that valve bay off from the system and not use it. Mystery solved.