4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No start after dead Battery and sitting for 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM

No start after dead Battery and sitting for 6 months

Here's my issue, I got another suv and decided to park my I30. When I parked the car it ran fine and everything. Fast forward to today when I tried to put a new battery in it and nothing. The lights on the dash come on but no cranking. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking when I try to start it. Also the door lights are not lighting up either. Im lost at what it could be?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Rit

Sounds like the store that you bought your battery from either had it on the shelf for a long time and it discharged, or it was never fully charged in the 1st place. Either put it on a battery charger overnight, or bring it back to the store and have it tested. I doubt if it is a car issue.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM

I thought that too, so I tested the battery and its good. I tried the battery out of my Jeep too and still the same thing
Old 01-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Two items to check.

If you have an automatic transmission, it may be the neutral safety switch. Try shifting to neutral to start. If that works then the switch is bad or in need of adjustment. You could also try moving the shifter around in the Park position to see if that will help.

Also, check out the inhibitor relay located in relay box #2. This is what supplies power to the starter solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to start position.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Rit

Originally Posted by 96vqi30de
I thought that too, so I tested the battery and its good. I tried the battery out of my Jeep too and still the same thing
If the battery did not start the Jeep also, then the battery IS bad. How did you test it ? Did you test it under load, or just measure the voltage with no load. The 2nd method tells you nothing - as you have proven. Get a new battery, or get this one charged.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Rit

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Two items to check.

If you have an automatic transmission, it may be the neutral safety switch. Try shifting to neutral to start. If that works then the switch is bad or in need of adjustment. You could also try moving the shifter around in the Park position to see if that will help.

Also, check out the inhibitor relay located in relay box #2. This is what supplies power to the starter solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to start position.
His starter solenoid is clicking, so it is not the neutral safety switch or the inhibitor relay because if either of those were bad, then the solenoid would would not be getting any power.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 AM

do headlights come on?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Rit

Originally Posted by edwardh1
do headlights come on?
Headlights can come on with a battery with a bad cell, but a battery with a bad cell will likely not be strong enough to start a car. It doesn't take much to light up headlights.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Back in post# 3 the op said that he tried using the battery from his Jeep and the car didn't start. So I don't think the battery is the problem.

I'm thinking it is the starter. Possibly the starter motor brushes are hung up in their guides. Remove the air filter housing so you can access the starter and tap the end with a hammer. Hopefully this will free the brushes and allow the starter to crank the engine.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Rit

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Back in post# 3 the op said that he tried using the battery from his Jeep and the car didn't start. So I don't think the battery is the problem.

I'm thinking it is the starter. Possibly the starter motor brushes are hung up in their guides. Remove the air filter housing so you can access the starter and tap the end with a hammer. Hopefully this will free the brushes and allow the starter to crank the engine.
My Bad ! I appologize. I read it as he tried the new battery in the Jeep...

So, Plan B - how about a bad/dirty battery cable either + or - terminal.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM

I am going to clean all the grounds and try hitting the starter a few times. Both battery's are good. Tried with the gearshift in neutral and still the same. The headlights will come on if I turn them on?. Its freezing here in Pa so towards the end of the week I will be cleaning the terminals and grounds and seeing about the starter
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM

Also try to swap Anti thief relay with windshield wiper relay, relay box is located on passenger side in the engine bay.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 AM

I'm with DennisMik on this one. Sitting for 6 months is enough time for moisture to build on the starter and other parts.
Check the cables for corrosion. Also check the wires on the starter for corrosion and/or breakage. Have someone turn the key over quickly while you feel or listen to the starter. If it clicks or you feel a quick knock and nothing else afterwards, pull the starter and clean it up. It may be seized.

6 months means it went summer, fall and winter without moving. Depending on where you live, this may mean changes of humidity, temperature and climate factors that could be mild to extreme. Moisture and dirt/grit will kill an entire engine in less time than this.

But I am betting it is something as simple as a seized starter from moisture and rust.