4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Jerking upon accel? MAF, fuel pump?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Jerking upon accel? MAF, fuel pump?

About a week ago I got my valve cover gaskets replaced, along with an oil change. After that, I noticed a small popping noise at idle, but I didn't think anything of it. After a few hard pulls yesterday, the car jerks and stutters when I accelerate, and the noise is now louder. I also noticed a very rich exhaust smell at idle. I pulled two CEL codes. One is MAF, other is absolute pressure sensor. Any thoughts on this? Pretty sure whoever worked on my car f'd something up while putting everything back together, idk.
Thanks

Last edited by homeofbacon; 05-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:50 PM
JvG

Maf is suspect.check and clean your electricAL connection there.
Check wiring and function of the other sensor as well.

In my experience, if something acts different immediately after working on something, the cause is most likely a small step I missed somwhere. Most often a vaccuum or electrical connection.

Do not assume fuel pump until after the fuel filter is replaced and also you have run a test for fuel pressure.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM

What are the actual codes you pulled? Sometimes there can be different codes for the same problem. It's possible they forgot to plug them back in (you have to remove a bunch of electrical connectors during this job). I know that those two connectors have to come off.

I actually replaced my valve cover gaskets last week and had an issue. My problem was the EGR tube not put on right, but there were no codes.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
What are the actual codes you pulled? Sometimes there can be different codes for the same problem. It's possible they forgot to plug them back in (you have to remove a bunch of electrical connectors during this job). I know that those two connectors have to come off.

I actually replaced my valve cover gaskets last week and had an issue. My problem was the EGR tube not put on right, but there were no codes.
0803 - Absolute Pressure Sensor
0102 - MAF
Here's a video of the noise it's making:
Old 05-07-2016, 05:29 AM

more than one way to skin a cat, meowww!

Originally Posted by homeofbacon
0803 - Absolute Pressure Sensor
0102 - MAF
Here's a video of the noise it's making: 98 Maxima Noise - YouTube
I have taken the intake off a few times and here where the issues I have had at different times.

1st time I finished at night and started it up and it sounded like yours, the problem was found in the morning. When I put the iacv back on, the gasket slipped from the top left bolt of the triangle shaped gasket, replaced it and it ran great.

Another time I started it up and it ran crappy, so I rechecked everything and I didn't push the connector back tight on the coil pack on cylinder 2.

There is more than one way to take it off, I take off the iacv and the tb, which is easier for ME. Others mess with those hoses instead. I get easy access to the egr guide tube that way.

My point is that, without knowing how it was done, any number of things could have gone wrong. It SOUNDS like an air leak, but who knows. You can get a squirt bottle with water or a can of brake cleaner/carb cleaner and spray it around the tb,iacv and the intake, if you hear a change in the engine while running, you found your problem. Don't forget around the egr guide tube where it meets the intake/plenum, most likely an air leak would be around the intake.

JVG gives good advice, you got a maf code and you didn't have one before, what's the chances it went bad? Slim at best, but not outside the realm. Most likely it wasn't pushed in COMPLETELY or the contacts are dirty. It's possible that the maf wasn't plug in after the job, it was caught, plugged back in, but you got the code and it wasn't cleared. Again supposition on my part. Was the cel on when you took it in? I'm confident it is something small. Also when the intake is tightened down, the 2 middle bolts need to be tighten first. 4 bolts in front from left to right 1 2 3 4. Sequence to tighten is 2 3 4 1 to 13-16 ft.lbs, pg EM 9, 1997 Fsm.

Take it back to the mechanic. You paid to have this done right!

When I do a repair and it doesn't run right, I don't panic (well maybe just a little) I go back over everything on the assumption that, it would be rare that something broke while the car wasn't running and the likely hood that I did something wrong or overlooked something is high.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but good luck and let us know what it was, to help others, including myself.

Last edited by Icemule; 05-07-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 AM

Have you checked to make sure everything is plugged in/ hoses back on? Last time I did intake cleaning I forgot to plug in the maf and I believe those 2 codes popped up. Always make sure everything is connected before assuming something that worked before the job isn't working anymore. If you can get ahold of a maf that is known to be good, test it and see if it helps. 10/10 times its almost never fuel pump and people end up replacing a good fuel pump. Besides, this problem is obviously related to the work that was done to your car. If mechanic replaced the gaskets, take it back to him. If it was a friend, then have him help you re-check everything.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 05-07-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 AM

Jerking 4th Gen

Check spark plugs, check for misfire. Clean maf, throttlebody and iacv. If you have a misfire replace the ignition coil and might as well change the plugs. I recommend NGK Iridiums there the best you can get. Make sure all hoses are secure and not giving you a vacuum leak.