4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Removing Clips to access 14mm Starter Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Help Removing Clips to access 14mm Starter Bolt

Hello,

I just scooped up a '98 GXE 5-speed a few weeks ago. I'm cleaning up the front end (CV axles, tie rods, stabilizer links) and have swapped fluids.

Anyways, I have noticed a grinding noise on start-up. It lasts about a second after the engine has started, and some forum searching suggests that the starter needs regreasing. I watched a youtube video by boredmder on replacing the starter and got to work. I'm having two problems:

1- accessing the 14mm bolt
There are metal clips holding an electrical connector in the way. How do I get these metal clips out of the way? boredmder apparently did an auto to 5speed swap and got rid of those clips, so that part of the process isn't in the video. There isn't enough space to get a socket in there.

2- removing the electrical connector
Is there a quick way to remove the connector? I think it's the (-) one. The (+) came off with a 12mm wrench.

Thanks,
uFluidics
Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 PM

Those clips or bar just push up or use a small extension with 3/8 deep socket 14mm to get to it. The nut on starter is sometimes a 12mm or 13mm just pull the rubber boot back far enough it wont break.

Last edited by lux97Max; 01-04-2017 at 07:20 PM.