5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PO505 - Idle air control valve replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Ah, I see. I will tell them to do the proper procedure, reset the memory and perform the learning procedure (which is a well-published action when replacing ECUs and such) and/or do an ECU reflash update. If that fails, replacement is on the horizon.

And thanks for the word on CBM; they didn't leave me with a good feeling, i.e., 100% satisfaction. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy

P.S. Reflashing is certainly a good idea. How much will they charge you?
I will certainly find that out and post it here for all interested parties...
Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM

The woman I am speaking to just told me that if the ECU has the current program already loaded into it, they can't load it again(?!?).
I dare say this car has never had a reason to have had anything done to the ECU to include having the most current program loaded into it. I think they just want to sell me a new/reman ECU which ain't cheap.

I am the second owner... Waiting for a response now (sighs).
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM

The only thing that will take care of the idle problems are the nissan consults. This has to be a relearn procedure. This is the only way you will fix the problems on the 02+ maximas.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 04-28-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
The only thing that will take care of the idle problems are the nissan consults. This has to be a relearn procedure. This is the only way you will fix the problems on the 02+ maximas.
NOT true, at least not for the 2000. I have never had to do any re-learning, and I have had my car for 15+ years. In the worst case, disconnect the battery overnight and you'll be fine.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by aongch
Does the ECM control any of the cold/hot air circulation through the vents? Still stumped.
Still stumped on why I'm only getting hot air into the car. All fuses look fine. Do I need to pull the console and examine the hot/cold air slider and doors? I didn't think working on the ECM caused this. Any ideas?

Btw, since the IACV install and hose bypass, idle is perfectly fine, no re-learn was needed.

Last edited by aongch; 05-06-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:13 AM

Update: the ECU/ECM is still bad, could not be reflashed so I told the stealership to order a new one. It arrived and works but they do not want to gamble on pairing it permanently with a non-OEM IACV and the ones they can order cannot be guaranteed with a warranty (or some such) so I am ordering one myself and having it shipped there. Still saving money so far so that is good.

This is turning into a great fiasco IMO. What bothers me the most is the stealership is just a parts replacer and they don't readily perform diagnostics until you prod them; the same can probably be said for the vast majority of service depts but the fact that I'm telling them to reflash the ECU and to try other things just lowers my opinion of them even more (if that's possible).
Old 05-06-2015, 02:32 PM

Courtesyparts.com are out of stock on the IACV so it was ordered from oemnissanparts.com in TX. A bit cheaper too.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Harquebus
Update: the ECU/ECM is still bad, could not be reflashed so I told the stealership to order a new one. It arrived and works but they do not want to gamble on pairing it permanently with a non-OEM IACV and the ones they can order cannot be guaranteed with a warranty (or some such) so I am ordering one myself and having it shipped there. Still saving money so far so that is good.

This is turning into a great fiasco IMO. What bothers me the most is the stealership is just a parts replacer and they don't readily perform diagnostics until you prod them; the same can probably be said for the vast majority of service depts but the fact that I'm telling them to reflash the ECU and to try other things just lowers my opinion of them even more (if that's possible).
How much is the dealer asking for the "new" ECU?
At any rate, re. the matching problem: You can mitigate it by replacing fuse #58 (15A) in "Fusible Link and Fuse Box" with a 7.5 A fuse. I have been now running with a 7.5A fuse for more than 3 months. I also know that a 6A fuse blows within a week or two. This is not a guaranteed protection, but a much better protection than with the OEM set-up; more on this on this thread https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...d-seconds.html .
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Harquebus
Courtesyparts.com are out of stock on the IACV so it was ordered from oemnissanparts.com in TX. A bit cheaper too.
So how did everything turn out? Im goin thru a similar situation now
Old 06-02-2015, 03:16 AM

Bypass IACV like others, if you got no heat all of sudden, you might have let air into the coolant system...burb it after checking for the leak and fixing it, you will smell it after driving (Antifreeze). If you got only heat like someone else, you should start by checking the amount of refrigerant in the system. If the amount is what the factory recommend, the check the "Refrigerant Pressure Switch" and the "Ambient Sensor". Sensor or harness could be damage.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IAC problems, possibly fried ECM, is it worth fixing?

Thanks for this thread! I have a 1996 Infiniti I30 with 116k. Same as the maxima, 01-03,I have been told. My car had a pending code when my mechanic noticed I had a coolant leak that was for a knock sensor. He reset the codes and added a lil coolant in overfill tank. The knock sensor pending code came back, no actual light on yet. I was going to order part but I started stalling when idling at a stoplight then almost got hit turning into a turn and it died. Had to towed to mechanic and he fixed knock sensor since that was still only pending code. Fixed it and pending code went away but as soon as he picked me up, it stalled when going slow on a turn again. He thought this was separate problem. Tried fuel cleaner and premium gas. Didn’t work. He wasn’t sure so I started researching. Saw that my IAC valve commonly gets clogged or fails in this car. No check engine light, no pending codes at this point...still intermittently stalling, more so when it’s warmer, even though a few times it’s happened when cold. I saw on a forum to try taking the IAC valve off and cleaning. Had a mobile mechanic come clean, carbon buildup was bad, he seemed to think it is the problem cause it was so dirty. We did sea foam in the fuel tank and down the intake manifold. He said if you can let it sit a day or two, it’ll clean it even better. He did turn the switch and reset codes. I started it two days later almost and smoked out the neighbors, holy smoke!!! No check engine lights came back on like he thought may happen. It seemed to idle correctly for a bit and I drove it about 20 miles, parked and It sat for an hour. When I went to start it again and drive, it started idling rough within a minute and tried to stall several times in that 20 mile drive back. It did stall fully two times and cranked back up when gassing hard. Then when driving going about 40mph, the tach started jumping a lil like it was struggling to go. I had to keep gassing it every stop after this to make it home. Seemed it got worse possible. Mechanic came back and made sure connected everything back. Drove it and it stalled shortly after warming it up a little. This time it stalled and when he tried to start again without gassing, it kept cutting off. After it sat for a few minutes, it cranked and stayed on for a minute without gassing and we drove back to house. Checked codes when back, still no light, and pending codes finally appeared for P0505 and 02 sensor. Cleared codes, restarted, now only showing pending 02. After reading this forum I see this can be a nightmare as it already has. I put $900 into this car the past three months and it’s getting close to reaching value not that it’s so old. 900 because it sat for a year, was grandmas car, and had to replace rear brakes and totors, radiator (was stemming and it cracked but got fixed right away, noise gone after replacing.) this other coolant leak was found shortly after this and it is towards back of engine, not in front, at least that’s where it smoked a little or I could smell burning. My questions are do I try and go further with this car or is it not worth it? It’s tough since it’s only 116k but I also know my axle is going. Now after reading, it could be many problems....is the coolant leaking where it could have fried ECM or do I just need to replace the IAC? Since cleaning the IAC, I didn’t think it needed idle learning but does it? I feel I could try to remove ECM and look at it but this would be a first, looks like a wrench is all I need. I’m outta money to keep guessing. Opinions please help?!
Old 12-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kitkat1023
Thanks for this thread! I have a 1996 Infiniti I30 with 116k. Same as the maxima, 01-03,I have been told. My car had a pending code when my mechanic noticed I had a coolant leak that was for a knock sensor. He reset the codes and added a lil coolant in overfill tank. The knock sensor pending code came back, no actual light on yet. I was going to order part but I started stalling when idling at a stoplight then almost got hit turning into a turn and it died. Had to towed to mechanic and he fixed knock sensor since that was still only pending code. Fixed it and pending code went away but as soon as he picked me up, it stalled when going slow on a turn again. He thought this was separate problem. Tried fuel cleaner and premium gas. Didn’t work. He wasn’t sure so I started researching. Saw that my IAC valve commonly gets clogged or fails in this car. No check engine light, no pending codes at this point...still intermittently stalling, more so when it’s warmer, even though a few times it’s happened when cold. I saw on a forum to try taking the IAC valve off and cleaning. Had a mobile mechanic come clean, carbon buildup was bad, he seemed to think it is the problem cause it was so dirty. We did sea foam in the fuel tank and down the intake manifold. He said if you can let it sit a day or two, it’ll clean it even better. He did turn the switch and reset codes. I started it two days later almost and smoked out the neighbors, holy smoke!!! No check engine lights came back on like he thought may happen. It seemed to idle correctly for a bit and I drove it about 20 miles, parked and It sat for an hour. When I went to start it again and drive, it started idling rough within a minute and tried to stall several times in that 20 mile drive back. It did stall fully two times and cranked back up when gassing hard. Then when driving going about 40mph, the tach started jumping a lil like it was struggling to go. I had to keep gassing it every stop after this to make it home. Seemed it got worse possible. Mechanic came back and made sure connected everything back. Drove it and it stalled shortly after warming it up a little. This time it stalled and when he tried to start again without gassing, it kept cutting off. After it sat for a few minutes, it cranked and stayed on for a minute without gassing and we drove back to house. Checked codes when back, still no light, and pending codes finally appeared for P0505 and 02 sensor. Cleared codes, restarted, now only showing pending 02. After reading this forum I see this can be a nightmare as it already has. I put $900 into this car the past three months and it’s getting close to reaching value not that it’s so old. 900 because it sat for a year, was grandmas car, and had to replace rear brakes and totors, radiator (was stemming and it cracked but got fixed right away, noise gone after replacing.) this other coolant leak was found shortly after this and it is towards back of engine, not in front, at least that’s where it smoked a little or I could smell burning. My questions are do I try and go further with this car or is it not worth it? It’s tough since it’s only 116k but I also know my axle is going. Now after reading, it could be many problems....is the coolant leaking where it could have fried ECM or do I just need to replace the IAC? Since cleaning the IAC, I didn’t think it needed idle learning but does it? I feel I could try to remove ECM and look at it but this would be a first, looks like a wrench is all I need. I’m outta money to keep guessing. Opinions please help?!
I ended up sending the computee to cali and for 90 bux they rebuilt it, I went to pepboys autoparts and exchanged the IAC I had installed, after all that still had the issue of code poppin up, I did a waiver with emissions and the tags were good, drove it around like a couple weeks and the code magically disappeared. I assume it was a relearn issue, I was told the dealer needed to do that portion but it seems to habe tooken care of itself, I still would recommend using the oem part(hitachi IAC on mine gor example) and having computer relaired for those who have had the IAC fry the computer, theres a place in Cali on ebay that had an excellent reputation and is very reasonable, mine was 90 bux, I hate to repeat myself but if I could do it all over, I woulda bought hitachi IAC from TASCA parts online, sent out computer to repair snd then had dealership do relearn at 125, it woulda saved me a ton of frustration. Just fyi I am a electronics tech and I opened the computer and found the burned out chip, found the chip and replaced it, I still had the code after, so to be on the safeside I sent the computer out, if you ask me it was wortj it because they actually test the computer, if you go the route I did and then the computers bad your gonna be pullin your hair out, I couldnt tell ya if you have a similar issue to what I had but thats just my resolve to date.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JUSTRIGIT
I ended up sending the computee to cali and for 90 bux they rebuilt it, I went to pepboys autoparts and exchanged the IAC I had installed, after all that still had the issue of code poppin up, I did a waiver with emissions and the tags were good, drove it around like a couple weeks and the code magically disappeared. I assume it was a relearn issue, I was told the dealer needed to do that portion but it seems to habe tooken care of itself, I still would recommend using the oem part(hitachi IAC on mine gor example) and having computer relaired for those who have had the IAC fry the computer, theres a place in Cali on ebay that had an excellent reputation and is very reasonable, mine was 90 bux, I hate to repeat myself but if I could do it all over, I woulda bought hitachi IAC from TASCA parts online, sent out computer to repair snd then had dealership do relearn at 125, it woulda saved me a ton of frustration. Just fyi I am a electronics tech and I opened the computer and found the burned out chip, found the chip and replaced it, I still had the code after, so to be on the safeside I sent the computer out, if you ask me it was wortj it because they actually test the computer, if you go the route I did and then the computers bad your gonna be pullin your hair out, I couldnt tell ya if you have a similar issue to what I had but thats just my resolve to date.
Thank you for the opinion!!! Not sure anyone would see this considering last post was 2015. Sounds like this no matter what may be too costly considering I have a coolant leak too and have no idea where that’s coming from yet, who knows I could just keep topping it off and it be fine. Next step I am about to do is disconnect negative terminal on battery for 30 min and see if resetting ECM helps since We never did that after cleaning throttle body, IAC, and pouring sea foam in intake. He only reset codes with code reader (read this is different.) Praying this works! Otherwise, fair value KBB is 1400.... May sell (if can) since I already put close to 1k in it but I don’t wanna 😞