4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suggestions on wiring foglights(car is not prewired)

Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 PM

Suggestions on wiring foglights(car is not prewired)

Ok so ive searched for hours and cant find exactly what im looking for
I want to wire foglights to my 99 gxe and have only the relay wired (possibly stalk connector aswell but not worried about this since i dont plan on using)
What im looking to do is wire the foglights to a toggle switch inside the car that only turns on when key is turned to accessory, with the least amount of mutilation to my car as possible.
Ive never ran wires for lights and dont know much about fuse requirements and such so detailed instructions of where to run wires, what to use, what to ground to etc. would really be appreciated.

I already know im going to get flamed for this post after seeing millions of other posts about this. But with those other posts i couldnt find my desired resolution in one thread. Everywhere i read only applied to prewired vehicles
And anytime someone mentioned not being prewired the thread just seemed to end.
So please a little guidance would be great. And if there is a thread that has the exact answer im looking for already...shoot me .. But post the link first please
Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Administrator

That's because I believe all Maximas are pre-wired for fog lights. All that is needed is a relay, fog lights, fog light brackets, and to replace the stalk in the car.

Have you carefully looked into the opening where the fog light would mount? I bet you'll find the wiring secured to a bracket nearby.

Why re-invent the wheel when the wheel has already been invented for you?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
That's because I believe all Maximas are pre-wired for fog lights. All that is needed is a relay, fog lights, fog light brackets, and to replace the stalk in the car.

Have you carefully looked into the opening where the fog light would mount? I bet you'll find the wiring secured to a bracket nearby.

Why re-invent the wheel when the wheel has already been invented for you?
Alright ive looked im not an idiot if it was where leople have described i wouldve found it ....i havent looked under the splash guard because people have said it is taped back ont the same harness as the side markers ...pics of fog light holes:

And the only plug i found that matched anything anyone said is a connector behind the driver headlight

Connector behind driver headlight (has orange/black ,black wires that someone mentioned in another post) but doesnt seem like it would be long enough to reach fogs and there is no identical plug in same general area on passenger side

No connector to be found on passenger side<br/>I saw brown plug coming from washer tank but thats it

A little more than " all maxes are prewired" would help greatly

I have a 99 gxe with no options ..
No power seat as i understand from other thread and max manuals that maxima gxes without the power seat or comort and security package do not come pre wired for foglights

So if anyone can prove me wrong or give me instructions to my original question that would awesome
Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I'm still convinced you have the wiring, but I digress.

Here's how I would wire the fog lights. Scroll down to the second diagram.

http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Every 4th gen ive ever worked on (and thats alot) was pre wired for fog lights sometimes the wires are folded up and taped to the bumper lights wiring pull the bumper lights out and follow the wiring harness
Old 08-16-2016, 03:17 PM

I'm still convinced you have the wiring, but I digress.

Here's how I would wire the fog lights. Scroll down to the second diagram.

http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm
I would really like to be wrong in this situationim still looking at this very moment and going crazy .
I know you know your sh@% i wouldnt challenge your answer if i hadnt spent , what i feel is too much time, looking in every specific spot ive seen mentioned.

But i appreciate the wiring link thank you

(Still hoping i find the wires already there)
Old 08-16-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
Every 4th gen ive ever worked on (and thats alot) was pre wired for fog lights sometimes the wires are folded up and taped to the bumper lights wiring pull the bumper lights out and follow the wiring harness
Any specific spot i should look ..i know behind the bumperlights but where ....any pics of exactly what it looks like, or where it stems of the bumperlight harness.

Have you by anychane ran into a maxima that had the wires in a bizzare or out of the usual place
Old 08-17-2016, 01:31 AM

There attached to the blinker lights on the bumper tied onto the sam harness right around where it splits for the 2 bulbs per side. My gxe does have fogs n other accessories but all wiring is there if i want to add things.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by loudmaxi
There attached to the blinker lights on the bumper tied onto the sam harness right around where it splits for the 2 bulbs per side. My gxe does have fogs n other accessories but all wiring is there if i want to add things.
correction. Mine doesnt have fogs. But wiring is where i stated.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by loudmaxi
correction. Mine doesnt have fogs. But wiring is where i stated.
Yea, its definetley not there thanks though guys
Old 08-17-2016, 05:34 AM

Just follow that wire all the way back.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Administrator

I have an off the wall theory that maybe since 99 was kind of a transition year going into the 5th gens, maybe just maybe, the harnesses were changed to not include foglights if that particular car didn't call for it?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:00 PM

I have an off the wall theory that maybe since 99 was kind of a transition year going into the 5th gens, maybe just maybe, the harnesses were changed to not include foglights if that particular car didn't call for it?
Thats my luck lol.. Im just going to wire it up no biggie thanks for the link
Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Yea id agree with the wizard.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 PM

Only way to be 100% percent sure is to, remove the steering wheel cover and see if the (pre-wired) plug for the stalk is there. It should be right around the stalk. You might have to remove the stalk to get a clear view of everything. It should be a little white plug wrapped with blue translucent tape. That plug will control the fogs. Or better yet, lift up the relay box on the far passenger side. Where it says fog lights see if you have the four little insert slots to add the relay. That will take you .5 seconds. If that is there your definitely pre wired for fogs.

Last edited by lux97Max; 08-17-2016 at 07:57 PM.