4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter testing fine, but struggled to start even with new battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:34 AM

Starter testing fine, but struggled to start even with new battery

I may have asked this before, but can't seem to figure out still. Just trying to see where I should start here. Taking it to a mechanic doesn't seem to help because it only does it after the car sits for a few minutes especially when it's hot. But recently it's been doing it anytime, anywhere, when it used to only happen on hot days with low fuel. Last week my battery started going bad and I replaced it. I had the starter tested by Advanced and AAA.

What's happening is, every other start I turn it over and it either makes a sound like a toy race car and doesn't start, or it makes a scratchy grinding noise before starting, or while it's starting it'll get interrupted and then start up. Or, if I turn it off and on right away...it sounds just fine.

I replaced my battery because one morning I was starting up and it sounded like normal (taking 2-3 seconds is probably not normal though), but couldn't turn over completely as the battery didn't have enough juice to start it up

So far I've replaced spark plugs and the battery. But no plug wires or ignition coils. But for right now, I'm wondering how can I access the coil wires and spray silicone on them, and maybe that'll help? But if it's plug wires or distributer cap I could do that today...

Last edited by 97_GXE; 04-23-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 AM

I'd venture an educated guess that your starter's internal lubricant is old, desiccated and is binding the starter's operation.

I'm thinking either tear into the starter and clean and re-lube the drive gears or simply replace the starter.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I'd venture an educated guess that your starter's internal lubricant is old, desiccated and is binding the starter's operation.

I'm thinking either tear into the starter and clean and re-lube the drive gears or simply replace the starter.
That's what I was wondering too. I seen a thread awhile back about regreasing the starter...but wasn't sure if it's better to clean or replace.

Is that where the majority of noise from starting comes from?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 AM

I don't think we have a distributor cap and I'm inclined to think that if your car operates just fine when started, it probably isn't your coil packs. I wouldn't worry about the wires unless they are damaged. Although it does sound like the started isn't greased properly, I would still take it to a mechanic or a mechanically inclined friend and see what they think. Some shops by me don't make me pay a diagnostic fee if I choose to do the work myself.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
I don't think we have a distributor cap and I'm inclined to think that if your car operates just fine when started, it probably isn't your coil packs. I wouldn't worry about the wires unless they are damaged. Although it does sound like the started isn't greased properly, I would still take it to a mechanic or a mechanically inclined friend and see what they think. Some shops by me don't make me pay a diagnostic fee if I choose to do the work myself.
Oh okay, well that makes easier then. Right now I feel inclined to jump in and get to the starter this afternoon. It's getting pretty bad to where now I'm getting weird looks in the parking lot because it's making all these awful noises.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined with this car, once I know what to go for lol. I've looked at starters at the store and it's either new, reman, or the starter solenoid...which is half of the starter, but nothing to replace the gear sets. So might as well dive in and take it apart anyway
Old 04-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Chances are it is too late to grease the starter. When they start making noise, the planetary gear set is worn. The wear allows enough misalignment in the gears and the starter is fighting itself.

That's what happened on my 97. It tested good (according to the morons at autozone) but it wasn't. I opened the starter and greased the gears, but other than making the starter a little quieter, it didn't really help and I replaced the starter. Problem solved.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Chances are it is too late to grease the starter. When they start making noise, the planetary gear set is worn. The wear allows enough misalignment in the gears and the starter is fighting itself.

That's what happened on my 97. It tested good (according to the morons at autozone) but it wasn't. I opened the starter and greased the gears, but other than making the starter a little quieter, it didn't really help and I replaced the starter. Problem solved.
Dang...well, I just can't really afford to go all out on a new starter right now. But yeah I just started it up twice today to go to autozone and back for grease, and it's really not wanting to start up more and more

But then again, **** what I can't afford. I do not like doing work twice and especially chancing it being thousands of miles from home. I think I'm gonna replace

Last edited by 97_GXE; 04-23-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:12 PM

ok good news, I got the starter off: bad news...there's no grease in there at all. Bone dry. I'm kinda in between whether I want to replace or grease...but doing all this work I rather just replace it.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Not to blow my own thread up...but did my first starter replacement today and all was good. HOWEVER...I was a bit miffed that the DIY section in this forum didn't show how to take the actual starter off the engine. I unscrewed 4 unnecessary bolts and came out with 2 pieces when there was only just 2 bolts for the whole thing. I ended up just buying a brand new one (though from the parts store and it's Chinese made, will see...) but the problem is cured and the starter is turning over much faster. However...there's a still a little delay in startup. Something I attribute to must be coming from the fuel pump since it seems to happen on low fuel and after sitting. But no more grinding noises and horror movie startups (think CuJo).

Approaching 300,000 miles, it's def. becoming a bit of a money pit lol. Brakes, plugs, battery, starter...all in 2 weeks. But I saved money on the price and labor for the starter. I cant keep paying people $100-150 for labor on something I'm already familiar with.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM

I'm glad to hear that you got the car starting.

Unfortunately you are experiencing the joys of an older car, namely all the parts wearing out. If it is made by man, it is going to wear out and break. It just sucks when it happens all at once.

And your experience with removing the starter is another unfortunate happening, but part of it is on you. While you did try to find the info on the org, you stopped short in your search - the service manual does tell you 2 bolts.

It's all part of the learning curve. And once you've got it all figured out, you get a new car and it's all different.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I'm glad to hear that you got the car starting.

Unfortunately you are experiencing the joys of an older car, namely all the parts wearing out. If it is made by man, it is going to wear out and break. It just sucks when it happens all at once.

And your experience with removing the starter is another unfortunate happening, but part of it is on you. While you did try to find the info on the org, you stopped short in your search - the service manual does tell you 2 bolts.

It's all part of the learning curve. And once you've got it all figured out, you get a new car and it's all different.
Lol, yeah that's true. But I guess it's better to wait till things to go bad than to spend $1,200 on "recommended fixes" that dealers and tire shops gives. I honestly don't fix anything unless it breaks. Like my Muffler would literally need to fall off before I'll replace it lol. Shops have been giving me all these recommendations on fixing rack and pinion and front end parts, hood struts and fuel cleaners...yet they couldn't recommend a new starter which was the #1 issue I was dealing with lol.

I suppose the dismantling of the starter while trying to remove it did atleast help me see that the gears were pretty much toast and not worth regreasing and taking apart.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 04-24-2016 at 02:05 PM.