4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 manual transmission leak, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:45 PM

98 manual transmission leak, any ideas?

My 98 maxima's 5 speed is leaking from the seal where the shifter enters the transmission. It has been changed three times, and it is starting to leak again. The first a burr was found on the shaft, my mech smoothed it out and put in a new seal. It started to leak again, and he had found a small tear in the new seal so he replaced it. It started leaking again, so I brought it to a transmission guy. He said he found a tear in the seal, so he replaced it again and used tephlon tape. It held for 2 weeks and started to leak again. He said that Nissan no longer makes that area of the tranny case so in order to replace it, he would have to find a used core that hopefully didn't leak. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the leak or would it be worth the time to put a 02 6 speed into my baby. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Wolcottmax1
My 98 maxima's 5 speed is leaking from the seal where the shifter enters the transmission. It has been changed three times, and it is starting to leak again. The first a burr was found on the shaft, my mech smoothed it out and put in a new seal. It started to leak again, and he had found a small tear in the new seal so he replaced it. It started leaking again, so I brought it to a transmission guy. He said he found a tear in the seal, so he replaced it again and used tephlon tape. It held for 2 weeks and started to leak again. He said that Nissan no longer makes that area of the tranny case so in order to replace it, he would have to find a used core that hopefully didn't leak. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the leak or would it be worth the time to put a 02 6 speed into my baby. Thanks for your suggestions.
Something is causing the seal to tear.

My guess is that the burr in the shaft is still there, causing the tear.
If I'm correct, the cure might involve removing what is left of the burr.