4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

missing parts of ac system?

Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM

missing parts of ac system?

This is behind the passenger front strut, if anyone is wondering. I've always wondered what's supposed to be there. I tried to have the ac system recharged on the car and the tech said as soon as he hooked the machine up, he could hear air flow out, and he said there was a leak in a line somewhere. Someone else told me this is where the ac canister should be. I'm wondering if that's the case here. Can anyone help me out?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM

That is just a pressure switch. The only thing missing from the pic is a wire that plugs in there.
Name:  100_3926.jpg
Views: 5901
Size:  94.8 KB
Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 PM

I agree with asand1. That is an electrical connector for the power steering pressure switch.

But what kind of technician did you have working on the car? A technician is supposed to be trained in repair, which means he should be able to find a leak, especially one that is so obvious that he could hear it.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I agree with asand1. That is an electrical connector for the power steering pressure switch.

But what kind of technician did you have working on the car? A technician is supposed to be trained in repair, which means he should be able to find a leak, especially one that is so obvious that he could hear it.
I went to Valvoline.....a place where we're supposed to be somewhat knowledgable. Apparently not all stores in the Syracuse area bother teaching the techs or assistant managers things like that. Good thing I no longer work there...so, where can I get the missing part? Do I need it? It's never been there...
Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 AM

The missing "part" is part of the engine wiring harness. Look around for a disconnected wire that is hanging down in that area. It would be very strange as to why that would be missing.

Since you have been driving the car without it, it obviously can't be all that critical as the car hasn't exploded yet.

And it won't. What this pressure switch does is tell the ECU that you are turning the wheels, which makes the power steering pump work, which puts a drag on the engine. When the car is stopped at a light and you turn the wheel, the drag from the power steering pump will cause the engine rpms to drop some. The pressure switch lets the ECU know this is happening so that the ECU will give the engine a little more gas so that the idle rpms do not drop.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The missing "part" is part of the engine wiring harness. Look around for a disconnected wire that is hanging down in that area. It would be very strange as to why that would be missing.

Since you have been driving the car without it, it obviously can't be all that critical as the car hasn't exploded yet.

And it won't. What this pressure switch does is tell the ECU that you are turning the wheels, which makes the power steering pump work, which puts a drag on the engine. When the car is stopped at a light and you turn the wheel, the drag from the power steering pump will cause the engine rpms to drop some. The pressure switch lets the ECU know this is happening so that the ECU will give the engine a little more gas so that the idle rpms do not drop.
I've searched high and low for a disconnected piece in that corner, and there is literally nothing to plug into it. Unless it fell way down and is stuck where I can't reach it.....it's long gone.

So I guess that means I do have a leak in the ac system somewhere. I was really hoping that was part of it. Darn.