4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Poor radio reception with aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Poor radio reception with aftermarket HU

I've heard of similar issues before but am having a hard time finding the specifics for 4th. I replaced the HU a year or two ago and needed to use an antenna adapter that I got down at the local car audio place. It was clear the radio reception was immediately worse but it didn't bother me much since I usually listen to my own music. My antenna just recently snapped and i'm thinking about replacing it but only if I get a decent signal back. I don't remember the wiring specifics but I think I did it correctly as the antenna motor would go on and off with the headunit. I'm if there is something I forgot to do or maybe I used the wrong type of adapter? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:35 PM

I would like to know if this was an issue as well. My aftermarket HU doesn't seem to pull in FM or AM stations well at all.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Administrator

From the factory, your Maxima came with two antennas. One built in the back window along with the defogger lines, and the motorized one in the rear fender.

When you go aftermarket, you lose the antenna in the rear window.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Rit

Or, you can buy a simple adapter that will combine both antenna signals into you aftermarket HU, such as this device sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Nissa.../dp/B00009UHJ9
Old 12-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rit
Or, you can buy a simple adapter that will combine both antenna signals into you aftermarket HU, such as this device sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Nissa.../dp/B00009UHJ9
Just make sure you read the 4 and 5 star reviews which discuss how it's wired incorrectly and that you have to flip the connection with the clip. Or try it with the clip in the right spot, and if your radio reception got worse, you know you need to flip it.