4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Snowmobile Report - VLSD Test

Old 01-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Snowmobile Report - VLSD Test

Last night we got our first snow for the year. So early this morning before the Dodge Chargers and various types of 1/2 ton 4x2 pickups hit the streets for the usual spin parade, I took the 98 model out for little drive.

Driving the VSLD model is definitely different on snow/ice covered roads. My old Q45 has VLSD so I kind of knew what to expect. Albeit this time from the front instead of rear.

Here's a picture of one of the hills that I climbed with the 98 model below.

You can see the S-tracks I made going up the hill as the VLSD likes to fishtail at the front when it looses traction. I've experienced that same positive traction fishtailing action with the Q45 on ice. With both wheels are slipping, they like to move around instead of holding a straight line like non-VLSD models. It's not a bad thing, just a very different feel.

The tires are Mastercraft A/S at 3/4 life that came with the 98 model when I bought it. I'll keep them rolling till the 17 Juke wheels get some new Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 later in the year.

Name:  fe98786f-be28-4a67-a108-1319b9447bbe_zpsq8dzlkoy.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  856.2 KB

To get an idea of the slope, here a picture of the car going down on the other side.

Name:  03_Going_Down_2nd_Hill_zpsbldwyrlr.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  411.8 KB

Here's another picture driving down the lower ridge that runs up to the turn and final grade in the first picture.

You can see the S-tracks on the opposite side from my drive up the slope.

Name:  04_Going_Down_1st_Hill_zpsjcr2gsmp.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  606.4 KB

After I returned home, I took out the 99 model SE with non-VLSD and a 5-speed.
The 99 model is running Continental Extreme Contact DWS A/S tires that are at 1/2 life. The 99 SE car always does ok on snow and ice. Due to it being so predictable, and using 2nd gear for occasional starts, I think I prefer driving it on snow and ice over the automatic with VLSD. I just feel like I have more control when I'm driving it.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-06-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 PM

When I first got my 5MT VLSD i30 10 years ago.. couldn't believe how well it did in the snow. It would slip both wheels but mange to get up every hill in the snow. I was literally passing cars left from getting stuck or slipping off the road. I also came home to a mound of snow, hood height, in an airport parking lot and I just rocked the car and monstertrucked through it.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 PM

my 95 is always better on snow and ice than most cars/suvs and i have an auto with non-vlsd and yokohama avid envigors. got stuck on a driveway last year cause it was steep and with 1 tire spinning i could'nt get a good enough running start. of course there was ice underneath snow so only my friends all wheel drive benz made it up the driveway.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
my 95 is always better on snow and ice than most cars/suvs and i have an auto with non-vlsd and yokohama avid envigors. got stuck on a driveway last year cause it was steep and with 1 tire spinning i could'nt get a good enough running start. of course there was ice underneath snow so only my friends all wheel drive benz made it up the driveway.
The 99 I30 with ABS was the all around favorite for a long haul interstate drive on ice. I've taken that just about everywhere on bad roads.

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
When I first got my 5MT VLSD i30 10 years ago.. couldn't believe how well it did in the snow. It would slip both wheels but mange to get up every hill in the snow. I was literally passing cars left from getting stuck or slipping off the road. I also came home to a mound of snow, hood height, in an airport parking lot and I just rocked the car and monstertrucked through it.
I could sure get into a 5MT with VLSD. That would be the best setup for more than one reason..

95na, I like your wheel choices in see in your sig line. Very cool indeed.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:53 PM

My 99 SE has Traction Control and Pirelli P7s. It does OK in snow because of the tires. But just OK. When I bought it new and the Goodyears wore out, I bought Bridgestone all season tires that channeled rain out and stuck like glue. Dry too. But snow, like banana peels. By then I really hated this Maxima. My car before it was an 88 Maxima and LSD was standard. It climbed up snow covered hills faster than Audis with cheap Sprint tires. Ski country was never a problem.

I don't know if LSD and traction control is/was even an option. But if it was, it would help. Along with real snow tires.

When I had my transmission rebuilt and it cost $3400 on the 99, I was sorry I didn't find a used LSD and have that rebuilt. Everything was toasted in mine, couldn't have costed more. (4 1/2 years ago)

And finally I read a review from a discerning Maxima guy with a high level of mechanical skills to find out he's not too impressed. OUCH!

The world has gone sideways! LOL

Your rebuilds are beyond impressive! I haz jealousy!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
My 99 SE has Traction Control and Pirelli P7s. It does OK in snow because of the tires. But just OK. When I bought it new and the Goodyears wore out, I bought Bridgestone all season tires that channeled rain out and stuck like glue. Dry too. But snow, like banana peels. By then I really hated this Maxima. My car before it was an 88 Maxima and LSD was standard. It climbed up snow covered hills faster than Audis with cheap Sprint tires. Ski country was never a problem.

I don't know if LSD and traction control is/was even an option. But if it was, it would help. Along with real snow tires.

When I had my transmission rebuilt and it cost $3400 on the 99, I was sorry I didn't find a used LSD and have that rebuilt. Everything was toasted in mine, couldn't have costed more. (4 1/2 years ago)

And finally I read a review from a discerning Maxima guy with a high level of mechanical skills to find out he's not too impressed. OUCH!

The world has gone sideways! LOL

Your rebuilds are beyond impressive! I haz jealousy!
Just wait till you see the suspension upgrade Phase II thread and with Phase III for handling and appearance. I've become quite obsessed with this 98 model. Its getting a lot of priority right now.

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-21-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:01 AM

no snow here in pa, winters taking a break

Search this Thread