4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I block off this fuel filler breather tube?

Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Can I block off this fuel filler breather tube?

Yesterday started out with a loud grinding noise coming from the rear driver side wheel and a very intense smell of gasoline that came up at the same time. I pulled the wheel off and found that the brake dust shield had rusted off and was hanging onto the rim which is what causing the grinding noise. That problem was solved as I just removed it and now do not have a dust shield which I don't care for at the moment. After removing it I found wet gas on the plastic fuel filler neck guards. after removing I found that the (breather?) pipe that connects to the neck of the fuel filler neck has rusted off and disconnected which is what is causing the gas smell and is pictured here:

Name:  EDzOaQ4m.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  VcmOVYPm.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  22.6 KB

My question is that Although I see that this is replaceable, can I bide my time by blocking off the end of the tube and also filling up the hole until I can find time to go to a junkyard and find a replacement? Will this cause any issues? I feel like it will be better to block both rather than leave it open like that.

Search this Thread