5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP/Suggestions re:P1320 & P0505... yes I searched already!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP/Suggestions re:P1320 & P0505... yes I searched already!!!

Sup Fellas,

When I was at HIN in NY w/my car last Saturday... I had it running for the show in the early afternoon so I could play my system etc.... a little later in the afternoon I noticed, the car had shut off by itself. I ended up having to get my car towed home from the show and it has'nt started since. It cranks but it wont start.
Hooked it up to my Actron and I'm getting a P1320 code (coils) and a P0505 (IACV). After researching I decided to pull the IACV and clean it along with cleaning to TB. Not too worried about the coils yet because the car was running fine before it shut off. I wanted to clean the IACV before I sprang for a new one and I figured I might as well clean the TB too. While researching I saw that alot of the guys who got the P0505 code had a fried ECU also. I have E-Manage and I hope this is not the case w/me.
Anyway... whats more puzzling is that the car cranks but wont start bad coils or a bad IACV shouldnt completely prevent the car from starting right? I researched that there were rough start issues, stalling issues but nothing that should prevent starting.
I'm hoping its something more simple like a bad crank sensor or cam sensor and not a bad ECU. I have'nt tested or changed the sensors yet because I have'nt gotten any codes for those things. I'm still trying to get an accurate diagnosis before I start buying parts. I'm stuck guys... any help would be appreciated.

Deac
Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM
retired moderator

I don't really have any real answer for you, but let me just ask one "stupid" question, since sometimes it's the simplest, stupidest thing that is the problem:

- Are you sure you didn't run out of fuel?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:19 AM

yeah

Yeah I have plenty of fuel.... and I just retested the car w/ODBII and the P0505 code is still there even though I cleaned the IACV so I guess I ned a new one right? The computer still seems to be ok and reading fine so I dont think its blown. Can anyone suggest anything?

Deac
Old 08-21-2006, 12:38 PM

bump

still need help fellas.... wanna get everything squared away while we still have the good weather and i can actually drive the car.

Deac
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deac
still need help fellas.... wanna get everything squared away while we still have the good weather and i can actually drive the car.

Deac

Since installed new spark plugs, a new iacv. I still have a coil thats throwing an error code but that shouldnt stop the car from starting.... Any suggestions guys? Alternator maybe?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
WSH for teh cup

I am new to the maxima scene and I can only relate to youe experience. My brother is a mechanic and I will contact him to try to help. I have a 2000 maxima i bought less than a week ago and I am throwing the same codes as you are. But my car runs fine and doesn't have stalling issues. Just a high idle (1,000-1,600). I have a new IACV on order and can only hope my ECU isn't fried. How do I test if the ECU is good or not?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did anyone find a resolution to this question?, I am having the same issue
Old 04-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sup Fellas,

When I was at HIN in NY w/my car last Saturday... I had it running for the show in the early afternoon so I could play my system etc.... a little later in the afternoon I noticed, the car had shut off by itself. I ended up having to get my car towed home from the show and it has'nt started since. It cranks but it wont start.
Hooked it up to my Actron and I'm getting a P1320 code (coils) and a P0505 (IACV). After researching I decided to pull the IACV and clean it along with cleaning to TB. Not too worried about the coils yet because the car was running fine before it shut off. I wanted to clean the IACV before I sprang for a new one and I figured I might as well clean the TB too. While researching I saw that alot of the guys who got the P0505 code had a fried ECU also. I have E-Manage and I hope this is not the case w/me.
Anyway... whats more puzzling is that the car cranks but wont start bad coils or a bad IACV shouldnt completely prevent the car from starting right? I researched that there were rough start issues, stalling issues but nothing that should prevent starting.
I'm hoping its something more simple like a bad crank sensor or cam sensor and not a bad ECU. I have'nt tested or changed the sensors yet because I have'nt gotten any codes for those things. I'm still trying to get an accurate diagnosis before I start buying parts. I'm stuck guys... any help would be appreciated.

Deac
Did you ever find a solution to the problem?, I am having the same issue w the 2 codes p1320 and p505, car wont start.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM

It's my belief that your primary problem is your P0505 code. It tells you that your IACV failed, and that it probably took out your ECU out as well. (Read this note https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...psNVBqUVk/view if you want more details). So, your IACV is damaged. Re. your ECU, it's probably also damaged but if you are lucky, perhaps not. Take it out, smell it, and decide whether it's damaged or not.

In either case, fix your P0505/IACV/ECU problem first, following the guidelines in the note. Then, address your P1320 problem, if it's still there.

IMPORTANT: While you have your P0505, don't just keep cranking your car! You'll kill your pre-cats! If desperate, your can try to start the car by giving it a lot of gas ..... .
Old 07-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Sup Fellas,

Deac
I think I can tell you what you need to know my friend, I currently have 2000 maxima se manual but before this I had my 2001 maxima se that had guess what... P0505,p1320,p0300, and evaporate codes idgaf about. Unfortunately all of these codes were separate issues.

For me p1320 I solved by replacing all 6 coils the day I finally got p0305 I knew coil #5 crapped out also just do all 6 spark plugs while your their. My symptoms for the code was shaking at idle only at a stop the shaking(misfire) was very slight at first but progressively got worse and more unbearable.

P0505 randomly showed on my car for awhile before it had any affect really until it started to affect the idle my would drive 2 different ways either super low idle like under 500 or super high idle at like 2000 rpms, the car would do ****ed up idle surging and what not I just drove the damn thing anyways until one day my car stalled while going 50 mph letting off the gas, the next 2 days were sketchy car stalled randomly weird and **** and out of nowhere car WONT start. I replaced the iacv and housing and the car was able to run but still ran like crap.

What I'm trying to say really is don't throw parts don't test anything if you have p0505 bro go right under your dash next to the gas pedal rdmove the black kicker panel and there's your ecm remove the 4 screws holding your ecm to the mounting bracket also unplug the ecm as well obviously. If your a expert or don't know what the helm your doing it will only take you 5-20 mins to remove. Now you got your eyes in your hands remove the four faceplate screws on your ecm to expose the micraboard, now look for me I saw it in 5 seconds 2 burn marks on each side of the sta##### card, this is how I diagnosed my p0505 only took 20 mins.

If your is not fried bad try your iacv their known to fail due to the orange gasket ring tearing and leaking coolant into the sensor frying the sta card on your ecm this is why the iacv and ecm go hand in hand with this code is because usually the valve fries the ecm.

If your ecm is good and I mean does not physically burnt I would really consider it an issue, you can test the iacv but for me I actually inspected the valve when I had p0505 with no drivability issues the valve looked okay and by switching the key on and off the iacv moved up and down and made noise(functional)once the car wouldn't start I did check the valve again the same day I found my ecm to be fried and the iacv was pushed allllll the way out key on and off did nothing.

Summary/theory for my car my iacv started to fail threw p0505 over a span of 2 months The valve finally failed frying my ecm :/ replaced both iacv and ecm at same time fixed p0505 (you must replace both at the same time)

Sorry one last peice of info there are six ecms for our car okay? -->T3

Last edited by Maximakehd; 07-09-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

2006 post....
Old 07-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
2006 post....
Somebody from April 2016 needs the help and I'm sure he needs it lolo