5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

code help!!!! PO740

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:57 PM

code help!!!! PO740

hey guys, i just got my service engine light on, so i went to autozone to figure out what it was...they used their little scanner to check it and it gave them "PO740" code, i asked what it was, and they told me that they cant figure it out, its a "dealer" code lol...
anyone had this problem before...Iam guessing its MAF filter,
i need help asap, i want to know what it is..
thanks guys
huso
Old 02-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Generic code:
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM

wtf is that lol?
should i visit my dealer?
where did you find the CODE thingy...
i've looked at stickies but no luck
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 PM

I got it from the manual of an OBDII code reader. Not sure exactly what it is but it's related to automatic transmissions, maybe some else can jump in to help.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:54 PM

wow that would suck...
is there any chance that my tranny might be bad? lol
it seems fine, it shifts really good ....
HELP NEEDED PLS,
i wont be able to sleep tonite lol, if i keep thinking TRANNY TRANNY TRANNY lol
help help
pls
Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

aFrom alldata

The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the TCM in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and throttle position sensors. Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled.
Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.
When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8 in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
Check the following items.

Torque converter clutch solenoid valve
Harness or connectors (The solenoid circuit is open or shorted.)

WIRING DIAGRAM - AT - TCV

Diagnostic Procedure

1: CHECK VALVE RESISTANCE
between ground and terminal # 5..(bottom left) .should be between 10 - 20 ohms
2: CHECK VALVE OPERATION

3: CHECK POWER SOURCE CIRCUIT

4: CHECK DTC

5: CHECK TCM INSPECTION
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM

so, should i just check my local dealer or?
is there anyway that my tranny is f***ed up?
thanks guys
huso
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 PM

my engine light was on for about 10000 miles, and spontaneously went off.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by shift_2kmaxima
so, should i just check my local dealer or?
is there anyway that my tranny is f***ed up?
thanks guys
huso
I think that code is related to your auto tranny. It is the line pressure selenoid that is throwing the code and yes you should have the dealer check it out. There is a TSB out there for that code. If I can find it I'll let you know.

try this... it calls for a P0745 code.... may not be the right TSB but here you go....

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-001.htm
Old 02-22-2006, 11:10 AM

i just went to my dealer, and he test drove my car, with some computer thing idk what its called, and he hooked it up...and he told me that it's not showing him a lot...it just says that sometimes my torque converter thingy is locked up... I think i might be wrong...so iam not getting one of the gears....My SES light came off, but while i was driving from the dealer it came ON again...
so idk...I'll talk to my dad..and i'll see what we'll do....
because in the near future my tranny will die on me anyways, i am close to having 80k miles...
so idk
but if anyone has any more info...pls help
thanks
huso
Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by kcowden
I think that code is related to your auto tranny. It is the line pressure selenoid that is throwing the code and yes you should have the dealer check it out. There is a TSB out there for that code. If I can find it I'll let you know.

try this... it calls for a P0745 code.... may not be the right TSB but here you go....

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-001.htm
according to troublecodes.com/nissan
it says that P0740 TCC Solenoid Valve
which iam guessing has to do with the site that you gave me...has anyone fixed this before, is it a weekend job? or do i need to have a profesiional do it? thank you,
huso selimovic
Old 02-22-2006, 10:28 PM

Looking at all data. Looks like the Part # is 31526-30x01 and is located in an assembly with right next to shift soleniod A...
Doesn't have a book time for the TCC solenoid, but book time for solenoid A is 2 hours. 1.4 if under warranty.

Solenoid Valve Assembly Replacement (or in your case TCC solenoid only, but same procedure, just leave the other 3 alone)

IMPORTANT : Maintain absolute cleanliness when working on or handling any of the internal transaxle components. Use lint-free rags and make sure dirt and debris do not come in contact with any of the internal transaxle components.

(THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: EVER HEARD OF THE RED TOWEL DISEASE?....THE RED TOWELS PEOPLE USE TO WIPE OIL,ETC OFF LEAVES SMALL PEICES OF "LINT" IN THE TRANNY. EVEN THIS WILL SCREW UP THE TRANNY AS THE VB VALLEYS ARE VERY SMALL)
1. Record the radio presets.

2. Ensure the ignition key is in the OFF position.

3. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

4. Remove the engine under-cover and side cover (splash covers).

5. Disconnect the vehicle harness connector from the solenoid valve assembly harness connector (see Figure 1). Then, remove the snap ring from the solenoid harness connector (see Figure 1).

6. Push down on the solenoid harness terminal connector to remove it from the connector body hole.

7. Remove ONLY the thirteen 10-mm bolts, which are shown in black and called out with arrows in Figure 2, that hold the control valve assembly to the transaxle. Then, remove the control valve assembly.

NOTE : Be careful not to drop the manual valve shaft, the servo release accumulator return spring or the lip seals. Also be careful not to damage the control valve assembly sealing gasket.

8. Inspect the control valve strainer for debris. Remove and clean strainer as needed.

IMPORTANT : If the support plate bolts are accidentally loosened or removed, hold the support plates (on the other side of the valve body) with a suitable tool and re-tighten the support plate bolts to 3.4 - 4.4 Nm (0.35 - 0.45 kg-m, 30.4 - 39.1 in-lb). Refer to Figure 3. When re-tightening the support plate bolts, make sure the support plates are positioned so they do not cover the holes next to the support plates (see Figure 3).

9. Remove the solenoid valve assembly from the control valve assembly (see Figure 4).

10. Inspect the new solenoid valve assembly and confirm the O-ring(s) for each solenoid valve is properly seated in the O-ring groove. Also confirm there is no damage or cuts on any of the O-rings. Replace damaged O-rings (see Figure 5 below for the O-ring P/Ns).

11. Lubricate each solenoid valve O-ring with Nissan Matic-D ATF.

12. Install the new solenoid valve assembly onto the control valve assembly. Then use an appropriate torque wrench to tighten all mounting bolts to 7 - 9 Nm (61 - 78 in-lbs). See Figure 4.

IMPORTANT : The solenoid valve assembly is secured with bolts of varying lengths. Make sure the bolts are re-installed in their original locations (see Figure 4).

13. Inspect the four lip seals on the transaxle to ensure they are in their original locations and are not damaged or dislodged (see Figure 6). Replace damaged lip seals (lip seal P/N: 31528-31X06).

NOTE : Damaged or dislodged lip seals will cause improper shifting.

14. Position the control valve assembly on the transaxle ensuring the manual valve shaft correctly engages the manual plate (see Figure 7) and install all mounting bolts in their original locations finger tight at first (see Figure 8). Then, using an appropriate torque wrench tighten all mounting bolts in a crisscross pattern to 7 - 9 Nm (61 - 78 in-lbs).

IMPORTANT :The control valve assembly is secured with bolts of varying lengths. Make sure the bolts are re-installed in their original locations (see Figure 8).

15. Position and re-connect the solenoid valve assembly wire harness as follows:

A. Clean the inside surface of the transaxle hole for the harness connector body.

B. Inspect the harness connector body O-ring for damage or cuts. If damaged, replace the O-ring (O-ring P/N: 31526-31X12).

C. Lubricate the harness connector body O-ring with Nissan Matic-D ATF.

D. Insert the harness connector body in the transaxle connector body hole and re-install the snap ring on the connector body. If the snap ring is damaged, replace it (O-ring P/N: 31506-80X11).

E. Connect the vehicle harness to the solenoid harness connector.

16. Clean the transaxle oil pan and remove all gasket material.

17. Re-install the oil pan with a new gasket to the transaxle using new mounting bolts. Tighten oil pan mounting bolts using an appropriate torque wrench in a criss-cross pattern to 7 - 9 Nm (61 - 78 in-lbs).

18. Re-install the oil pan drain plug. Tighten the drain plug using an appropriate torque wrench to 29 - 39 Nm (22 - 29 ft-lb).

19. Re-install the engine under-cover and side cover (splash covers).

20. Re-connect the negative battery cable.

21. Re-fill the transaxle with 3 quarts of Nissan Matic-D ATF.

22. Check ATF level with the engine warm and at idle speed and with the vehicle on a level surface. Add fluid accordingly.

CAUTION : Be careful not to overfill the transaxle with ATF.

23. Road test vehicle to check for proper shift operation. Also check for fluid leaks.

24. Re-program all radio presets.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:31 PM

is that instruction on how to do it?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Yea, but without pics lol.
Otherwise the part # is listed and labor should be about 2 hours according to aldata...Figure out shop rate and parts cost (including tranny fluid, potential disposal fee for the old fluid,ETC.) and that would be your total.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Looking at all data. Looks like the Part # is 31526-30x01 and is located in an assembly with right next to shift soleniod A...Solenoid Valve Assembly Replacement (or in your case TCC solenoid only, but same procedure, just leave the other 3 alone)
Can anyone please give me a web link on how I can get just the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid as I don't need the entire valve assembly. The part number in the quoted post is incorrect.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
Can anyone please give me a web link on how I can get just the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid as I don't need the entire valve assembly. The part number in the quoted post is incorrect.
Me too. Anyone know Where to find the individual Solenoids?

Update: I ended up buying the whole Solenoid pack - about $150 from Rock. Torque converter lock-up fixed!.

Last edited by philsmax00; 07-27-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by philsmax00
Me too. Anyone know Where to find the individual Solenoids?

Update: I ended up buying the whole Solenoid pack - about $150 from Rock. Torque converter lock-up fixed!.
I have this same issue going on on my 2000 maxima. Could someone provide the link to the correct part for the whole solenoid pack on rock auto?