4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose didn't lose presets after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM

Bose didn't lose presets after battery disconnect

Hi Folks:

I wasn't going to be driving my stock 95 SE with the Bose system for a few weeks so I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery. To my surprise when I reconnected the battery, the Bose presets were still intact. I seem to recall the presets being lost when I've done this in the past. Do the Bose units have capacitors or the like that maintain the presets for a few weeks?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 PM

Never heard of that. Very interesting. Was the clock still correct?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 PM

The radio memory wire is +12v. It doesn't require much power to store the memory. If you left the positive battery cable connected, and thus the memory wire connected, it seems this small amount of power was able to complete a circuit through the rest of the car somewhere.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Hi all:

DennisMik, the clock needed to be reset.

Komik... I did leave the Positive cable connected as I have read that to stop parasitic drain on a battery while not in use, simply disconnect the negative terminal. How would a circuit be completed through the rest of car somehow if the negative terminal was disconnected? Did it draw on charged capacitors or something?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Hmm after disconnecting and removing the battery to get to the main body ground, cleaning other grounds of course which took about an 45 mins , clock and radio were both reset.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 PM

The reason I asked about the clock is that it is kind of similiar to the radio in that is has a power wire going to it that is to keep the time when the car is turned off. This is similar to the radio station presets. Both the clock time save and the radio station save circuits are powered by the same fuse.

It doesn't matter which battery cable you disconnect because there would be no complete path for current to flow. If there was a path for current flow, the clock should not have needed to be reset.

Is there a sound system with its own battery or big capacitors in the car? This might account for a secondary circuit but the clock time should have been saved too.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:40 PM

No other batteries or other items DennisMik. One thing I forgot to mention is that the Bose did come on in AM mode instead of FM which I always leave it on so I immediately expected to have to reset the FM stations. I reset one station I like and when I went to do the others, they were still there! I may have to try this again.