4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help please with my first big mod swap 5G engine in my 1999 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

help please with my first big mod swap 5G engine in my 1999 maxima

My fellow maxima fanatics, this is my second time posting but long time reader. I sold my 96 and got a 99 max that i've had for about 8 months now and i come to find out the engine is blown so now i'm in the market for another engine. After reading several threads i seem to be wanting to swap a 02-03 engine, if not, at least a 00-01 engine, both with AT to match. cash is not an issue but keeping my daily driver CEL free and emissions passable, along with it running w/o issues of course is my main concern.

So this is what i got going in my head as to what i wanna do; get a VQ35 engine [looking for low mileage]. Tear it down and polish the heads, rehone the cylinders, possibly drop in 350Z or G35 cams (if not just keep original cams) and balance/weigh all moving parts in the heads. Then put it back together with the 3.0 timing case and system and 3.0 upper and lower oil pans, fidanza lightweight flywheel, rebuilt 5G trans, aftermarket headers and exhaust system, with an oovi LIM & UIM, PFTB, CAI, while using the original ECU and TCU. (i even read some mods actually increase MPG).

Again, this is my DD, so i'm not trying to turn it into a qtr mile beast. i do love the idea of getting it as close to a Fairlady as i can . but please tell me if im overkilling it and modding more than i should. i'm just looking for more power while not burning major gas but something i can be proud of too.

i've read a lot of posts related to my project the best one so far is the VQ35 swap FAQs but its not necessarily an instructional how-to guide for a full swap. the rest are usually scattered how-to posts that are constantly debated about. or posts with links and/or pix that can no longer be viewed. or i'm sure there's an article or two i missed. i've also read over the list of the many big-namers who modded their 4G [with few full VQ35 swaps] but all of em seem to be building for drag mainly. Also all of them but a few at most seem to have idling problems, cold/warm start issues, CELs, or acceleration problems, to name a few. I did come across a link that shows 8 ways to successfully install an oovi and an engineering site that makes adapters for IACVs and TBs.

Now i read a lot of discussions over engine swaps, IM swaps, trans swaps, wiring, and parts mods. so much i couldnt retain eveything. I originally wanted to go super or turbo charged but decided not to simply because its more than what i'm looking for and i have no knowledge at all about install service or maintenance so i'm fine with leaving that out. anyways, from what i read there's several questions i seem to not get a clear answer or step by step to;

-tuning, im assuming it involves a VAFC, if so how do i get it tuned
-still not confident on knowing how to mod the returnless fuel rail
-aside from injector connector splicing what other rewiring do i have to do
-how do i install all coolant, engine, trans, exhaust sensors w/o ignoring them
-several modders opted to lose their EGR, vacuum hoses, IAVC and other similar parts, can i or should i toss em or keep em
-some one mentioned changing timing on the chain too.
There's other questions i can't remember right now as well.

There's other parts people mentioned about using like; piston rod bolts, main head bolts, UDPs, taking out/leaving in their rod, using an AFPR, aftermarket RPM, aftermarket valve springs, wide bands, etc. etc.

please anyone and everyone chime in with help ASAP! my classes start this month and my girl is nagging for me to do something about it. I feel i read quite a bit from all the possible mods that are available and what i'm inteersted in but of course i need an overseer since this is my first big mod. All i've done is drop in a dual-core all alum radiator w/ racing fan shroud, KYB strut systems, slotted and drilled(riveted) rotors [no BBK], bosch fuel pump, and i pulled out my old VQ30 for a complete gasket rebuild and dropped it back in. I know help is all voluntary but i'd really appreciate proper know how from seasoned veterans because i really wanna take record, pix and possibly video on it all so then i can post it back on here for future enthusiasts. thanks in advance guys

Anthony
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM
JvG

The general forum has an Advanced Performance section.

I think that you would find more of the type of information you need there.

Good luck, and best wishes with your project.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:09 PM

It would be less of a hassle if you just swap a vq30dek in than a vq35 to be honest, If i wanted a vq35 i would buy a 02-03 maxima or a g35 its not worth it to swap everything that's what i would do.

Last edited by tech2000; 08-12-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:23 PM

Daily driver???..just buy a newer maxima.
Or drop in the stock VQ of your choice. I don't see you needing all the work done you mention, may be overkill. And if you only have a month to finish, you'll never make it.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:25 PM

I would just replace an engine with lower mileage from a 4th gen, Especially if its gonna be a daily driver. this route would be alot easier and less of a hassle that being u only have one month to complete it.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
The general forum has an Advanced Performance section.

I think that you would find more of the type of information you need there.

Good luck, and best wishes with your project.

@JvG -that's where i checked already ,in the all motor section and that's where i read what i thought would help me but not really. for example, one of the posts that ceasars chariot has about the oovi swap the link and pix he posted didn't pull up at all and that was the same for several other posts i felt i could've used as a guide. i also checked in the 4th gen maxima section. but no luck
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tech2000
It would be less of a hassle if you just swap a vq30dek in than a vq35 to be honest, If i wanted a vq35 i would buy a 02-03 maxima or a g35 its not worth it to swap everything that's what i would do.
i would have to rewire for both engines to work in the 4th gen. no offense but i hate the body style of the 5th gen maximas. they look like a failed mix between a camry and monte carlo for those same years and im not much of an infiniti person unless its the M or Q series lol. i personally would like the 4th gen style with more power. also i dont mind the time i put in it cuz i love working on cars. its not so much what i can get but what i can get out of it and the 4th gens allow me to do that, also after the 4th gen nissan decided to push the egine back into the engine bay under the dang dash so that makes it super hard for some one to just lift the hood and start tinkering.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Daily driver???..just buy a newer maxima.
Or drop in the stock VQ of your choice. I don't see you needing all the work done you mention, may be overkill. And if you only have a month to finish, you'll never make it.

Good luck.

yea but i really like the 4th gens. they didn't have really anything wrong with them and the body is metal. not plastic like every car these days. i think they were awesome cars in and out. also because i know this car like the back of my hand i feel totally comfortable working on it. i could just drop in a stock but being the gearhead i am i feel the need, the need to go fast! so no i dont NEED the work done but you're telling me if you didnt have to opportunity to beef up your car (with no finance or any other worries) you wouldn't? if you're not a gearhead and answered no to yourself while reading this i understand lol. the overkill is what im wondering about too cuz i wanna beef up my car trying to find the fine line between a strong car and a strip car. i have a second car so mobility isn't a problem i just want to finish soon cuz i love my maxima and prefer that over my 05 civic, which by the way is gonna get some needed attention on my cute lil 1.7 gas saver after i'm done with mad max
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JoshG
I would just replace an engine with lower mileage from a 4th gen, Especially if its gonna be a daily driver. this route would be alot easier and less of a hassle that being u only have one month to complete it.

i cant find a 4th gen engine with low miles on it and thats if i can find an engine from someone who tests their product and not out a junkyard. heck i cant even find junkyard with then gen car in it thats not pieced out already. at the least i found a DEK with only 5000 miles on it but the reason i'm leaning towards the 3.5 is because you can get more power out of them. the piston heads are flat surfaced while the 3.0 is concave and the cylinders are bigger cuz the .5 obviously. the cams are bigger as well but we all know that. alsoo the timing sprockets work as variable adjustment for the engine, along with the variable intake. plus i have a second car but my max is my favorite and go to
Old 08-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by To the max!
hate the body style of the 5th gen maximas.
+1

For me its mainly the tail lights. The i35 corrects this issue for me though but they do not come in manual transmission so it's futile
Old 08-14-2016, 06:54 PM

Power to weight ratio plays a big role in building a car also
Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 AM

5th gens are kinda eh looking to me also, i considered getting a 5th gen, but after i drove one i thought it handled like a pig compared to my 95. here was the 5th gen in question, the guy in the middle was the sales rep for the dealer.
Name:  DSC_0047_zps14da3f8f.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  113.5 KB
Old 08-15-2016, 10:50 AM

Don't get me wrong, for the extra 65 hp It's definitely worth getting. But I personally would rather skip to a 6 gen or altima for another extra 10 hp
Old 08-15-2016, 02:57 PM

If you're going to do a hybrid swap, skip buying an oil burning 02/03 and working the heads/cams.

Buy an 07+ Alti 3.5 and use the 09 max upper intake and TB. (search my posts for more info)

I trap 104-106 and get 30 MPG highway in likely a heavier car. And its my daily.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tech2000
Power to weight ratio plays a big role in building a car also

ok but the only change would be an increase, even if it was just a stock swap cuz the 5th gen weighs more than the 4th gen and the 5th gen engines are stronger than the 4th
Old 08-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Don't get me wrong, for the extra 65 hp It's definitely worth getting. But I personally would rather skip to a 6 gen or altima for another extra 10 hp

yea but that would call for an ECU and harness replacement and from what everyone says my 4th gen ECU and harness will work with a 5th gen engine/tranny so that would save me the time and money replacing those wouldn't it
Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 PM

dek 00-01 swap it call it a day get a rpm switch or vafc to open the vias and tune with. ive done this swap on countless maximas you will be happy with the small hp increase.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
dek 00-01 swap it call it a day get a rpm switch or vafc to open the vias and tune with. ive done this swap on countless maximas you will be happy with the small hp increase.
agreed whats up luke!! how's the max?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
If you're going to do a hybrid swap, skip buying an oil burning 02/03 and working the heads/cams.

Buy an 07+ Alti 3.5 and use the 09 max upper intake and TB. (search my posts for more info)

I trap 104-106 and get 30 MPG highway in likely a heavier car. And its my daily.

am i able to use the whole 7th generation engine/tranny swap? if i was too trade out the matching ECU,TCU and engine wiring harness. do you know if everything wil match up and run smoothly?? would that be easier than modding everything to match my 4th generation maxim. also do you know if the tranny will drop right in with no problem or am i looking at changing the axles and anything else?... do youknow if it would be easier or harder to do the same with a 6th gen

Last edited by To the max!; 08-15-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
agreed whats up luke!! how's the max?
Sup man.. the maxi is doing great sold my 95 awhile back bought a 97 five or six years ago coming along nicely. Hows yours??

Old 08-16-2016, 07:09 PM

good!! i want your wheels man. fresh pic from sunday....
Name:  DSC_0300_zpsn9t9dt9q.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  294.0 KB
Old 08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by luke95gxe

i was thinking of just swapping a DEK but i dont think ill truly feel satisfied and would ultimately want more power. thats why im interested in a 3.5 swap instead.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok so i did more research these past few days and i found several sites covering the engine and it seems to all come down to replacing the upper/lower oil pan, intake manifold, sensors and exhaust, depending on the type of swap.

-here are the links i read covering the engine and wiring and trans:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...me-engine.html
https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...it-my-car.html
https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...edure-faq.html
https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...swap-info.html
- there are more links i cant find again

i cant seem to find clear evidence (but i just started searching) to find out if a CVT or a 5AT will plug and play. i know i have to replace the TCU but is there anything else that wont KISS??

also if theres anyone out there that can help me set up a successful wiring harness and TCU/ECU that'll be freaken awesome. i've looked over the FSMs and i dont understand em

also , is there any credible and trustworthy person that can get me set up with a gret set of headers that'll help a lot too. thanks guys

Last edited by To the max!; 08-18-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK so i'ts been a while and and after all the reading i came to the conclusion that i'm just gonna get the 5th gen. i just bought an 01 DEk for $1000. i know it's pricey but the engine had under 4k miles on it. and i couldn't find any low mileage engine near that for that much of a difference. sooo no i'm in the middle of reading all i can for a successful swap. the problem is most the links mentioned/posted are malware sites and most pics are no longer visible too.

@Luke95gxe, i'm now looking into that VAFC set up.

if theres anyone that can chime in with pics, vids or any clear directions that'd be a lot of help. thanks everybody