4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen to 5.5 gen parts compatability ??

Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 PM

4th gen to 5.5 gen parts compatability ??

Hello all on the .org
I'm looking to move up from a 4th gen to a 5.5 gen max when I get taxes back in a couple of months.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 4th gen, and everything is working great on it (202k). I was going to keep it in the family and have my wife drive it. Problem is, she wants it back to stock form.

I put a ton of aftermarket parts that I don't want to give up and start over. So, that leads me to the question, what parts can be swapped over to the 5.5 gen. Some parts like the head unit, AFR gauge, and E manage I know will swap easily. The main parts I'm wondering about are:

Struts and springs - I have a almost new set of kybs with Teins. I read the rears might fit the 5th gen, and the 5.5 gen fit the 5th gen. so if 4 = 5 and 5=5.5, then 4=5.5??? Fronts might fit if the bolt holes for the knuckle are drilled. Has anyone done this?

Poly motor mounts - torque mounts - if the whole mount support bar would switch that would be amazing, but probably not a reality

Headers and Y pipe - e-bay ones where the y pipe can be used with stock manifolds. I don't care about EGR, I'm not using it on the 4th gen currently.

Also, does the AE lip kit fit on the 5.5 gen? Looks like it will, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for all the .orgs help!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:13 AM

I would just buy another 4th gen for your wife, it wont be worth it to take off the tasteful mods... don't know why she wants to drive a stock car.. but thats typical..
Old 11-21-2015, 03:29 PM

She says its too low and she doesn't like the slight vibration of the motor mounts. I was really surprised that the mounts made a little vibration as they did.

I was also looking to save some money if I do end up getting a 5.5. If I can swap the suspension and the motor mounts, at least I wouldn't feel like I'm "starting over" with a stock car. I enjoy the mods so much its hard to go back to stock and wait to get money to mod again.

I also thought about selling the car whole and buying a stock 4th gen. But I don't know how much someone would pay for a modded car. It could make it worth less not more. I'm just not sure what to do with it yet. I put over 2k into mods alone, let alone all the hours spent making custom pieces like the lip kit, interior leds, and projector retro.
I have a couple months to get it figured out, but I want to have an idea of what my options are.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 PM

honestly If I were you I'd keep the modded max, and buy her a stock 4th gen, you happy and she happy. Its not worth taking off the mods, too much of your soul put into it...