4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 Missing Warning lights on Ignition mode.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM

2 Missing Warning lights on Ignition mode.

I have searched on the forums and anywhere else, can not seem to find any answers..This just happened to me about 2 weeks ago.

So recently, On ignition mode There Is supposed to be

(Over-drive)
(Brake)(Air bag) - (battery)(Oil)(Seatbelt)(X)(CEL)

Well Brake and battery lights do not show up on ignition mode anymore, And sometimes my Seatbelt light will not come on sometimes, It'll only work when It wants to. I'm sure thats a loose wire.

So my 3 main lights that are working are the Airbag, Oil, Check-engine light which are very important compared to the battery and brake warning lights.

What are causing my 2 missing lights that are needed on ignition mode? Fuses? disconnected wire? Its not something serious but I would like it back, If it was the other way around like Oil and CEL, then that'd be a major concern..
maybe 3 weeks ago or less my passenger 1157 front socket burned out(Or fuse), I am getting the part but I already know what I need..Its not an issue right now but its something on my list to get done.. don't know if that would help that caused anything to burn or shorten out the Warning lights. (A new bulb didn't solve the problem)

Last edited by JoshG; 07-30-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Take the cluster out and check for burnt out bulbs. They don't last forever.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 PM

Ok sounds fair, if the bulbs don't fix the problem what would be the 2nd solution? I hope it's just bulbs burning out, would it be smart to replace all bulbs at once? what bulbs does it use?

Last edited by JoshG; 07-30-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

While it's true that bulbs don't last forever, how often to 2 die at the same time?
Also, these 2 bulbs are the very same ones that light up when your alternator is shot.
I think your car may have a ground issue and that your alternator may be on its way out. Take a multimeter and measure voltage across the battery terminals. When the engine is off it should be 12 volts or so. With the engine on, and a brand new alternator, you would read 14.2 volts. As the alternator ages/wears out the voltage drops lower. Below 13.6 and I would consider replacing it.....and clean your grounds. Any wire attaching to the body or engine is a ground connection.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 AM

Well I had a big oil leak job done back in mid June and the alternator was covered in oil, it was cleaned off afterwards anyway. But I find it strange that it's only the battery and brake lights that went missing, sometimes but not much when I start the car it will try to start but won't .. As if like a ground connection is not secure, but then I turn the key 2nd time and starts up beautifully. Although this doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once in 7-9 start ups.

cause of all the oil that was on it before, even though cleaning it afterwards the damage to the alternator May of have been done already? And that may get worse over time? But who knows

Last edited by JoshG; 07-31-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:49 PM
JvG

Have you tested the voltage at the battery terminals yet? Doing so would let you know if it is performing as it should. Your results will also tell us if the battery light is acting as it should.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM
JvG

Your marker light by the headlight might have dirty contacts. Try cleaning them.

Removing the instrument panel is not easy, but is do-able. There is a good video on YouTube.
The video might mention which bulbs touch need.

Since removing the instrument panel is a pita you should replace every single light bulb. Once one light burns out the rest will shortly. You do not want to do that multiple times.

The bulbs come mounted in their own socket. The bulb and socket are essentially one piece.
It will be far less expensive to buy a box of ten bulbs than to buy individual bulbs.

Since remo
Old 08-02-2015, 08:02 PM

the battery is 2 years old now, so even that if the brake and battery lights are no longer showing, that the battery or alternator may be on its way out? I thought it was the other way around that If your battery or alternator goes out/on its way, Both Battery and brake lights will show up on the dash with the car running. I've had battery terminal issues back when I first owned the car 3 years ago, It just needed cleaning and a new terminal. No issues since then.

and if it happens to be the bulbs burning out behind the cluster, I may just wait until the Main lights burn out that are a need, Which are my CEL, OIL, Airbag lights. Battery lights and brake lights are not a driver's "concern" atleast for me. I just find it odd only Brake and battery lights went gone.

and for the marker lights, there are sockets for 1157 bulbs on Ebay I can buy to replace them, I don't know if cleaning them will do any good, I was told that it was burnt..could give it a try though. I don't drive much at night so it doesn't bother me much, something I would like to get done though. the Actual glass on the outer is Cracked, with 95 degree weather in TX, Don't know if that caused the socket or bulb to get crazy hot for it to burn it as its not being fully protected. I'm sure its just socket being old and from age. Something to do on my list when i got the time. Not a big deal. I see people driving with Burned out headlights here In TX, its nuts. lol

Last edited by JoshG; 08-02-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Hope u can see it cracked ( starting around the bottom area and crack is going upwards) , but it's been like this for 3years and bulb worked fine. But just wondering if this burned out the socket and may need to replace the part to prevent it burning again.

Last edited by JoshG; 08-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 AM
JvG

Josh,

I mentioned testing the voltage at the battery. First test the voltage with the car off.
Write it down. Next test the voltage at the battery with the engine on. The voltage should be higher if the alternator works properly. Write that down. Next test the voltage at about 3000 rpm. This is the voltage produced while you are driving. Write that down.

After you have done these steps report your results.

Someone mentioned checking your grounds. That is also a good step.

Again, your marker light probably has dirty contacts. Clean them. Do you get 12 volts at the contacts?

I am assuming that you own a volt- ohm meter. If you do not, buy one. It will come in handy for a lot of things when working on a car.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 AM
JvG

The cracked lens on the marker light might have allowed water to penetrate inside. The water could have corroded your contacts. You might need to clean the contacts. Replace the lens, or cover the crack with tape of some kind.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM

Ok sounds good, will have a look at the voltage, and for the cracked lens, it doesn't allow anything to get inside, just cosmetically cracked. Will take a look at both of these minor things