4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WS-Y Pipe, MF High-flow Cat, P0420, Weapon-R question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:26 PM

WS-Y Pipe, MF High-flow Cat, P0420, Weapon-R question.

Does anybody have a Warpspeed Y-Pipe, Magnaflow (MF) High-flow cat, and that nagging P0420 code?

Over the past year, the P0420 code seems to return about once a month.
I'm growing very tired of resetting it. I'm afraid of wearing out the OBDII plug from all of the resets. Ha!

So tonight I received a new Weapon-R. It may be a couple of weeks before I get to install it. The weather is really crummy right now.

The Weapon-R instructions say it will not work if a cat is still in the exhaust system with the vehicle. I don't think I have much of a cat or I wouldn't be receiving the P0420.

Has anybody with my combination of WS-Y + MF HFC & P0420 found a solution with the Weapon-R?

Here's a picture of the Weapon-R.

Name:  01_Weapon_R_zpsbnbliggt.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  369.8 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-16-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Does anybody have a Warpspeed Y-Pipe, Magnaflow (MF) High-flow cat, and that nagging P0420 code?

Over the past year, the P0420 code seems to return about once a month.
I'm growing very tired of resetting it. I'm afraid of wearing out the OBDII plug from all of the resets. Ha!

So tonight I received a new Weapon-R. It may be a couple of weeks before I get to install it. The weather is really crummy right now.

The Weapon-R instructions say it will not work if a cat is still in the exhaust system with the vehicle. I don't think I have much of a cat or I wouldn't be receiving the P0420.

Has anybody with my combination of WS-Y + MF HFC & P0420 found a solution with the Weapon-R?

Here's a picture of the Weapon-R.

Not a 4th gen in my case but I used an elbow exactly like that in my 02 Maxima for a secondary o2 sensor when I installed my headers. So far no codes after almost 2k miles. Good luck keeping that code away.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:04 AM

I had the same problem with that high flow magnaflow CAT. The O2 spacer only kept the P0420 from appearing as often.

Read these threads I posted in regarding that setup.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ing-p0420.html

Post 153

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ll-pics-4.html
Old 12-17-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
I had the same problem with that high flow magnaflow CAT. The O2 spacer only kept the P0420 from appearing as often.

Read these threads I posted in regarding that setup.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ing-p0420.html

Post 153

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ll-pics-4.html
Thanks JH. I remember those threads about the generic cat. I actually have two OEM cats available to put on this one. One is in better condition than the other. I will need to pull the one in better condition from the donor car.

Did you need to remove the S-pipe to install the Weapon-R elbow when you tried it?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Thanks JH. I remember those threads about the generic cat. I actually have two OEM cats available to put on this one. One is in better condition than the other. I will need to pull the one in better condition from the donor car.

Did you need to remove the S-pipe to install the Weapon-R elbow when you tried it?
I didn't have to drop the extended b-pipe to install that elbow. With an extended BOSAL B-pipe I no longer have that intermediate pipe.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM

The OEM CAT lasted 6 more years after reinstalling it for that defective HFC made for Buicks.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:40 AM

The OEM CAT lasted 6 more years after reinstalling it for that defective HFC made for Buicks.
Good to know JH. Thank you.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-17-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 AM

How long have you had the Magnaflow cat? All cats are required by law to have a 2-year/25k warranty (in California, it's 5yr/50k)

I've had good experience with Walker and Eastern cats.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
How long have you had the Magnaflow cat? All cats are required by law to have a 2-year/25k warranty (in California, it's 5yr/50k)

I've had good experience with Walker and Eastern cats.
As stated in the thread I attached they won't warranty a CAT installed on our A32s because it's made for a Buick.

........The high-flow magnaflow CAT that WS distributes is not made for a Nissan but for a Buick. Magnaflow will not cover the warranty because their CAT was installed on a wrong vehicle. WS will not give RMAs because they don't want to get targeted for distributing CATs to wrong vehicles.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 AM

I've had it about 3 years. The last year has seen a lot of P0420s.

My youngest son called and said he has fixed this issue on his Civic (with headers and deleted cats) and on a friend's catless Ranger/Danger pickup with a 5.0 V8. They put together some combination of a spark plug extender and another part that sounded like the Weapon-R elbow to trick the rear O2 into thinking everything is ok. He'll be back from school next week. I'll get him to figure it out. Max III was his car before he took over the Civic.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM

I had the same Problem! po420 kept popping up, new cat, y pipe. Emission parts new. Only way i resolved it was by putting in 95 ecu, code never came back.