4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AirBag Light After AirBag Deployment

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 03:22 AM

AirBag Light After AirBag Deployment

Can you simply use the reset method (Door Switch 7 Second Reset Method) to clear the hard code off of the airbag module after being involved in a collision? I'm just wondering before I go ahead and try to install my new set of airbags in.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by jdreid13
Can you simply use the reset method (Door Switch 7 Second Reset Method) to clear the hard code off of the airbag module after being involved in a collision? I'm just wondering before I go ahead and try to install my new set of airbags in.
The code will not reset until the deployed bag has been replaced. Most often, you will need to replace the SRS control unit that is under the center console. I had to replace my control unit after an air bag deployment to clear the code.

Always disconnect the battery when working with the SRS.

Here's a thread about my air bag deployment and replacement.

Did you have a seat bag deployment or just steering and dash?

Did the seat belts deploy the explosive charge? Do the seat belts retract like they did before the accident?

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-question.html

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-10-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Administrator

^
Old 12-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Thanks man! Appreciate the info!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
The code will not reset until the deployed bag has been replaced. Most often, you will need to replace the SRS control unit that is under the center console. I had to replace my control unit after an air bag deployment to clear the code.

Always disconnect the battery when working with the SRS.

Here's a thread about my air bag deployment and replacement.

Did you have a seat bag deployment or just steering and dash?

Did the seat belts deploy the explosive charge? Do the seat belts retract like they did before the accident?

No, just my steering wheel airbag and my dash deployed. I own a 95 Maxima. Would it be safe to reinstall a new set of airbags before replacing the airbag sensor unit? Because I just don't want them to deploy since it already has an error code on my current airbag sensor.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:16 PM

No, just my steering wheel airbag and my dash deployed. I own a 95 Maxima. Would it be safe to reinstall a new set of airbags before replacing the airbag sensor unit? Because I just don't want them to deploy since it already has an error code on my current airbag sensor.
I did that in a round about way. I didn't realize that I needed to replace the SRSCU until after I replaced the bags and couldn't get the code to clear and the light to go out.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I did that in a round about way. I didn't realize that I needed to replace the SRSCU until after I replaced the bags and couldn't get the code to clear and the light to go out.
Can you use an OBD2 to remove an airbag error code? Or is a possibility it can appear again, and be worthless?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:07 AM

Can you use an OBD2 to remove an airbag error code? Or is a possibility it can appear again, and be worthless?
Nope. 4th gens have very basic ODB2 functionality. It takes NDS1 software that uses the 14 pin Nissan Consult port to reset air bag codes. The Consult port is located behind the fuse panel box.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-12-2016 at 01:11 AM.