4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Things to do while timing case is open

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Things to do while timing case is open

While attempting to change the o-rings on my water pump I dropped the piston for the chain tensioner in the timing case(I know I hate me too). I got the spring out with a magnet but I'm not sure if I can get the piston. Since I'm probably going to have to take the front timing case off is there anything I should do while I'm in there? Chain, guides, tensioner? I did a bit of looking but couldn't find much about it.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 AM

How many miles?

Did you notice any rattling noises from the timing cover area on cold startup in the past few months?

What type of time frame for putting it back into service?

Was the water pump installed when the tensioner came loose?

Do you think it jumped timing when the tensioner was loosened?

Was the engine position at Top Dead Center before you started? If you have the valve covers off, it makes it easier to find TDC to verify your work afterward and in the event it jumped timing when the tensioner was removed.

A number of members have replaced guides and the outer tensioner on TC cover removal. A few have replaced replaced chains, sprockets, and cam chain tensioners.

It's like peeling an onion. It depends on the amount of money, time, and pain that you're willing to go through to get to the end. You may only need to get into one of the outer layers for what you need to accomplish.

Take a look at the following thread for timing cover removal tips.

Note: We have some members who have been able to "walk on" the timing cover without removing the upper oil pan. There is a post in the thread about it.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...moval-tip.html

::

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-09-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
How many miles?

Did you notice any rattling noises from the timing cover area on cold startup in the past few months?

What type of time frame for putting it back into service?

Was the water pump installed when the tensioner came loose?

Do you think it jumped timing when the tensioner was loosened?

Was the engine position at Top Dead Center before you started? If you have the valve covers off, it makes it easier to find TDC to verify your work afterward and in the event it jumped timing when the tensioner was removed.

A number of members have replaced guides and the outer tensioner on TC cover removal. A few have replaced replaced chains, sprockets, and cam chain tensioners.

It's like peeling an onion. It depends on the amount of money, time, and pain that you're willing to go through to get to the end. You may only need to get into one of the outer layers for what you need to accomplish.

Take a look at the following thread for timing cover removal tips.

Note: We have some members who have been able to "walk on" the timing cover without removing the upper oil pan. There is a post in the thread about it.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...moval-tip.html

::
It gave me no issues before beside dripping coolant constantly. I'd like to have it back as soon as possible but I can manage a few days just to try and make good out of a bad situation. The water pump was installed when the tensioner popped loose, I don't believe it skipped at all. After it did I turned the crank 25 degrees counter clock wise to put the slack on the water pump so I could get it out. It was not at TDC
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM

It is probably sitting at bottom of oil pan, drop the oil pan. When I did mine, I dropped one water pump bolt in there and it went all the way down the the oil pan, I have to dropped oil pan to find and retrieve the bolt.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
It is probably sitting at bottom of oil pan, drop the oil pan. When I did mine, I dropped one water pump bolt in there and it went all the way down the the oil pan, I have to dropped oil pan to find and retrieve the bolt.
^^ Thinking the same thing.

Reference the picture below to see route it may have taken on the way down and places to hang on.

If not in the oil plan, then maybe use a flex tip mechanics magnet to try to fish it out through the tensioner access opening.

Name:  Timing_Marks_zps497d41ad.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  81.7 KB
Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
I thought so too. I would have swore i heard it hit, no luck there. I did get the spring out with a magnet though. I'm gonna get a flexible and thinner one today
Old 01-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Got it out with the magnet. I feel like I pulled some of the slack from the water pump side back to the tensioner side, will that be an issue?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Update, got it all back together. Fired it up and it ran smoother than i had anticipated. I did have CEl on and it was p1320. I cleared it and it did not come back after a minute or so of idling and revs. A quick look shows that code is caused by using incorrect coils?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Zampetti
Update, got it all back together. Fired it up and it ran smoother than i had anticipated. I did have CEl on and it was p1320. I cleared it and it did not come back after a minute or so of idling and revs. A quick look shows that code is caused by using incorrect coils?
We need to call you the "Lucky Man" from now on. You did it.

What brand of coils are you running?

Here's a video that may help with P1320.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
We need to call you the "Lucky Man" from now on. You did it.

What brand of coils are you running?

Here's a video that may help with P1320.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpFzunNeAaY
I'm gonna have to look into it. I got the car at 225k and I didn't get any of the service history. I'm assuming some have been replaced at least
Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Update. The coils seem to all be Nissan parts. I found a large oil leak coming from above the oil pressure sensor, I looked and it wasn't from either of the access covers I had to remove. I can't tell exactly where from though. Also, this was all for not... I still have the coolant leak I sought to fix here. Very upsetting. Just now it gave me some trouble starting. I moved it to work on it and when I went to start it again it wouldnt. It did that for a little while and I went ahead and replaced some old power steering lines and the lower radiator hose. Took it for a test drive after and it ran just like before. Shut it off then it started right up again. Strange...