5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ECM / ECU Engine Computer Compatibility & repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM

ECM / ECU Engine Computer Compatibility & repair

Hello...

I am wondering if the Engine Computer (ECM / ECU ) of Maxima's can be interchangably used as long as they are from 2000-01 and they have the same option of Traction Control System (TCS) and Same type of Transmission (ie. Automatic vs. Manual)
also wondering if Maxima and I30 will be the same story?

I have AllData program and when I look up the part number for ECM w/ TCS for Maxima and I30 2001 are the same part number as the part number I got from infiniti dealer. isnt that enough proof? don't you think?

I mean eventhough the ECMs of even the same exact kind of cars have different numbers printed on them still the part number nissan uses for them is the same..
that makes me believe that the hardware is the same but the software might be a bit different and that can be fixed with a dealer ECM reflash.

ie.
Engine Control Module With Traction Control for Maxima 00-01 with Automatic Transmission and I30 w/ TCS is the same thing 2371M5Y016RE

Any idea?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM

okay another difference could be...
if the car is Federal spec. or California spec.

so for now we have the following to diffrentiate the ECM of the 00-01 Maxima/I30:

1. Manual Trans. vs. Auto
2. With TCS or Without
3. Fed. spec. or CA (could be just software not sure)

I guess I will call nissan and try to get an honest person to answer me that!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM

sorry one more thing I forgot would you trust a rebuilt (repaired) ECM? do you know a good / cheap service?

I also just find this info on ECM ID# it is very old TSB from nissan does anyone has a new of it?

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB94-097.pdf

Last edited by DataMan; 03-19-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Called infiniti-parts.com and they said I need my vin to fin out which ECM works. there were 3 types for the same car and 2 of them had TCS and it was different based on the month and year that the vehicle was made.
Of course they don't deal with those letters written on them they have part number
in my case :
23710-5Y001
23710-5Y011
These both have TCS.
Then I gave the generic Part number I got from Dealer
23710-5Y016RE (the same as alldata parts) he said it is a newer model
well this one I guess fits everything in this class.
I tried to get the part from dealer but it is in box and I can not see the numbers on the actual unit. and no return on ECM. oh well
I guess junk yard and exact same number is the way to go for now.. unless someone out there can help out otherwise.

Last edited by DataMan; 03-20-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Willing to learn

Another thing you may consider: just get the correct used ECM for your application, w/TCS, whatever you need. Don't be too concerned with the exact part number.

This is why - when you take the car to Nissan to get the NATS programmed, they can download the latest version of the ECM program and install it for you. Each version of the ECM programming carries a different part number, that is what gives the ECM it's character, so to speak. The part number is never used on the case or external part of the ECM anyhow.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM

I am not sure if other org members have done it a bit differently, but when I replaced my ECM last year I went with the same matching number that was stamped on the ECM itself rather that the part number on the bracket that the ECM is mounted on. This is what I was instructed to do from the electrician at the dealership. In my case the bracket number which is the same part number Nissan uses in their computer system was 23710 6Y314, but the other number on the ECU A56-T63-ZP4 is what I really needed to make the match. On of course you want to double check that it came out of a car with the same transmission as yours and whether or not it has T/Control etc.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DataMan
Called infiniti-parts.com and they said I need my vin to fin out which ECM works. there were 3 types for the same car and 2 of them had TCS and it was different based on the month and year that the vehicle was made.
Of course they don't deal with those letters written on them they have part number
in my case :
23710-5Y001
23710-5Y011
These both have TCS.
Then I gave the generic Part number I got from Dealer
23710-5Y016RE (the same as alldata parts) he said it is a newer model
well this one I guess fits everything in this class.
I tried to get the part from dealer but it is in box and I can not see the numbers on the actual unit. and no return on ECM. oh well
I guess junk yard and exact same number is the way to go for now.. unless someone out there can help out otherwise.
If you check around at a few junkyards I am sure you will be able to find a ECM that came out of a car with pretty low miles. You are gonna end up paying a fraction of what a new one will cost you. In my case I paid $150 and it came from a Maxima with 18,000 miles on it. Stealer was charging $725. Just do a bit a searching online. Most junkyards have all the info on their website like VIN number of the car,mileage, price and some may even have pics too. This saves a lot of time calling and waiting on hold etc.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

+++WHERE CAN I GET A NEW OR REFURBED ECM FOR 2003 MAXIMA FOR A REASONABLE COST?++

Hired a guy to fix my alternator, turned out it wasn't that, took my ECM and my money and never came back. New ones are pricing around $950, used ones $465, anybody know of any other places to find them complete?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adlester
Hired a guy to fix my alternator, turned out it wasn't that, took my ECM and my money and never came back. New ones are pricing around $950, used ones $465, anybody know of any other places to find them complete?
contact member AACKSHUN he lives in the i dont have the fastest 5.5 thread
Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM

car-part.com.. about $60-100 for a ECU... either way you will need your keys reprogrammed
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM

I have had some luck with EBAY. I matched my part number on the face of ECM and purchased a rebuilt one with nice shiny new MB inside. You will need to reprogram the keys and there are some locksmiths that can do it. Might save a tow fee to dealer. Might be a good idea to discover what fried the ECM?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Ecm

Originally Posted by adlester
I found mine on ebay $150 and it works just fine.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:18 PM

The IACV

Originally Posted by Darkrock
I have had some luck with EBAY. I matched my part number on the face of ECM and purchased a rebuilt one with nice shiny new MB inside. You will need to reprogram the keys and there are some locksmiths that can do it. Might save a tow fee to dealer. Might be a good idea to discover what fried the ECM?
My IACV was not working and it fried a chip in my ECM
Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 PM

So are ECM's compatible between Maxima and I30? Given its the same year, transmission, tc/noTC?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by manilakid3
so are ecm's compatible between maxima and i30? Given its the same year, transmission, tc/notc?
yes ...some are...nissan makes infiniti...
Old 02-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by elica
yes ...some are...nissan makes infiniti...
So you swapped out a Maxima ECM into your Infiniti and got it flashed and it worked?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by manilakid3
So are ECM's compatible between Maxima and I30? Given its the same year, transmission, tc/noTC?
not sure what you mean in flashed but the ECM and IACV problem is solved but now i'm dealing with all 3 catalytic converters ...all 3 are bad...this car has been a nightmare...are you having these issues with yours?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 PM

ECM
Old 02-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Guys, hope this document helps to explain how/why our ECU fail: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...ew?usp=sharing .

Re. part numbers and ECU commonality across Nissan/Infinity, etc.: A serial Number of a component, such an the ECU, or of a bearing, or of any other part, usually UNIQUELY identifies the component at hand. The problem with an electronic component such as an ECU is that it can change personality depending on what program is loaded into its memory (RAM/PROM/EPROM/etc.). So, the part # is sometimes not sufficient to describe how the component behaves. By loading a new program, the manufacturer can change the behavior, eliminate past problems, improve performance, etc. Loading of a new program is often called "re-flashing". To uniquely identify a component such as our ECUs, people often use a pair (Serial#, Firmware Version #).