5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to Fix/reset Sunroof motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Play with my balls

good deal, i figured one of the options given would have worked. something must be wrong with your car!!! you're radio and clock shouldn't have done that......j/k
Old 03-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Audioguy
An update to my sunroof problem. I disconnected the battery as suggested and it fixed the problem. I did lose my radio settings and clock but that seems to be all.
Audioguy...I did the exact same thing the 1st time this problem with my sunroof happened, and it worked fine....BUT...3 weeks later it started doing the exact same thing (go to slide it open, and the glass moves about an inch or 2 and stops). So I did the battery disconnect again...this time it worked ok for like 3 days. I have heard that the channells for the glass need to be lubed with lithium grease, but have'nt had a chance to do this...as soon as the weather gets a little better up here I will try.

Please let us know if your problem returns...

I'd like to avoid a 300 dollar sunroof motor
Old 03-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Play with my balls

I'm tellin ya guys, try the relay thing. less than 30 seconds if you can find it, and no returning issues.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Deckdout2...will give it a shot tonight If it's still lite out when I get home from work....
Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wanted to try the relay but I just wasn't sure where it was located. I am reluctant to pull out components randomly from under my dash. I bet it's a better option though. If this happens again like Y2KsilvahSE suggests I might give it a try.

Does anyonyone have a diagram of components for a 2001 Maxima?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My first post here. I found the relay (perfect instructions) and this solved my problem. My dealer wanted shop fee for diag, and this saved me big time. Thanks guys.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
ok it's under the dash, little grey box says nissan on the back of it and should have the numbers 22340 under Nissan. it's right above the foot rest to the left the the clutch or brake pedal spring. my camera just crapped out on me, sorry don't have pics. its plugged into this white box. hope you find it.
2003 SE

Suppose the relay isn't clicking underneath the dash while pressing the tilt up/down? I hold the tilt switch down, hear the motor click yet I get nothing. Pulled the motor down to see if it might have been in a bind but no go(tapped it a few times too) Tried reading the wiring diagrams to find out where this relay is but I get too damn confused haha. My tilt up/down is not working. Does this sound like the relay could be the issue?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Because you have a 2002-2003 Maxima you can just press and hold the tilt button until you hear a click from the sunroof motor and it will reset it. If you can hear the sunroof motor trying to work, chances are the relay is working like it should.

-Nathan
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Because you have a 2002-2003 Maxima you can just press and hold the tilt button until you hear a click from the sunroof motor and it will reset it. If you can hear the sunroof motor trying to work, chances are the relay is working like it should.

-Nathan
This works. I personally done it about a month ago.......10 second fix.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM

Mine must have a bad motor. I pulled the switch and motor down, hear and feel the motor 'click' but no turney. Junk yard here I come...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 PM

Confirmed. Motor was bad, and just to let you guys know, 2000-2001 have slightly different sunroof motors.... the 2000-2001 has a slightly longer black 'box' end that has a connector that sits flush with plastic, while the 2002-2003 has a a shorter 'box' end with the connector protruding out of the plastic....From what I have seen the assemblies are interchangeable but the motors are slightly different...
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

This thread is awesome and full of win. Last night my 2002 had some issues with a broken battery terminal and after replacing it this morning, my sunroof stopped working except for the tilt function. Searched org and found this thread- thankfully mine is 2002+ so I just held the tilt switch for a few seconds and BAM sure enough my slider option was working perfectly again! Love this place!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM

ok it's under the dash, little grey box says nissan on the back of it and should have the numbers 22340 under Nissan. it's right above the foot rest to the left the the clutch or brake pedal spring. my camera just crapped out on me, sorry don't have pics. its plugged into this white box. hope you find it.
It has 24430 on it, with a white plug on the end of it. Two wires both white, one with a red line and one with a black line. My sunroof isn't working at all. My fuse is good as well as this box. I guess motor time.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
GTO
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof Not working...

Hello Experts,

My first post after the introduction. I had picked up a 2003 Maxima SE about a month back and the sunroof was n't working when I bought it.The previous owner told that it worked few days back. I took the car to a local mechanic and he told the switch is bad. I changed the switch, but absolutely no movement to sunroof. I could hear the clicking sound. The local mechanic is now says to change the sunroof motor. I am not very convinced by this. Could you pls suggest what needs to be done?

I thought of disconencting the battery, but the same local mechanic told me that if I dicsonenct the battrey for more than 20 mts, the car needs a reprogramming again.Is this correct?

Appreciate your suggestions.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by GTO
Hello Experts,

My first post after the introduction. I had picked up a 2003 Maxima SE about a month back and the sunroof was n't working when I bought it.The previous owner told that it worked few days back. I took the car to a local mechanic and he told the switch is bad. I changed the switch, but absolutely no movement to sunroof. I could hear the clicking sound. The local mechanic is now says to change the sunroof motor. I am not very convinced by this. Could you pls suggest what needs to be done?

I thought of disconencting the battery, but the same local mechanic told me that if I dicsonenct the battrey for more than 20 mts, the car needs a reprogramming again.Is this correct?

Appreciate your suggestions.
You can disconnect the battery and touch the positive terminal to the negative terminal for at least 10 seconds. This will completely reset all of the car's electrical system and motors.

DO NOT TOUCH THE TERMINALS TOGETHER WHILE EITHER OF THEM ARE CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY! YOU WILL FRY YOUR BATTERY AND POSSIBLY MORE IF YOU DO!

Disconnect both terminals from their posts and touch only the terminals together.

-Nathan
Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 PM
GTO
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dfj240
You can disconnect the battery and touch the positive terminal to the negative terminal for at least 10 seconds. This will completely reset all of the car's electrical system and motors.

DO NOT TOUCH THE TERMINALS TOGETHER WHILE EITHER OF THEM ARE CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY! YOU WILL FRY YOUR BATTERY AND POSSIBLY MORE IF YOU DO!

Disconnect both terminals from their posts and touch only the terminals together.

-Nathan
Thanks for the reply Nathan. You mean to say, I need to touch the wire that is connected to the positive terminal of the battery to the negative terminal for around 10 secs?

Appreciate your response..
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replying to post #7, identifying the means to reset the sunroof motor on a 2K maxima, the poster identified an alternative to disconnecting the battery, which of course wipes out radio presets, engine codes, etc. They refer to removing a relay from under the dash.

I believe the device you are referring to is a circuit breaker...it is identified as E90 in the manual.

I only mention this because a circuit breaker will not click...normally...if it does, you've bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by bob2246; 08-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM

although this could be as effective and get the same results. sounds like a little bit more work. to me just unplugging the relay and plugging it back in is a little easier. thanks for the additional how to though.
where is the relay !
Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sunroof reset , tried everything nothing works ( 5.5 gen )

Heres the deal , when I try to open the sunroof is moves only a inch at a time by pressing the button over and over again , so that tells me the motor is still good right?

anyway I tried the disconnect battery didn't work , I unplugged the relay didn't work , and I held the tilt button down one sec as the manual says? ... didn't work...

what the heck is going on?

I have a 2002 btw if that helps.

also can something explain the 2 different buttons to me? the 'tilt' button seems to work for everything? but he button to the left does nothing.. idk im clueless lol
Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for this thread

June 16, 2014 I bought a gorgeous 03 Maxima Titanium Edition, the best care I've EVER driven. I just joined here today in part because I wanted to thank you all for the information about resetting my sunroof. Holding down the tilt close button did it for me - put a big smile on my face. I really look forward to reading more threads. Thanks again
Old 01-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

relay removal help

Hope someone can help. I have tried the battery trick with no success. Want to try to remove the relay but can't figure out how to remove the dang thing. Can anyone help. Thx.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FifthGenMax
Heres the deal , when I try to open the sunroof is moves only a inch at a time by pressing the button over and over again , so that tells me the motor is still good right?

anyway I tried the disconnect battery didn't work , I unplugged the relay didn't work , and I held the tilt button down one sec as the manual says? ... didn't work...

what the heck is going on?

I have a 2002 btw if that helps.

also can something explain the 2 different buttons to me? the 'tilt' button seems to work for everything? but he button to the left does nothing.. idk im clueless lol
I'm also having this same problem and had no luck with the battery reset, relay reset, or tilt reset. I never hear a click from holding the tilt button either. Can anyone chime in on a fix?

Originally Posted by jjmax68
Hope someone can help. I have tried the battery trick with no success. Want to try to remove the relay but can't figure out how to remove the dang thing. Can anyone help. Thx.
You press the white tab in and pull the grey relay out
Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update

After messing with every reset combination I could find I finally got it to work. I tried so many I'm not exactly sure what finally fixed it but I believe it was a particular combination of the tilt button open/close/hold resets.

To answer one of the questions asked about how the buttons work, once everything is functing properly the right switch controls the tilt up and down only. For whatever reason during the malfunction it will let you inch the sunroof open and closed one click at a time. After reset it only tilts up and down and the left button slides it open/closed either all at once or anywhere in between depending on where you set it.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Weird angle but , the brake is I front of me at the bottoms right corner, the relay is up to the left, it's a gray or blue or black cube, take out, turn car on, then off, out back in and voila
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kgrizzle

Weird angle but , the brake is I front of me at the bottoms right corner, the relay is up to the left, it's a gray or blue or black cube, take out, turn car on, then off, out back in and voila
nice first post...

Last edited by The Wizard; 09-29-2015 at 08:23 PM.