4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No Start, No Crank - Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:49 PM

No Start, No Crank - Problem Solved

So I just wanted to say thank goodness for these boards and the Max community posting issues and possible fixes to those issues.
For about a week my 95 Max was starting funny, sluggish when the key is turned. Long story short, last night it started to turn over and then stopped and never started again. You would hear maybe a light click, but a strange buzzing sound every turn of the key. You would have to be literally under the hood to hear the buzzing, not in the cockpit.

Anyway, after searching on here I decided to goto Pepboys and buy a brand new starter. Paid $99 after a 30% discount for ordering it online (their Website). Popped it in but still no dice... uughhh DAMN...

Checked on here and read about the inhibitor, and starter relay. Finally found the Inhib relay, popped it out and back in... no dice.

Then I found a thread that spoke about the ignition switch. Had no freakin clue how to start it with a screwdriver, lol. So I googled it and found the following video (posted below) that shows how to replace it basically.

So with that I popped it out and she started right up.
Inspected the whole mechanism and put her back in. It turned out whoever installed the new switch never really tightened that back screw that is a PITA to get back in. In any case, I did this and goodness, between the new starter and the removal and insert of the ignition switch she starts like she is new. LOVE IT. BTW, even though I prolly didn't need a new starter (maybe) I am keeping it, the old one was just gross, rust everywhere, rubber boots cracked and exposing the wires.

So again thanks for this great community for these cars. It helped greatly. Hopefully someone will maybe find this all useful.

Useful Post:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-thread.html
Video for Ignition Switch:
Old 09-28-2016, 04:15 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by pewterss
So I just wanted to say thank goodness for these boards and the Max community posting issues and possible fixes to those issues.
For about a week my 95 Max was starting funny, sluggish when the key is turned. Long story short, last night it started to turn over and then stopped and never started again. You would hear maybe a light click, but a strange buzzing sound every turn of the key. You would have to be literally under the hood to hear the buzzing, not in the cockpit.

Anyway, after searching on here I decided to goto Pepboys and buy a brand new starter. Paid $99 after a 30% discount for ordering it online (their Website). Popped it in but still no dice... uughhh DAMN...

Checked on here and read about the inhibitor, and starter relay. Finally found the Inhib relay, popped it out and back in... no dice.

Then I found a thread that spoke about the ignition switch. Had no freakin clue how to start it with a screwdriver, lol. So I googled it and found the following video (posted below) that shows how to replace it basically.

So with that I popped it out and she started right up.
Inspected the whole mechanism and put her back in. It turned out whoever installed the new switch never really tightened that back screw that is a PITA to get back in. In any case, I did this and goodness, between the new starter and the removal and insert of the ignition switch she starts like she is new. LOVE IT. BTW, even though I prolly didn't need a new starter (maybe) I am keeping it, the old one was just gross, rust everywhere, rubber boots cracked and exposing the wires.

So again thanks for this great community for these cars. It helped greatly. Hopefully someone will maybe find this all useful.

Useful Post:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-thread.html
Video for Ignition Switch:
1995-1999 Nissan Maxima: Ignition switch replacement - YouTube
Glad that you solved your problem.

In the dyi world, it's ok to buy new parts we don't need, if the end result costs less than a mechanic. And you gave new parts.

For those reading this post in the future..... the ignition switch likes to go out more often than the starter.

The cost is 30 bucks or so. Not hard to install.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Glad that you solved your problem.

In the dyi world, it's ok to buy new parts we don't need, if the end result costs less than a mechanic. And you gave new parts.

For those reading this post in the future..... the ignition switch likes to go out more often than the starter.

The cost is 30 bucks or so. Not hard to install.
Yeah the part is def cheap, $31 at PepBoys, and if you buy it online you get 30% off. How can you argue with that.

Mechanic wanted like $300 to diagnose and install the starter, I paid a total of 180 for everything including the Tow.