4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changed valve cover gasket..Now car idle is dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Changed valve cover gasket..Now car idle is dying

Changed the rear valve gasket. When I went to start the car it idles rough now, the wheel is shaky,and it bounces until it dies out. What can be causing this ? Could I need an oil change ?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Got Retrofit?

Most likely a vacuum leak.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Most likely a vacuum leak.
Yep ... you either pulled a vac hose you forgot about or you dis-lodged one inadvertently.

Been there, done that.

Check carefully the brass vacuum manifold assembly mounted down near the FPR.

Several potential culprits there.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by jayfoxx357
Changed the rear valve gasket. When I went to start the car it idles rough now, the wheel is shaky,and it bounces until it dies out. What can be causing this ? Could I need an oil change ?
I've pulled the plenum at least 6 times. On the fourth time I got the dreaded map/baro switch code. Checked it and all was good. This went on for 2 weeks and many checks. There are many ways to take the uim off. I've got it down to about 20 minutes if I get on it. To keep a long story short, in the end I took off the Filter and snorkel, then looked closely at what was going on. Some how, some way when taking off either the iacv and Throttle body (thats how I do it) I inadvertently knocked off a vacuum hose.

I'm still perplexed on how that happened, but I hooked it up and problem solved. Car ran ok most of the time, but when it warmed up, I would get bucking around 1500 rpm's. I had to put it in overdrive to raise the rpm's to keep it from dying.

Are you getting any codes? Sometimes it takes awhile to show up, mine did. I would clear it and about 3 days later, BAM! map/barro code.

I agree with the other poster's, Turbobink is on it, it's what happened to me and I assure you it happened to you. So remove the air filter, snorkel and if you did it my way, take off the tb, that's how I found mine. PIA, but you don't have any other option.

Pardon me for one thing, why in the world would you think an oil change would fix your problem?

I and most shade tree guys live or should live by this rule: If it ran right before you messed with it, and it doesn't now after repairs, 99% of the time, you did something wrong or you forgot to put it back together right, with the latter being 85% of the time. So in closing, look again, then look one more time, lather rinse repeat until you find it, and you will. Then you will be relived, laugh, then slap yourself in the head. When you fix it you will have a story to tell, then pass that knowledge onto the next rube, like you, like me, like 100% of the people here.

If you haven't screwed up or missed something fixing cars, your not challenging yourself.

Good luck my friend and make SURE you post what fixed the car, so others know what worked, thats a problem here.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:23 PM

In my case, the EGR tube gasket fell out of place and caused a vacuum leak. I got some floss and tied the gasket on the tube. No problems since
Old 10-16-2016, 06:58 AM

So I fixed it guys..my egr gasket fell like maximaxi said..Now I just have a ticking noise and a burning smell which is why I suggested the oil icemule
Old 10-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Ticking noise went away with the Oil change..burning smell gone
Old 10-17-2016, 04:21 AM

Glad to see everything is working good. Congratulations!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rim Size

Im my opinion any one who hates on another mans choice for what they do to their car, is honestly not a real CAR GUY..... I would never put 20s on a full size car, cause i want 24s but for all you old guys on here with these strong opinion have you noticed that their are now some full size cars comming with 22s factory. So what your saying is you will take those off and put 20s?
Most of the people that dont like anything bigger than 20 are either lowering the car or old, and i get it. Cause they said Rap music would never make it but a report just came out on the world news that rap is the most listened to music now........
So bigger rims are on the way no matter what you say or think. Move foward or get left behind!!!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:26 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by kedron1977
Im my opinion any one who hates on another mans choice for what they do to their car, is honestly not a real CAR GUY..... I would never put 20s on a full size car, cause i want 24s but for all you old guys on here with these strong opinion have you noticed that their are now some full size cars comming with 22s factory. So what your saying is you will take those off and put 20s?
Most of the people that dont like anything bigger than 20 are either lowering the car or old, and i get it. Cause they said Rap music would never make it but a report just came out on the world news that rap is the most listened to music now........
So bigger rims are on the way no matter what you say or think. Move foward or get left behind!!!
????????? !!!!#!! ????????

This discussion was about a vacuum leak, yet this rant out of nowhere is about huge rims and tires?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
????????? !!!!#!! ????????

This discussion was about a vacuum leak, yet this rant out of nowhere is about huge rims and tires?
Sometimes vacuum leaks bring out all kinds of feelings