4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Purchasing a ’96 Maxima 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Purchasing a ’96 Maxima 5 speed

So I am about to buy a 5 speed 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE in green with cloth tan cloth interior. Has just a tick over 130,000 miles. 2 owner, clean carfax. Great shape.

Only issues is the clutch makes a noise, but grabs just fine. There is rot on the lower portion of the front right fender (easy replacement) and the rad support is probably 50% or more on its way out. Also a small hole in the pass side floor pan where he jacked the car up in the wrong spot. Some small scratches but nothing that wont buff out. There was some oil on the lower side of the car, so there may be a leak somewhere and 4 mismatched tires. Oh and the rear interior was taken out but all parts are available. Other than that, looks great and very clean. The prior owner is young and I know that he raced it around a little (hence the removed interior).

Over the past few months he replaced the cam sensor, both crank sensors, installed brand new full Megan racing headers and exhaust w/ 4” muffler, DNA Struts with Tien loweing springs, new brakes and pads, plugs, coils, alternator, starter, pulley and drive belts, interior LEDs and fuel filter. Also came with a bunch of parts, including clutch slave and master cylinder, fluids, and a Haynes Repair Manual.

If I buy it, I may pull the exhaust and sell it for what can possibly be a really good deal. Its way too loud for my current tastes and its second car for me. The only CEL's are for the emissions and no inspection in NJ due to age but has a sticker until 2018

He wants a quick sale and is willing to take under $1,500. Should I pull the trigger? Would I be crazy not to?
Attached Thumbnails -img_0493.jpg   -img_0488.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 01:31 PM
JvG

I will offer my opinion.

You would be crazy to buy this car.

It has been run hard, abused, and raced.

The only way this makes sense is if you plan to do the same.

If you want a reliable car, buy one which has been loved, and taken care of. A good car, even with 200k miles would be far less trouble.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I will offer my opinion.

You would be crazy to buy this car.

It has been run hard, abused, and raced.

The only way this makes sense is if you plan to do the same.

If you want a reliable car, buy one which has been loved, and taken care of. A good car, even with 200k miles would be far less trouble.
Thank you for the input. I did take into account the risk which is why I went back and forth for a couple of weeks. I am okay with a project. I offered him a lower amount and he accepted it. He had the car for only 5 to 6 months and put like 9k miles but decided he wanted a 350z. I used to beat on my cars and just as long as I maintained them, they lasted a long time. The car had nearly 3k put into it since April in parts (about $1200 of that from the exhaust). I checked it out for a good two hours and it looked good. Motor was quiet as can be, no smoke, just a small oil leak below the trans area.. and most looked to be residual. He said it doesn't burn oil and it was full when I checked it and was due for a change. I'm sure it will need some work. Worst case I think I am looking at a clutch kit.

The seller was so **** that during my test drive I went to get gas and he said no since it wasn't Exxon 93... and I thought I had OCD.

For what I am willing to pay, after I sell the exhaust, if its in bad shape, I'll sell it and end up in positive territory
Attached Thumbnails -49832150602__118cb7a8-7bf6-4f1f-8c12-a326d6b9cbb5.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad. The body is in good shape.. i don't see any big dents anywhere. Considering the parts he put in and only had it for 9k miles, sure he may of had driven it hard but 9k miles isn't that much to be honest.. There is alot of great things he put, such as those lowering springs/exhausts, brake pads etc. I think $1200 is a steal for taking this car. Its not like hes saying to buy it for $3k. Just fix the clutch and maybe the oil is leaking from the valve covers.

Last edited by JoshG; 10-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM

For a 5-speed, around here, IF you can find one, will sell for $700 more than an automatic.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the comments. I have the title in hand now. Just need to wait for him to drop the car off to me later since I couldn't drive both cars back. Lets just say I paid less than $1200

I've been looking for a clean 4th gen 5 speed for years and this one mostly fit the bill. Overall I am happy with my purchase.

This will be my 3rd Nissan / Infiniti product. I am also looking at the 2017 Max as my main car for the spring. Its top 3 on my list. Only issue is that CVT