4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rpm gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Bk2

Rpm gauge issues

Hey guys I'm running a 1998 Infiniti i30 auto n/a and have some rpm gauge issues. The car has an aftermarket sound system and a viper remote start system. One day when driving home from the city, the car shut off while driving. Right before, all the lights were flashing and the temp gauge was going up and down in rythm with the subwoofers music. Then smoke came out from the back of the gauge cluster. Car was off I'm in the middle of the high way. Gave it a couple moments and started it up. The rpm gauge no longer rose for idle or for any rev thereafter. I changed the alternator, the cause of the car to stall, and checked all the fuses. However the rpm gauge still won't function. I believe because of this my viper remote start system doesn't work anymore either, it won't start the car or have the alarm go off anymore. Is this cluster still usable or should I get a new one? Any advice would be great.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:35 PM

the solder points behind the cluster has probably burned as you stated smoke was coming from the gauge cluster. when these solder points are damaged or not making any connections, the gauge cluster will not work anymore. If the solder points are weak, they will start to act funny/work sometimes and then eventually die.

For the viper system im not too sure on that, But im pretty positive that the wiring is all around where the gauge cluster is and probably above the gas/brake pedals. so something has probably been damaged or loose.

So you can either have someone fix the solder points or replace the cluster. Up to you.

Last edited by JoshG; 07-01-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Bk2

Originally Posted by JoshG
the solder points behind the cluster has probably burned as you stated smoke was coming from the gauge cluster. when these solder points are damaged or not making any connections, the gauge cluster will not work anymore. If the solder points are weak, they will start to act funny/work sometimes and then eventually die.

For the viper system im not too sure on that, But im pretty positive that the wiring is all around where the gauge cluster is and probably above the gas/brake pedals. so something has probably been damaged or loose.

So you can either have someone fix the solder points or replace the cluster. Up to you.
Looked in the back don't see any damaged or burned solder points. The wires in back of the cluster don't seem to have damage either. But it will definitely be fixed with a new instrument cluster? The only reason I think it did something to the viper system is because when rpm is showing 0 idle I think the remote start doesn't allow it to start up. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-03-2016, 06:59 PM

Yes the new cluster should fix the issue.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:19 PM

What is an RPM gauge? Is it something like a tachometer?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Bk2

Originally Posted by asand1
What is an RPM gauge? Is it something like a tachometer?
Ah yes sorry for my lack of car knowledge.
Anyway I bought a whole new instrument cluster and the same thing. Rpm stays at zero. Could this be a faulty crank position sensor/ camshaft position sensor? Throwing codes p0400 -egr
p0325 -knock sensor
p0725- speed circuit
Old 10-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Bk2

Originally Posted by Bk2
Ah yes sorry for my lack of car knowledge.
Anyway I bought a whole new instrument cluster and the same thing. Rpm stays at zero. Could this be a faulty crank position sensor/ camshaft position sensor? Throwing codes p0400 -egr
p0325 -knock sensor
p0725- speed circuit

Update. I fixed the egr and deleted the code car has exhaust manifold leak.
p0325 -knock sensor
p0725- speed circuit
Still in affect.
I have changed the cam sensor and ref crank sensor. I am trying to change pos crank sensor and keep getting ones with 0.0 resistance or last one I got had over 9.17resistance @20k ohms. My current used sensor has 3.94 resistance @20k ohms. I read that it has to be between 5-6k ohms. My question is where to possibly get this sensor and will this solve the speed sensor code and my rpm issues. Please and thanks in advance
Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Bk2

Originally Posted by Bk2
Update. I fixed the egr and deleted the code car has exhaust manifold leak.
p0325 -knock sensor
p0725- speed circuit
Still in affect.
I have changed the cam sensor and ref crank sensor. I am trying to change pos crank sensor and keep getting ones with 0.0 resistance or last one I got had over 9.17resistance @20k ohms. My current used sensor has 3.94 resistance @20k ohms. I read that it has to be between 5-6k ohms. My question is where to possibly get this sensor and will this solve the speed sensor code and my rpm issues. Please and thanks in advance

Update

Pos crank sensor still not found. Viper system fully works. Car was smoking so I am doing the valve cover gaskets and knock sensor. Rpm still down. I have changed the vehicle speed sensor as well and still nothing. Is there maybe a way to check the vehicle speed sensor or wire ? Or a way to check the tcm. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bk2
Update

Pos crank sensor still not found. Viper system fully works. Car was smoking so I am doing the valve cover gaskets and knock sensor. Rpm still down. I have changed the vehicle speed sensor as well and still nothing. Is there maybe a way to check the vehicle speed sensor or wire ? Or a way to check the tcm. Any help would be appreciated.
Considering smoke was coming from the dash, and the tachometer was moving in time with your subwoofers, I would be tearing the stereo out and checking all the wiring. Seems to me the stereo is improperly connected to the engine management harness, or shorted to it. Did you install yourself or have a hack do the install?
Old 11-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Bk2

Originally Posted by asand1
Considering smoke was coming from the dash, and the tachometer was moving in time with your subwoofers, I would be tearing the stereo out and checking all the wiring. Seems to me the stereo is improperly connected to the engine management harness, or shorted to it. Did you install yourself or have a hack do the install?
I'll check out the stereo but I put it in when I just got the car at 18 at a pc Richards has been working for a good while. When I put in the viper system @ sound city auto I had an issue afterward with the cable sitting on top the battery with a fuse. And had it replaced. The radio works fine at the moment including the sub but the viper system did stop working for a while after the incident until it reset I guess from having the battery off for a long time and worked again after. I'm going crazy already