4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:51 AM

Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison

Does anyone know what might be the cause to my rear passenger doors being out of alignment from my front doors? Has anyone experienced this problem before? I'll post images of it below.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison-img1.jpg   Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison-img2.jpg   Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison-img3.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM
JvG

We need larger, better photos.

We also need more information.

was the impact directly in front, or was it more to one side.

go fast were you going, what does the front end look like.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
We need larger, better photos.

We also need more information.

was the impact directly in front, or was it more to one side.

go fast were you going, what does the front end look like.
The impact was directly in the front of the vehicle. So far I have replaced the radiator support frame. I would same my speed at the time was around 10-15mph. Here are some photos of what the front end looked like after the accident.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison-img4.jpg   Rear Passenger Door Spacing After Front End Collison-img5.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Rit

Your whole unibody frame got torqued from the accident. Most shops would label your car as totaled.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 PM
JvG

Still need better photos .

If this was someone else's car, could you tell what is wrong with the doors by looking only at those photos?

Bet you couldn't. We can't either.

I agree with rit.

If your doors are messed up from that accident, the body deformed around where your doors are.

If that is the case, your car is good only for parts.

Plenty of other maximas out there cheap.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The only way your rear doors could be out of alignment is if the hinges are damaged, or if your car's unibody crumpled from the impact. Since it would be one hell of a coincidence that the hinges failed, its safe to say your car is pretty much totaled.

Maybe it drives ok now, idk. But if that is indeed the case, its pretty much a death trap if you were in another accident. The structural integrity is compromised, you probably shouldnt be driving it. Just part it out and find a new car man. Sorry.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:39 PM
JvG

in an a bad accident, the rear of the car is still in motion slightly after the front has totally stopped.

the momentum and the mass of the rear body will make metal bend. this will deform the metal around the door.