4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 Engine removal

Good Evening:
So my engine is leaking oil like a sieve. I replaced the rear valve cover gasket with no luck. I'm thinking it is the timing cover. I'm looking to pull the engine to change the real seal too.

I have seen a couple "post it" type write ups for removing the engine. I just have a question.

Do I need to pull the engine with the trans (auto) or can I separate the engine and trans to pull it?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 08:41 PM

My car was leaking a bit of oil for 2 years until recently I fixed it, It was mainly the timing chain covers, everytime I was driving, oil was splattering everywhere so I had to limit my driving until I got it fixed, What stopped the oil leak my mechanic replaced the following..

Timing chain covers
Both Valve Cover gaskets
New oil pressure switch
New knock sensor (optional, I had the part but he went ahead and replaced the old broken one)
New oil pan
Clean off all old oil
and of course put in new oil.

now Not even a single drip onto the ground.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:32 AM

The motor does NOT require removal in order to remove the front cover.

Do some searching.

There are some good threads and some related YouTube videos.

It's a bit of a hassle and logistically a PITA but not technically difficult.

But less of a hassle, less of a PITA and less technically difficult than pulling the motor.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That piece of info is a great help. Now knowing I can take the front cover off with out pulling the engine I may go that route. I have no problems pulling engines but there are so many sensors and connections on this engine. I'll search more on just pulling the timing cover. Thanks for helping this Maxima noob.

Just as an aside for the future. Does the engine have to come out with the trans attached or can be split.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nighthwk12
That piece of info is a great help. Now knowing I can take the front cover off with out pulling the engine I may go that route. I have no problems pulling engines but there are so many sensors and connections on this engine. I'll search more on just pulling the timing cover. Thanks for helping this Maxima noob.

Just as an aside for the future. Does the engine have to come out with the trans attached or can be split.
The engine and trans can both be removed separately. They don't need to be dropped together.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:57 PM

How many miles do you have on the engine?

I would be willing to bet most of the oil is coming from the half moon seals.

Here's a half moon picture below.

Old

Name:  TC_Half_Moon_zps8b347637.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  372.8 KB

New Half Moon

Name:  Half_Moon_Preinstallation_zps9a4b7072.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  216.5 KB

After Timing Cover resealing and new half moons.

Name:  Upper_Oil_Pan_Installation_Complete_zps8a094a4b.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  321.8 KB
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM

Have you looked at your PS pump return line hose? That usually leaks too. That hose gets really brittle and hard at the end and fails to keep fluid in even if you replace the oem clamp with a worm clamp. This is an easy fix.

I suggest you by some uv dye, uv flashlight, and yellow uv goggles to make sure you actually locate the leak. And make sure you clean up the engine of dirt and grim to help locate the leak better. I didn't do this first and looking back now, I might have not had to remove my rear/front timing cover at all. Most of the leaks were contributed by the rack and pinion and that return hose leaking onto the exhaust.