4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Camshaft sprocket photos, thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Camshaft sprocket photos, thickness?

I am contemplating replacing the inner timing cover o-rings, and I want to avoid removing the valve covers, intake manifold and other stuff up on top.
I want to remove the bolts on the big sprockets for the intake camshafts (the ones spun by the main chain) by securing them together or to the inner timing cover using the round holes on the sprockets.
Do you think the sprockets are beefy enough for this? How about the notch portion?
Please post some photos of them or some thickness if you have them on hand.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 AM

You really should just remove the valve covers and intake manifold, then secure the camshafts with a wrench. I don't know how sturdy the sprockets are and you might mess something up by doing it your proposed way.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
You really should just remove the valve covers and intake manifold, then secure the camshafts with a wrench. I don't know how sturdy the sprockets are and you might mess something up by doing it your proposed way.
+1

There is a procedure for removing the camshaft sprockets that starts on page EM-26 in the following FSM page. I've only used this approach when removing camshafts.

Note: I'm guessing about your year model since it is not listed on your profile. This procedure should be the same though.

http://www.boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1998/EM.pdf
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. The method described in the manual involves holding a camshaft lobe with a wrench, right?
My Maxima is a 97.

Last edited by marianm; 01-16-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 AM

No! the lobes are the precious fingers that press the lifters and we don't want those to be damaged! There are places on the camshafts to hold with a wrench. They look like nuts (lol) but they're embedded into the camshafts. you'll see.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Thanks, not damaging the lobes was one of the reasons for wanting to undo the bolt while holding the sprockets.
Last night I realized one of the "nuts" you refer to is actually visible through the oil fill hole.

I'm still considering not taking the valve covers off thought. It seems like quite a few cars need a tool like this: https://www.amazon.com/Schley-Produc...ct_top?ie=UTF8