4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

00vi Worth it for Daily Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 AM

00vi Worth it for Daily Driving?

Hello,

I just installed a Warpspeed Y-Pipe and also putting in an intake and Big-3. I am really considering doing an 00vi swap, but am curious if it is worth it for daily driving. I do like modding for power, but I do not do any races nor mod for 1/4 times, so I am wondering if it will even benefit me in daily driving. I have searched and have seen it mentioned that the 00vi only truly helps on the high-way. I don't know if this is true or not. I also know that the 00vi does not lose low end power like the MEVI, but helps with Mid and Upper end power, so does this mean that I will only really feel it when accelerating really fast?

Any insight would be great as I make my decision on whether or not to buy and do this mod, thanks!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The 00VI will mostly be felt on the highway at speeds in excess of above 70 mph....ish, compared to stock. On the manual tranny, if you notice how the car struggles above 5200 rpms to reach redline in 3rd, 4th of 5th gear, and you want to fix that, then the 00VI is the perfect mod for you.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM
oem ftw!

If you're not into the occasional stop light battle, then you'll really feel the difference when merging on to the highway or if you floor it to downshift / pass. I had my RPM switch set at 5000. It was a major difference for me, a fun learning experience and I did not regret the upgrade.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:55 PM

Is it really ask finnicky to get it running right as I've been reading? Or is it only a low percentage of people that have issues?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:58 PM
oem ftw!

I used 5th gen everything, except for the IACV. I didn't have any issues at all.
In retrospect, I could have used the 5th gen IACV too for a cleaner install (I believe you only have to modify a harness for it to plug in), but I already had the adapter plate so I opted to retain my 4th gen one.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:12 PM

Alright cool.

How does 00vi effect gas mileage? I'm planning on getting all 5th gen stuff so I know it'll run rich until I tune it. But Once it gets dialed in, is MPG the same, better, or worse?

Also, how hard is it to tune, can I tune myself or can it only be done at a dyno? And on that note, would getting my car dynoed and tuned be expensive?

Also, is there a guide to tuning in the forums? I've looked but haven't found any definitive answers, just random mentions in threads.

I know it's a lot of questions, but they are ones that I wasn't able to find sufficiently answered so far in my reading.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lrb6805
Alright cool.

How does 00vi effect gas mileage? I'm planning on getting all 5th gen stuff so I know it'll run rich until I tune it. But Once it gets dialed in, is MPG the same, better, or worse?

Also, how hard is it to tune, can I tune myself or can it only be done at a dyno? And on that note, would getting my car dynoed and tuned be expensive?

Also, is there a guide to tuning in the forums? I've looked but haven't found any definitive answers, just random mentions in threads.

I know it's a lot of questions, but they are ones that I wasn't able to find sufficiently answered so far in my reading.
Gas mileage will be the same

Since you don't know about tuning, it will prove to be challenging at first. Not to mention you'll need something to tune with like a VAFCII, Nistune, Emanage etc and a wideband.

No guide to tuning on the forum. Google search or invest in a good tuning book as there are plenty on Amazon.

Dyno tuning will get pretty expensive

Skip the 5th gen injectors and no tuning will be required.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:04 PM

Alright, Thanks Wizard!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:43 PM

Great Mod!! Best mod I've done on the Max. (did Y pipe, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust, and intake). Nothing came close to the gain of the 00VI. It can also be felt through all RPMs. I noticed the difference pulling out of my driveway. I had the 00VI for almost a year before I found a switch to trigger the VIAS. There was still a great gain without the VIAS working.
I used the 4th gen LIM at first, as I didn't have anything to tune with, and everything went well. No vacuum, or TPS problems. No erratic idle or loss of power.

Its more work at first to drill and tap the LIM to fit, but requires no tune, so its less work in the long run. I later switched over to the 5th gen LIM with 5.5 gen injectors, and noticed a nice little gain from the switch.

I have never tracked or raced my car, the 00VI is a great mod not just for highway, but city driving as well. The most obvious difference is about 5k to redline, but there are noticeable gains through the whole power band.

IMO there is almost too much information on the .org about the 00VI swap. Information overload when using search function. Feel free to PM me if you have any problems if you decide to take the plunge.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Finkle
........ I later switched over to the 5th gen LIM with 5.5 gen injectors, and noticed a nice little gain from the switch.
Placebo effect me thinks. Injectors alone don't make power....
Old 09-24-2015, 04:39 AM

Its more work at first to drill and tap the LIM to fit, but requires no tune, so its less work in the long run. I later switched over to the 5th gen LIM with 5.5 gen injectors, and noticed a nice little gain from the switch.
Because the 5th gen UIM is not a direct fit to the 4th gen LIM, the gains you must have felt probably came from mating the 5th gen UIM to its original 5th gen LIM, therefore all the port passages perfectly lined up.

Do you think it would be possible to mount 4th gen injectors in the 5th gen LIM? With that setup you wouldn't need a tune and the ports would line up perfect.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:03 AM

I've got a New Zealand delivered SMX (Steve Millen built 120 -20 manual and 100 autos- for Nissan NZ to sell thru the dealers) on which I plan on doing an 00VI swap. To my knowledge the SMXes had different fuel maps to standard Maxima's. Does anyone know if that's accurate and if it is would I still need to get it retuned to work with the 5th gen injectors?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 PM

Dyno Costs

If I were to go the tuning route, I would these be considered good prices?

Tuning: $100 1st hour, $75 each subsequent hour

http://www.atsracing.net/Main/Dyno
Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that pricing seems fair.

I'd research them and look for reviews. Cheap pricing doesn't mean much if they don't know what they're doing.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Because the 5th gen UIM is not a direct fit to the 4th gen LIM, the gains you must have felt probably came from mating the 5th gen UIM to its original 5th gen LIM, therefore all the port passages perfectly lined up.

Do you think it would be possible to mount 4th gen injectors in the 5th gen LIM? With that setup you wouldn't need a tune and the ports would line up perfect.

I'm not sure if the question is sarcasm or not, in case not ,No, its not possible to put 4th gen injectors in a 5th gen LIM.

My guess on more power is the timing advance from tricking the ECU that the car is using less air than it actually is.

I noticed the power boost with the 5.5 gen injectors in low-mid band part throttle. Peak HP didn't change, but I felt more torque around 2-3k rpm. It changed my driving style, I used to rev up past 4k quite often, now I hang out around 3k.

Its not all in my head, I didn't tell my wife I did a thing, but she noticed right away.

dwapenyi - I didn't mean to come off like a jackass, sorry if I did. I would love to be able to put 4th gen injectors in a 5th gen LIM. The 4th gen injectors are side fed, and the 5th gen are top fed. Plus the holes in the LIM are very different sizes.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 09-30-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 AM

No worries, man. Just curious....and you have confirmed what has been documented before. I was hoping there would be a new take on this setup.
I just wish there could be a way to fit the 4th gen fuel rail into the 5th gen LIM.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
No worries, man. Just curious....and you have confirmed what has been documented before. I was hoping there would be a new take on this setup.
I just wish there could be a way to fit the 4th gen fuel rail into the 5th gen LIM.
That would be awesome to be able to do it. I was skeptical about everybody saying it couldn't work, I mean, how different could a 99 and 00 fuel injector be?? Once I took a look at both LIMs next to each other, I went "oh yeah that wont work". On the plus side, it looks like Nissan kept the same design from the 5th gen up, so once the work is done to get the 5th gen LIM in and tuned, there are a variety of injectors that one can use.

From what I remember the 5th gen UIM and LIM are not port matched either. I seem to recall when I was switching from the 4th to 5th gen LIMs, debating on pulling the UIM off to port match the 5th gen LIM. It's really nice that it all bolts up, and I'm assuming that if there were any significant gains to be had by port matching, that Nissan would have done it from the factory.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:12 AM

That would be awesome to be able to do it. I was skeptical about everybody saying it couldn't work, I mean, how different could a 99 and 00 fuel injector be?? Once I took a look at both LIMs next to each other, I went "oh yeah that wont work". On the plus side, it looks like Nissan kept the same design from the 5th gen up, so once the work is done to get the 5th gen LIM in and tuned, there are a variety of injectors that one can use.
OK that makes sense because Nissan anticipated bigger, more powerful engines in the future, but for a VQ30 NA? Sure, turbo and SC could use the bigger injectors, and IMO the better spray pattern of newer injectors on an NA VQ30 just benefits emissions, if anything.

From what I remember the 5th gen UIM and LIM are not port matched either.
Say it isn't so. Really?