4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cost to replace a/c compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:54 PM

cost to replace a/c compressor?

Local shop has quoted me $1050 for a compressor replacement and recharge. That seems like a lot given I can find the part for $200. Anyone had this done and know what a reasonable charge is? It looks like it's pretty easy to do except for having to drain and recharge the system, which makes it an impossible DIY task...
Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Administrator

How handy are you? Have basic metric sockets and wrenches? Replacement is actually quit easy. I'd consider doing that yourself and just paying an AC shop to vacuum out any moisture introduced into the system and do a simple recharge. The recharge should cost between $75 to $150, depending on where you go.

Regardless of what you do, get a few more estimates. That shop is trying to rip you off big time.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
That shop is trying to rip you off big time.
Golly, A/C costs in CALI must be good for the consumer.

On the Maxima, about 4 years ago here in Tampa, a new compressor, new expansion valve, evaporator clean-out and system purge and recharge cost me right about $1,200.00.

I've also got an early/mid-90s F150. Doing all of the hard parts installation myself and having a local A/C shop do the system vacuum and recharge cost me ~ $320.00.

To the OP ... I agree on the DIY suggestion.

Provided your other components are in good shape, replacing the compressor isn't a big deal at all.

Keep in mind though that if you crack open the system you're going to want to also replace the accumulator/dryer as well.

Last edited by Turbobink; 02-04-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Turbobink, did you get 3 estimates? $1200 is too much IMO. Here in southern CA , AC shops are on every corner...maybe fierce competition is why Cali prices are so good.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:34 AM

How much did you pay for yours in CA wizard? What range would you consider is a fair deal to replace and recharge the system?
Old 02-04-2016, 12:10 PM

Turbobink, did you get 3 estimates?
Nope. Took it straight to a local shop that's got a notably reputation ("good" reputation, that is).

$1200 is too much IMO.
IMO as well ...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Working at a shop myself, usually when your given high quotes its because they dont want to deal with it, or they think they can get over. My advice is start reading up and do it your self.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by hooloovoo
Local shop has quoted me $1050 for a compressor replacement and recharge. That seems like a lot given I can find the part for $200. Anyone had this done and know what a reasonable charge is? It looks like it's pretty easy to do except for having to drain and recharge the system, which makes it an impossible DIY task...
Meh, that's not ridiculously expensive for a compressor replacement. A/C isn't cheap. You can't just pull off the old compressor and slap and new one on and charge up the freon.

I have a $100 vacuum pump from harbor freight for doing a/c which is necessary if you want it to work when you're done. It pulls all the moisture out of the lines and checks for leaks. You will need the a/c pressure gauges too, they run about $50.

You will also need to buy a new drier, oil, and freon. Depending on the condition of the compressor, I would flush the lines too. If it grenaded and plugged the hoses with debris, you can destroy the new compressor. Most parts houses won't issue a refund on a bad compressor unless you have an invoice from a legitimate shop, so that is also something to consider.

Are you sure it's the compressor?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 PM

Rip off

Yea the job isnt that difficult with all the parts needed such as the o rings and compressor. I also agree that here in CA recharges for AC are cheap. I fixed my AC system and got it recharged for around 50. U dont have to worry about the oil because when they hook it up to the machine it will automatically fill it up to specs. I think u should use youtube as an inspiration to DIY and save a good load of money.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 AM

A/c systems are too expensive, old and need repair way too frequently on these cars to keep running/cold, especially if not being used effectively. Even if you replace the compressor, you will need to change lots of other parts of the system. On both of my maximas the condenser was bad and leaking/ compressor bad. These cars are way too old to be fixing up so a degrading system. Not to mention the resale value on these cars is god awful and you'll lose that money you put into it. I would either invest your money in something your car would benefit more from (control arms, tires, alignment, battery, struts, etc) or buy yourself a newer car if ac is that important

Last edited by bumpypickle; 02-05-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 AM

It's Cheaper to own a paid off car that'll have some repairs here and there.. Can't always be thinking of the resale value all the time..versus than a newer car that you pay monthly and owe $10k+ and may even have interest in it so you pay more. I have put $5k in 3 years into my max, however my other buddy who owns a newer car that was priced at $30k and lost $16k in only a year and a half doing nothing to it, just driving. Some people can deal with repairs, some people get annoyed by it, so it's all on different peoples taste and perspective.

But yeah no one can live without a/c unless you want to sweat in the car or live in the cold all the time.. Then a/c is not necessary cause it would just blow out warm air..I would just keep looking around for quotes.

Last edited by JoshG; 02-05-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
Can't always be thinking of the resale value all the time..versus than a newer car that you pay monthly and owe $10k+ and may even have interest in it so you pay more.
My car's been paid off for about 13+ years now.

I'm one of those dorks that keeps pretty good and up to date records related to $$ that goes into my cars.

I did a calculation after I re-did the injector's last summer ...

Based on the amount of $$ I've put into the car for maintenance and repairs since it's been paid for, my monthly payment for the last 13 years has been right around $23.00.

Still very much worth keeping it and continuing to put $$ into it IMO.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem putting money into my car. But when it comes to something like dumping money into an a/c system that's just gonna break over winter just to need repair next season? No thanks I'll roll down the windows.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 PM

So the DIY route is what I was considering. Looks like a rebuilt compressor is about $200. I think I should be able to take it somewhere and have the refrigerant drained, swap the compressor, then take it back and have the system recharged. The compressor looks easy to access and only 4 bolts. If I did that I could probably do it for about $400 total and not too much hassle...
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 AM

I've swapped compressors and other parts on a couple of my cars over the years. Here are some tips.

0) Remove the old refrigerant in a safe manner.

1) Remove Compressor and Dryer (switch is on the dryer)

2) Flush and blow out the system to remove any contaminants. When I cleaned out the systems on one of my cars it was really bad.

3) Install a new dryer and pressure switch. Why not replace the dryer and switch if you are replacing the compressor?

4) Replace o-rings

5) Fill compressor with correct type and amount of compressor oil.

6) Mount the compressor.

7) Evacuate (vacuum pump) the system and check for leaks.

I do this with my $99 pump from Harbor Freight and some R134a service gauges that I've had for years.

8) Charge the system to spec.

The dryer uses a size of o-ring that I could only get to work using a Nissan part. I just happened to have another Nissan dryer o-ring that I hadn't used that saved me that day.

I have used the following A/C system flush kit with an air-compressor (to blow out the system afterward) on several cars.

There are several good videos on how to replace and service air conditioner systems on YouTube.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-06-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 AM

Turbobink, did you get 3 estimates? $1200 is too much IMO. Here in southern CA , AC shops are on every corner...maybe fierce competition is why Cali prices are so good.
damn warm weather states.....
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM

I recommend DIY. I did it in a few hours and saved a bit of money. Before installing the new compressor, run power to it and make sure the clutch is activating. I installed mine and it turned out I was sold a bad compressor. Had to uninstall and take it back for another. Also, had an issue where the compressor had male fittings to both refrigerant lines. To be more clear, it had bolt or studs to where you just slide the lines on and secure them with a nut. The refurbished did not have those studs and i had to run to a bolt store the next morning and hunt down a pair of bolts to secure the lines.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Last year my compressor went out for my 4th Gen Max. Went to auto zone and bout a $300 compressor, got home, did some more search and found a new compressor on EBay for about $150, so you can guess what I did with the auto zone compressor lol
Old 02-27-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem putting money into my car. But when it comes to something like dumping money into an a/c system that's just gonna break over winter just to need repair next season? No thanks I'll roll down the windows.
Wish I could just roll down the windows in 105+ degree Inland California summer weather lol...
Old 02-27-2016, 02:13 PM

Ive have gone through 3 summers in 110 texas heat and high humidity in black leather interior.. Not fun, Never again!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:06 PM

I know you can just "roll down the windows" but being in a summer climate with just the windows rolled down is not fun at all. AC is a must. It's almost 90 degrees in late February where I live lol