4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Upgrading the Suspension, Few ??s

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Upgrading the Suspension, Few ??s

I've decide to go with KYB AGX shocks, and B&G springs. Even after reading through lots of other threads I still have a few questions.

Should I replace the dust boots? They are pretty worn. Also, where's the best place to get them?

I'm replacing both my of the upper strut bearings while I have the suspension off. The thing I'm confused about is the bump stops. Do I need to cut these, since I'm going with a lower spring?

Any other ideas or hints on the install would also be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think you will probably need to cut the stops for those springs, but Tom would be the best to ask about that heh heh.

Yes, replace the bearings and the dust covers!!! Also get new bump-stops (the round black rubber things).
Old 07-08-2002, 09:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Did somebody call me? Hi Erica!

I'm on AGX's and B&G's. Great spring/strut combo!

Change your dust boots!!!! Get Nissan OEM boots, the dust boots from KYB DO NOT fit correctly into our strut mounts. You have to use zip ties to secure them - just not pretty.

Change your sturt bearings too, there only 20 bucks a piece.

I did not cut my bump stops. Here's my theory on that. If you cut your bump stops your eliminating a safty factor in your suspension. If you hit a big enough bump and cause excessive compression of the spring/strut you hit the bump stop which avoids damaging the strut. If you remove the bump stop you add the risk of compressing the spring/strut to the point where the strut itself may bottom out risking failure. The bump stops are there to protect your struts from being fully compressed to the point where damage can result. Keep them the correct size. My car rides great and I don't think I've ever had my bump stops hit yet and I do get into NYC now and then. I just take it easy. The B&G springs are tight and on bad roads you can feel this. Se the AGX's to 1 & 2 or 1 & 3 and you get a really nice smooth ride on the highway. Crank them up with this combo and you get a slot car!!
Old 07-08-2002, 09:14 AM

Re: Upgrading the Suspension, Few ??s

Originally posted by breaux124
I've decide to go with KYB AGX shocks, and B&G springs. Even after reading through lots of other threads I still have a few questions.

Should I replace the dust boots? They are pretty worn. Also, where's the best place to get them?

I'm replacing both my of the upper strut bearings while I have the suspension off. The thing I'm confused about is the bump stops. Do I need to cut these, since I'm going with a lower spring?

Any other ideas or hints on the install would also be appreciated.
Try Courtesy Nissan (800-527-1909) they have some dicount if you mention maxima.org. Also you should consider getting the Energy Suspension Swaybar Endlink bushings while you're at it. Good luck, I'm going to AGX/H&R this weekend hopefully, with the help of Tom.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2002, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I've read most of your posts and that's why I'm going with this combo. I'm also going to make the thicker gaskets to use with the struts/springs.

So am I missing anything?
Springs - B&G
Struts - AGX
Strut Bearings - 2
OEM Dust Boots - 4
Gasket Material
And after a little while a wheel alignment.

I know shox.com has the B&Gs for a good price. Where's the best price for the AGX struts?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:48 AM

I've read most of your posts and that's why I'm going with this combo. I'm also going to make the thicker gaskets to use with the struts/springs.

Springs - B&G
Struts - AGX
Strut Bearings - 2
OEM Dust Boots - 4
Gasket Material

I know shox.com has the B&Gs for a good price. Where's the best price for the AGX struts?
Shox.com may be your best place to get everything. You'll save on shipping if you go that route. Tell them about the .org and see if you can haggle on price. I think I paid 360 for mine, those guys will work with you, especially if you get everything from them.

Who's doing your install? I've got a few tips for ya if you'd like.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:57 AM

Who's doing your install? I've got a few tips for ya if you'd like.
My friends and I are doing the install. I do all my own work. I've done the Y-pipe install a few times, and lots of other things on the maxima and other cars. But this is the first time I'm messing with springs on any car.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm ordering the struts and springs this week, and most likely do the install the weekend that I receive everything.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:03 AM

Springs - B&G
Struts - AGX
Strut Bearings - 2
OEM Dust Boots - 4
Gasket Material

Youg gonna replace your OEM Spring Isolation sleeves? If you have a lot of mileage on them you prboably should.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2002, 11:32 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Change your dust boots!!!! Get Nissan OEM boots, the dust boots from KYB DO NOT fit correctly into our strut mounts. You have to use zip ties to secure them - just not pretty.

Change your sturt bearings too, there only 20 bucks a piece.

I did not cut my bump stops. Here's my theory on that. If you cut your bump stops your eliminating a safty factor in your suspension.
Those bumpstops were created for the oem suspension. Aftermarket springs are shorter so you would need to compensate for that on the bumpstop.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:46 AM

Do you have a 5 speed or automatic? If auto, you'll be fine with the B+G's, but if youre 5 speed, you'll probably get a slightly sagging rear end (I did). Its not totally noticeable, but I can tell the back is lower.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:17 PM

I've read a few spring/strut installs and they all mention to cut a part of the bump stop. So how much to cut with the B&G springs.

And I'm an auto
Old 07-08-2002, 01:36 PM

I've read a few spring/strut installs and they all mention to cut a part of the bump stop. So how much to cut with the B&G springs.

And I'm an auto
Don't cut them, your fine. The B&G's are plenty stiff and you don't come in contact with them.

I disagree with NickStam - The bump stop has nothing to do with the spring. It's there to protect the strut, not the spring.

The chances of fully compressing the strut to the point of damaging it is much higher when the suspension travel is lower then originally designed. I see no point in cutting or removing the bump stops. If your springs are that low that your hitting the bump stops, then your car is to low.

Just my view on suspension travel - do as you like.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:09 PM

Well got a quote from Shox.com:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Special Prices on products for your 89-00 Nissan Maxima.org
2000 Maxima

Tokico $310.00
B&G springs $175.00
H+R $239.00
Eibach $199.00
--------------
95-99 Maxima

Koni $529.20
Tokico $310.00
KYB AGX $380.00
Eibach $199.00
B&G springs $157.00
H+R $219.00
Addco rear bar $119.00
----------------------
89-94 Maxima

Koni $520.80
Tokico $294.00
Eibach $199.00
B&G springs $157.00
Addco rear bar $119.00
S/T sway bar set $219.00
------------------------
To order, just call, fax, or click here:

https://shox.caldiasecure.com

We look forward to hearing from you!!!!

SALES DEPARTMENT,
R.D. Enterprises
1300 Hill Street
EL Cajon, California 92020 USA

800-683-2890
619-444-9768
Fax 619-444-8261
www.shox.com

----------------------------

Plus $37 for shipping (B&G springs and all four AGX)
Old 07-09-2002, 08:45 AM

I was reading through some other threads and people mention some bushings needed for the rear. What do I need to get for the rear? Doesn't it come with everything needed for install?
Old 07-09-2002, 10:15 AM

I was reading through some other threads and people mention some bushings needed for the rear. What do I need to get for the rear? Doesn't it come with everything needed for install?
Bushings for the rear? You shouldn't need anything for the rears. Just the dust boots if there shot.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:38 AM

I respect Tom's opinion very much, but the KYB dust boots do fit and already have a bump stop cut specifically for the AGXs
They do zip tie at the bottom, but it's a tight seal and I've had no problem with debris or water. Regardless of which dust boots you buy get them; mine were shot after only ~40k.
The bushing for the rear is a rubber isolation bushing, but I don't have the part # handy. It's cheap and gets deformed when you tighten the bolts down in the rear. You'll love the B+G/AGX.
I have them as well
-hype
Old 07-09-2002, 12:02 PM

ehmmm.......OEM is good. TOM RULES.
And all I have to say is...I can't say it ...
Old 07-09-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Lime
ehmmm.......OEM is good. TOM RULES.
And all I have to say is...I can't say it ...
ROFLMAO!!

Hype is right, they do work. I just didn't like the zip ties. It's all just personal preference. Hopefully they last longer then the OEM crap.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Should I still wrap the upper coils of the B&G springs? Or was the noise problems mostly related to H&R springs?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Should I still wrap the upper coils of the B&G springs? Or was the noise problems mostly related to H&R springs?
My B&G's were quiet for about a week. Then the creaks came. They settled in a bit and the two top coils sit on top of each other.

Breaux124, I have some plastic isolators that work perfect for keeping the coils apart. My company sells these plastic clips that wound up to be perfect for keeping spring coils apart. I'd be happy to send you out a few as "Samples". I'll snap a pic of where they go on the springs for you as well. You can put them on after the springs are in your car. Just jack up the car and snap these on.
The creaks usually happen in the morning when you first start driving, then there gone for the rest of the day usually.

PM me if you'd like me to send these out to you.

Tom
Old 07-09-2002, 07:52 PM

I'd be happy to send you out a few as "Samples".
Hey if you're still giving out samples I'd love to be a tester I have yet to figure out a way to get rid of my crunching, and I think it has something to do with the spring coils.
-hype
Old 07-10-2002, 06:17 AM

Breaux124, I have some plastic isolators that work perfect for keeping the coils apart. My company sells these plastic clips that wound up to be perfect for keeping spring coils apart. I'd be happy to send you out a few as "Samples". I'll snap a pic of where they go on the springs for you as well. You can put them on after the springs are in your car. Just jack up the car and snap these on.
The creaks usually happen in the morning when you first start driving, then there gone for the rest of the day usually.

PM me if you'd like me to send these out to you.

Tom
Thanks Alot, I'm sending you a PM.

On another Note, check this site out:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...cfm?siteid=840

Add the year, make, and model of your car and then you can search for OEM parts. Once you get to a part description that you want, you can click the "View Illus" button and it shows a basic FSM diagram and you can click on a part number and it'll show you the name and price of the part. It's really well done and very helpful.

Not sure how good their prices are, but the website's interactivity is amazing.