4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Plastic Box in Left Rear Quarter Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 AM

Plastic Box in Left Rear Quarter Panel?

I'm replacing the inner and outer panels of my left rear quarter. The outside is lightly rusted while the inside is rotted away. Before I start this process I need this part that sits next to the evaporaotr canister identified?

It's a plastic box that has a bracket surrounding it and it slides half way into the left rear quarter panel. Removing the left trunk lining I found a paper filter on the inner side of this box.

When I weld on a good shaped outer quarter panel I'm going to weld cut sheet metal for the inner panel. Should I re-mount this box onto the inner panel?

I've searched this forum and the internet for hours but found no results. I also couldn't find this part listed by any OEM distributors.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 AM

That "box" is an air vent. When the windows are closed and you have the heater or a/c on with the fan going, the air in the passenger compartment goes into the trunk and out through that vent.

I discovered that one winter when I want into the trunk after driving and it was warm in there.

Nissan calls it "Drafter-Air, Rear Fender LH", part # 78853-40U00. They are very proud of that piece of plastic, giving it a list price of $71.81.

Parts diagram - http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts...e-fitting.html

Last edited by DennisMik; 08-28-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added parts diagram link
Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Sometimes also known as the "flapper vent".

In addition to Dennis's explanation, it also functions to vent interior pressure ... i.e. it allows for the effective closure of doors with the windows fully closed.

With the pretty awesome weather sealing of vehicles without this pressure release mechanism a fully closed up car would not allow you to close the doors without a hefty and likely damaging slam.

This vent alleviates that potential problem.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
That "box" is an air vent. When the windows are closed and you have the heater or a/c on with the fan going, the air in the passenger compartment goes into the trunk and out through that vent.

I discovered that one winter when I want into the trunk after driving and it was warm in there.

Nissan calls it "Drafter-Air, Rear Fender LH", part # 78853-40U00. They are very proud of that piece of plastic, giving it a list price of $71.81.

Parts diagram - http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts...e-fitting.html
Thanks for the lead Dennis. They also want $47.81 for it's bracket (guard).

Being plastic that vent is in good condition so I'll remount onto the sheet metal I weld. It's bracket can be sanded with a grinder along with using new nuts and bolts.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Sometimes also known as the "flapper vent".

In addition to Dennis's explanation, it also functions to vent interior pressure ... i.e. it allows for the effective closure of doors with the windows fully closed.

With the pretty awesome weather sealing of vehicles without this pressure release mechanism a fully closed up car would not allow you to close the doors without a hefty and likely damaging slam.

This vent alleviates that potential problem.
How right Turbo is,

I went a little overboard on my soundproofing and sealed up all the vents going from the cabin to the trunk with sound deadening material. It does take more work to shut my door, and when I do, the sunroof bounces a little bit. I don't regret it though, the trunk was a major source of noise in my car. So much of the bottom/sides of the trunk had rusted away. I had rust holes so big, the tool bag next to the jack fell out on my driveway. I wanted to seal everything up.

Last edited by Finkle; 08-28-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Sheet metal in that area of my car is also rotting away.
Jholly, I would be very interested in seeing some pictures are you go through the repair.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by yellow_cake
Sheet metal in that area of my car is also rotting away.
Jholly, I would be very interested in seeing some pictures are you go through the repair.
Before I weld that inner panel I have to find a left quarter that's in decent shape. Due to the weather conditions in the NE finding a good quarter will take time so don't hold your breath

I'm searching an auto parter today that has several 4th and 5th GEN Maxima's in his 1/2 acre lot. With no outlet nearby I'll be using my lithium ion battery powered grinder.