4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Start of a coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:46 PM

Start of a coolant leak

My alternator took a s*** 2 days ago so today i went out to the car to double check all the grounding straps and came of cross a few drips of coolant around the engine ground cable

Small drop

Couldnt get a better picture but there is some coolant on the cable terminal and some around what im guessing is another radiator hose below the one you see on top

The hoses arent in the best shape nor the worst. But is this just a hose swap and im good or is there something else that could be dripping

Sorry for the poor post. I had i mich better post going but my phone decided to close it out and frustrate me so i made this one short and sweet
Old 11-24-2016, 06:41 PM
JvG

While I know this car quite well, I can't place what part of the car I'm looking at.

Hoses should be replaced when possible. Better now than when it decides to go out unexpectedly. It is 20ish years old, after all.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:29 PM

hey jvg, what hose that carries anti-freeze is near the alternator? i had my alty done a few weeks back and they said they had to top off the ant-feeze? azzholes charged me for it too.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Do you know how they removed your alternator? Either wiggling out from bottom or top? Its possible if they removed it from top side that they damaged some of the radiator fins. I have made this mistake first hand so i know its possible. Any how hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Just looking at the hose clamp and condition of the hose around it in the 2nd picture, I think you are in for some new hoses sooner than later.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Do you know how they removed your alternator? Either wiggling out from bottom or top? Its possible if they removed it from top side that they damaged some of the radiator fins. I have made this mistake first hand so i know its possible. Any how hope this helps.
This is on the right side by the battery and upper radiator hoses ..car has been worked in yet so crap alternator is still in there.
Today im going to pull the alternator and swap it with one from my other maxima and plan on replacing hoses while i do it. Thank you

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Just looking at the hose clamp and condition of the hose around it in the 2nd picture, I think you are in for some new hoses sooner than later.
Having trouble finding exact names of the hoses any chance you have a diagram or could name them by location ....im guessing
Upper and lower radiator hoses
There is a small elbow hose underneath the upper radiator hose
And i can only assume the hoses towards the firewall are the heater hoses
Old 11-26-2016, 07:00 AM

There is upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose, and the elbow heater hose that connects to the pipe that runs across the front of the engine.

Upper Radiator Hose - I put a couple of zip ties around the shield to keep it from moving around.

Name:  01_Upper_Radiator_Hose_zpsbgp5ri2n.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  454.6 KB

Lower Radiator Hose - I use zip ties to hold the shield in place on this hose also.

Name:  02_Lower_Radiator_Hose_zpsdbxlx4ga.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  337.5 KB

Elbow Heater Hose

Name:  03_Heater_Elbow_zps7arngmo3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  158.1 KB

I think I used Gates hoses on the latest hose replacement. Sometimes I use Dayco hoses also.

For the elbow hose, since it is a common 3/4 in ID heater hose, I pick up an elbow heater hose for $13 at the parts store and cut the ends so it is the same size as the original. It could be an elbow hose for a Ford for all I know. It works.

Radiator hoses are on page LC-15 in the following link.

http://www.boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1999/LC.pdf

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-26-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:33 AM

There is upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose, and the elbow heater hose that connects to the pipe that runs across the front of the engine.

Upper Radiator Hose - I put a couple of zip ties around the shield to keep it from moving around.

Lower Radiator Hose - I use zip ties to hold the shield in place on this hose also.

Elbow Heater Hose

I think I used Gates hoses on the latest hose replacement. Sometimes I use Dayco hoses also.

For the elbow hose, since it is a common 3/4 in ID heater hose, I pick up an elbow heater hose for $13 at the parts store and cut the ends so it is the same size as the original. It could be an elbow hose for a Ford for all I know. It works.

Radiator hoses are on page LC-15 in the following link.

http://www.boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1999/LC.pdf
Thank you sir ...gonna see how much they bang me for now
Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 AM

Would you recommend the duralast
Thermostat with housing from autozone? Figure i might as well change while im in there
Old 11-26-2016, 02:48 PM

I only recommend OEM thermostats. I picked up one with the housing for about $38 a few weeks ago. I only use OEM radiator caps also.