4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

GXE to SE swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

GXE to SE swap

What's up maxima enthusiasts, I've owned a GXE for about 15 years with 155k miles and I recently bought an SE with 200k miles (same model year 99) because I enjoy the car so much I wanted a manual transmission. The big question I have is I want to do an engine swap, from the GXE to SE because it has less miles and is in better condition, the SE is leaking from a few areas and I need to replace clutch and figured if I'm going through the trouble of removing parts to replace gaskets I might as well do it on the GXE right and swap them out. Owned the GXE brand new from factory, bought the SE from some dude on Craigslist for $1300 a few days ago. I know it's a major undertaking but I'm fully capable of doing an engine swap. My plan is to remove the engine from the GXE and while the engine is on a stand, go through it meticulously and replace all gaskets, clean her up and make some minor engine modifications. Now for the questions.
- Am I going to run into problems with the ECU? If so can I get the system refreshed?
- Is the GXE and SE engines completely the same? (minus the manual tranny)

I'm new to MAXIMA.ORG and I figured if there is any place to ask, it's here with the maxima family. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Administrator

1. No, you won't run into any ECU issues.
2. Engines are completely the same.

The differences between GXE's, GLE's and SE's all have to do with options and trim level type stuff. They all share the same engine.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Socalstillen
.... I enjoy the car so much I wanted a manual transmission......
Good luck. And get ready for your enjoyment level to go up
Old 09-20-2015, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
1. No, you won't run into any ECU issues.
2. Engines are completely the same.

The differences between GXE's, GLE's and SE's all have to do with options and trim level type stuff. They all share the same engine.
Oh I thought the auto, and manual have different ecu's? idk why I thought that, i think i saw a post somewhere oh well good to know though
Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Oh I thought the auto, and manual have different ecu's? idk why I thought that, i think i saw a post somewhere oh well good to know though
He is swapping the engine, not the wiring harness.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys, I have another question. With the transmission having 200k miles, guy says he replaced the clutch 80k miles ago but it's worn and throwout bearing is making tons noise. If I'm going to replace it might as well use a good quality performance clutch that'll last a while so any ideas on some performance clutches? Also is it worth rebuilding the tranny at the same time I replace the clutch?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:37 PM

I would just put a good OE clutch in. I've had good luck with LUK clutches, but maybe someone with more experience with maximas will recommend something else.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 PM
JvG

I would certainly change out the clutch. Also the engine rear main seal.

The transmission? Well, depends on how much longer I plan to keep the car. Ten years, consider rebuilding transmission. Seriously though, our cars are 16-21 years old. They are not classics. So get all the miles you can from the car, without going to untold time and expense. In the end, our cars will be scrap metal.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
I would certainly change out the clutch. Also the engine rear main seal. The transmission? Well, depends on how much longer I plan to keep the car. Ten years, consider rebuilding transmission. Seriously though, our cars are 16-21 years old. They are not classics. So get all the miles you can from the car, without going to untold time and expense. In the end, our cars will be scrap metal.
It seems solid except for clutch and throw out bearing, no grinding or slipping so I think it's pretty solid, I'll be able to get away with clutch replacement for a long time then eventually debate on a rebuild of tranny. I'm going to change all seals and gaskets on the GXE prior to swap, not going to waste time and money replacing the SE engine.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Socalstillen
It seems solid except for clutch and throw out bearing, no grinding or slipping so I think it's pretty solid, I'll be able to get away with clutch replacement for a long time then eventually debate on a rebuild of tranny. I'm going to change all seals and gaskets on the GXE prior to swap, not going to waste time and money replacing the SE engine.
Maybe the previous owner made the mistake of not replacing the original throwout bearing when he changed the clutch.

I would get an OEM type clutch if I were you. Higher performance clutches usually hurt drivability, like heavy pedal feel etc. A higher performance clutch would only make sense if you plan on increasing the engine power dramatically, like turbo or SC.

I've owned 2 98 Maxima 5-speeds. In my 1st car I bought at 30K miles, at 150K miles the clutch went and and I bought a heavy duty clutch. That clutch was so strong that it felt like it could grab and stop a spinning mach truck. Clutch feel was very heavy. My left thigh grew considerably stronger than my right

On my 2nd 98 car, the I30 now, I bought the car at 150K miles. The clutch finally went at 200K miles. I went with OEM style this time. New clutch engagement was soft as butter.

Also, remember, your 5MT takes GL4 tranny fluid only. Not GL5.