4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

steering rack ?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:06 PM

steering rack ?

want to know if anyone has replaced the steering rack bushings. It looks like 2 bolts per clamp. Is it a straight forward job is anything in the way.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Yes, replace them. You will need a swivel socket. It's In and out job. Be sure the bushings are seated properly on the split side, and square in the hold downs. Ide also remove the heat shields also. There in the way. Best done from underneath. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:46 PM

I recently picked up a set of Richochet Polyurethane Kevlar bushings from eBay for $26. They cost more than MOOG, so they better be good. I haven't had time to install them yet to know how poly rack bushings feel on a Maxima. I also have a set of MOOG K9900 that I bought before I found the poly bushings. The MOOG bushings are softer so I may not use them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Nissan-...-/112089834156

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Infinit...-/112223901225
Old 12-28-2016, 06:40 AM

Do we have any members running without the heat shield and a Warpspeed or other brand of Y-pipe? Just thinking about my next mod to add a Y-pipe and to simplify stuff in that area...
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Running with no heat shields and y-Pipes

I have been running a full stainless system from headers back for over 8 years now and I love it. I first started with SS chrome headers and y-pipe but that lasted only 4 years before the flex pipe gave out due to rust and use. I then switched over to the OBX system from the Y-Pipes back all the way thru. Great system but the welds on the brackets tend to pop off after a few years so I have had to have them re-welded. Other than that its better than replacement parts that are not Stainless. I live here in NY so the sand, salt, and moisture kills the pipes. Also great sound better power and I keep the silencer in the tip because I have been pulled over and ticketed twice for the loud sound. When its BS but whatever we need to give tickets for Harley's lol just saying..
Old 12-28-2016, 08:01 AM

Would the rubber or the polyurethane bushings be more resistant to ATF and oil?

Search this Thread