4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oem keyless entry swap has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 PM

Oem keyless entry swap has me stumped

Alright so my goal was to take the keyless entry system from a 99 se
And put it into my 99 gxe (no added packages)

My problem is i put everything in ( i think its everything i needed) and the car still wont go into programming mode. i know i did the procedure correctly about 100 different times. And the hazards still wont flash telling me im in program mode. I tried on a friends 00 and it worked fist try.

This is what i have so far
-BCM keyless(box above ecu)
-receiver module(in trunk near jack)
-gray antenna( gray cord plugged into receiver with other end plugged into window antenna behind passenger
c-pillar)
-trunk relay(brown relay plugged into socket in trunk near latch)

Note: i can lock and unlock all doors using the key in the driver and passenger door.

Am i missing something ?
Im 99.9% sure the bcm is keyless because
1. I called the dealer with the vin and he confirmed the car came with keyless entry
2. Maxima_joe told me that in his experience BCMs that ARE keyless have a number that end in "0" (which the one i just put in does)
And BCMs that are NOT keyless have a number that ends in "3" (which my original one does)

So where is my problem someone please shed some light ive read forums for hours today trying to find the solution.

Things i dont have that im starting to think might be a problem.
1. Antitheft fuse under hood on drivers side ( the slot only seems to have one contact on one side and bare plastic on the other)
2. My car has the manual lever for the trunk release not the push button on the door( havent looked to see if there is a harness for the button behind the door yet as i didnt think it was necessary) that being said i obviously dont have the trunk release solenoid in the trunk either

Sorry for the lengthy read and thanks in advance for the help
Old 09-20-2016, 10:22 PM

It seems like you have all the pieces, so I don't know why it doesn't work.

Here is a thread where another guy added the remote system to his car. Maybe you can find something in there that will help.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ess-entry.html
Old 09-21-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It seems like you have all the pieces, so I don't know why it doesn't work.

Here is a thread where another guy added the remote system to his car. Maybe you can find something in there that will help.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ess-entry.html
Thank you dennis but ive read that thread up and down Amerikaner83's thread is what i have been mainly working off of as well as a dozen others ... I cant understand why its not working either. Anyone else have any insight . ( im not looking to put an aftermarket in so thats not the answer im looking for )
Old 09-21-2016, 11:33 AM

It is my understanding that the only thing you need in order to get into programming mode is the correct BCM. The other parts don't come into play just yet.

I looked up wire harness part numbers because I know there are different ones for the Bose vs standard radio, but no notes about remote entry.

So all I can do is wonder if you have the correct BCM and if it is good. The part number for the body control module is 28491-0L720. See if you can find that number on the unit you got, it may not even be on there though. You may find other numbers that are like the plastic case numbers, but the first part (28491) indicates the complete assembly.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 PM

It is my understanding that the only thing you need iwoder to get into programming mode is the correct BCM. The other parts don't come into play just yet.

I looked up wire harness part numbers because I know there are different ones for the Bose vs standard radio, but no notes about remote entry.

So all I can do is wonder if you have the correct BCM and if it is good. The part number for the body control module is 28491-0L720. See if you can find that number on the unit you got, it may not even be on there though. You may find other numbers that are like the plastic case numbers, but the first part (28491) indicates the complete assembly.
Thats what i thought aswell im not even concerned about anything besides the BCM at the moment

The BCM that i just put in is from a bose (but like you mentioned you didnt find any difference in the harness)
My only thought is the BCM may not be fully functional(but its kind of odd that the only function not working is the keyless)

Edit: pictures wont upload for some reason

Last edited by DrewFree; 09-21-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:49 PM

This is the "keyless" BCM from a 99 se with bose ( currently in car)

This is the "nonkeyless" BCM from my 99 gxe without bose ( not currently in car)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 PM

The parts book does not list the 28491-4L700 BCM as being for keyless entry. I don't think you have the correct BCM.
Attached Thumbnails Oem keyless entry swap has me stumped-99max-bcm-list.jpg  

Last edited by DennisMik; 07-01-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: photobucket wants money to display photos
Old 09-22-2016, 05:00 AM

The parts book does not list the 28491-4L700 BCM as being for keyless entry. I don't think you have to correct BCM.

Well it seems youve cracked the code sir ... Lets see if maxima_joe has a fit for me...
Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Well that wasnt it ... It was confirmed that the 28491-4L700 is keyless....just not mine or in my car. Im starting to think since my gxe is probably the lowest possible base model, that alot of wiring is missing. Giving up for now unless someone comes up with a breakthrough

Thank you everyone . the Orgs help is always appreciated
Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 PM

Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM

I have to say that I don't know what is the problem. Looking at the underhood photos, I see that your car does not have the anti-theft system either. I don't know if this plays into the situation or not. I don't think it does, but...

I'll put some more thought into this and if I can find something, I'll let you know.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:44 PM

I have to say that I don't know what is the problem. Looking at the underhood photos, I see that your car does not have the anti-theft system either. I don't know if this plays into the situation or not. I don't think it does, but...

I'll put some more thought into this and if I can find something, I'll let you know.
Yes no antitheft only one contact in the fuse slot and other side is bare plastic.... Maxima_joe is thinking its not going into program mode because the security system is not arming ..but i dont believe i have it just the blinking security light....any information is appreciated thank you
Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM

BUMP!
Still havent had any luck getting the keyless to work ..called multiple dealerships hoping they could shed some light , but no luck. Just bumping this because im still searching for answers.(seems like a lost cause . but i dont like giving up once i started)

Off topic:
One thing i did come across is my maxima shows up as a
" california sedan" i know it has more strict emissons system but is there any other downfalls...
Am i going to have trouble taking an aftermarket exhaust off my fed spec maxima and putting it on my cali spec maxima?(cattman headers , cattman ypipe)
Any other downfalls?

Last edited by DrewFree; 10-13-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:00 AM

FWIW Make sure all your sensors are working

System has to know everything is closed
Trunk, doors, hood

My car came with OEM keyless and wouldn't enter programming mode because my drivers door switch didn't work correctly
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
FWIW Make sure all your sensors are working

System has to know everything is closed
Trunk, doors, hood

My car came with OEM keyless and wouldn't enter programming mode because my drivers door switch didn't work correctly
I dont have a hood sensor .. I dont believe i have a trunk sensor( its manual trunk with the pull lever not the electric push button actuator)
But i just did the ivms test and it flashed code 55 ...suggesting no response from data line a1 which would be from bcm to lcu05( reciever module in trunk near jack).the car i pulled the lcu05 had the electric trunk pop, and one of the wires from the harness to the lcu05(reciever module in trunk) runs from the module to the harness that would power the trunk actuator (which i dont have installed)
So whats the possibility that i have to complete this circuit by: installing the trunk actuator , and by checking my driver door for the harness that would connect to the electric trunk pop switch, and plugging the switch in?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM

You know what?..I don't know

I'm not even sure what the trunk sensor is other than a light on in the trunk
No hood sensor?
Hmmm..
I'm lost