4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Water Cooling the Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 PM

Water Cooling the Intake Manifold

So I recently watched a video by Mighty Car Mods where they made a water spaying system to spray onto the intercooler on a boosted car. I was wondering if anyone else thinks this could be done on a N/A engine. Instead of misting the water onto the intercooler, it would mist the water onto the intake manifold. Would this cause the manifold to crack? Could this damage the engine? I don't see how it could without an excess of water. My thought is that this would cool down the manifold and have a similar effect to the intake manifold spacers. Would there be any theoretical power gains? I just want some other opinions.

Mighty Car Mods video:
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM

By keeping the intake manifold cool, the theory is that the air/fuel mixture would be cooler and denser, creating more power. But I don't know if misting the intake manifold would really cool it down all that much.

As far as the water causing the intake manifold to crack - no. When you drive in the rain, the intake manifold gets soaked, along with everything else under the hood.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM

I'll plan on setting up a small system to test it out within the next month.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:19 PM

I don't see it being functional at all. More ideal way to cool the manifold is replacing the stock one with a thinner walled/lightweight aluminum header and a hood scoop right over it.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:52 AM

They were saying that a lot of cars with turbo come standard with a system similar to this. What they are doing is taking aftermarket turbo systems and installing their own cooling system. It sounds viable. He also said that on his car, he made a system similar to this using the rear window washer pump as the impetus instead of using a hand pumped pressure bottle. On a normal day, the temperature of the manifold would drop 10 to 15 degrees when activated.

I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Although the Japanese fellow at the beginning of the show had his done way overkill... It looked like he was using a 3/4" garden hose and garden spray nozzle head as his sprayer... a bit much, I am thinking.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Compressing air creates heat. These coolers are an attempt just to get the air charge back close to ambient. On a NA engine it would be negligible.