4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Metal burs on cam lobes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Metal burs on cam lobes

I was doing a valve cover gasket job and I noticed these burs on the edges of my cam lobes. It seems to be only on the exhaust valves for cylinder 4
Is it normal wear for a engine with 237k on the clock? Or maybe did it run low on oil at some point in its life.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 PM

I have some extra cams in the workshop that checked tonight. I see a couple of burrs on one of the intake cams.

Mine looks like some type of imperfection or rough spots in the casting that were not smoothed out when the cams were manufactured.

Outside of that I'm sure there are some guys who post in the "All Motor" section who know the cams backwards and forwards. These cams came from an engine with roughly 165,000 miles.

Name:  Cam_Burrs_zpsolk6yalo.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  432.8 KB
Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 AM

Just casting flash flash. Normal
Old 01-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What kind of oil and filter are you using?
After reading bob is the oil guy articles on oil filtration, I develop a greater respect for OEM. For example, the oil bypas valve, Even after a fresh oil change, it is always working.

BWfore that I was under the impression that the oil bypass valve would be completely inoperable until the oil filter was completely clogged. NOPE.

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Zampetti
I was doing a valve cover gasket job and I noticed these burs on the edges of my cam lobes. It seems to be only on the exhaust valves for cylinder 4
Is it normal wear for a engine with 237k on the clock? Or maybe did it run low on oil at some point in its life.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Just casting flash flash. Normal
I agree.

A few years ago one of my other car clubs arranged a day long VIP tour of Honda Manufacturing in Lincoln, AL. That type of tour allowed us to enter the engine manufacturing part of the plant that is typically a forbidden area from regular plant tours. No cameras or cell phones were allowed. I remember signing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) that I was not affiliated with any car or parts company. The club has some retired Honda engineers and executives with friends still at the company that help setup the trips to different plant locations around the U.S.. I remember there was a tour through the Marysville OH 4-cylinder plant that I missed as it filled up after I had joined back in 2008.

The engines were all cast from raw materials, ground, polished and assembled within one area of the plant by robots. I enjoyed learning about the aluminum sand casting process and how the parts were machined and polished into finished engine parts. I can see how the burs come from the normal casting process.

I think it would be cool to visit the Nissan plant in Decherd TN to watch them build new VQ engines. I don't know if we have any retired Nissan engineers or executives that could setup a trip for us though. With Nissan building engines for Mercedes these days, I'm sure it would take someone inside Nissan to arrange an engine plant tour.