4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this TDC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Is this TDC?

Just for my peace of mind, Google Image search came up with nothing. I'm changing out the timing chain. I imagine the yellow is 0° and the 2 white ones are 10 and 15°, does that sound right?
Name:  1129161709.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  311.3 KB
Old 11-29-2016, 10:52 PM

I ignored the timing indicator, took the harmonic balancer right off and proceeded to remove everything. I put it on TDC by lining up the cam marks to the dowels in the heads. My colored chain links on the old chain did not line up with any of the TDC marks on the cams or crank.

I installed new chain with all of the colored links lining up to the marks on cams and crank. I did have to move left cam counter-clockwise ever so slightly to get the main guide back on, but this did not change the amount of teeth between cams. I installed from left cam, draped over right cam, then around the crank snout, then routed around waterpump/guides, and finally pulled the guide area taught to get the guide in. Worked like a charm.

Is your car in time or will you need to reset TDC?

Last edited by pixelporsche; 11-29-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:31 AM

Yea, but it's nicer to know the crank is at 0° when I set the camshafts to 0°. Last thing I want to do is deal with interference as I turn things to their correct position.

I don't think the timing is off, per-se, but I know the chain is either stretched, the tensioner isn't working, or the guides are ****ed. The car runs and drives well, but at low RPMs, you can hear the chain rattle around and the car often stutters and stalls. I originally thought it was an ignition issue, but I slowly came to the conclusion that the chain is the culprit. I bought a whole new chain and guide kit.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by pixelporsche
I ignored the timing indicator, took the harmonic balancer right off and proceeded to remove everything. I put it on TDC by lining up the cam marks to the dowels in the heads. My colored chain links on the old chain did not line up with any of the TDC marks on the cams or crank.

I installed new chain with all of the colored links lining up to the marks on cams and crank. I did have to move left cam counter-clockwise ever so slightly to get the main guide back on, but this did not change the amount of teeth between cams. I installed from left cam, draped over right cam, then around the crank snout, then routed around waterpump/guides, and finally pulled the guide area taught to get the guide in. Worked like a charm.

Is your car in time or will you need to reset TDC?
That's some good advice.

Like Pixelporsche once I removed the timing cover, then I turned the crankshaft to get everything lined up at TDC according to the dowel positions and colored chain links. Most likely you will find the rear cam chain colored link positions do not match the position in the manual.

Here's what I found when I opened mine.

Name:  Timing_Marks_zps497d41ad.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  81.7 KB

Here's a thread on removing the timing cover.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...moval-tip.html

::

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:50 AM

That is a _stellar_ annotated picture.